Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hope springs eternal but

What scares you most about this team besides injury?

I have to say the bullpen still has been a bit uneasy and this defense is going to struggle some with Nimmo in CF, Davis at 3rd base, Alonso at 1st and Smith in LF.

https://twitter.com/MarkASimonSays/s...68521661136896

I was going to post this thread last night but I hesitated. Then I saw Mark Simon's tweet so I didn't feel so alone lol.

Nope thatís a real problem.

Right now the pen starts to have

Gsellman who sucks ***
    Betances who is done
    Familia who now is more of 4.00 ERA guy
    Diaz who still scares you
    May who is like Diaz
    Loup who is a newcomer
    Castro who is a 4.00 ERA guy

The defense early in games may cost them games specially with contact guys starting.

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    What scares you most about this team besides injury?

I have to say the bullpen still has been a bit uneasy and this defense is going to struggle some with Nimmo in CF, Davis at 3rd base, Alonso at 1st and Smith in LF.

https://twitter.com/MarkASimonSays/s...68521661136896

I was going to post this thread last night but I hesitated. Then I saw Mark Simon's tweet so I didn't feel so alone lol.
    My biggest concerns are Diaz and Conforto.

Will Diaz be the elite closer we need or the 2019 version.

Is Conforto going to be pressing because him and Borass want to push for that 200-300 million contract.

I think the D is going to be a pleasant surprise. Nimmo, Dom and Davis are hard workers and I feel they have heard everything and have been working to improve.

Defense has improved with McNeil at 2nd, Lindor at SS and McCann at catcher. The rest of the defense is the same.

Starting pitching is leaps and bounds better than last year.

And May improves the bullpen.

With improvements to the overall depth of the bench. This team isnít looking at starting Eric Campbell anymore.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Defense has improved with McNeil at 2nd, Lindor at SS and McCann at catcher. The rest of the defense is the same.

With improvements to the overall depth of the bench. This team isnít looking at starting Eric Campbell anymore.
    Sure but that doesn't change the fact that there are players out of position or at the very least, mediocre defensively.

May helps the bullpen but its not like their bullpen was lights out last year. I still think its an area that may expose them over a full season.

The point of the thread was to focus on what concerns you about the team. Nothing concerns you?

Sure but that doesn't change the fact that there are players out of position or at the very least, mediocre defensively.

May helps the bullpen but its not like their bullpen was lights out last year. I still think its an area that may expose them over a full season.

The point of the thread was to focus on what concerns you about the team. Nothing concerns you?
    The Mets picked up some good young arms that will push some of those "old" guys (namely Betances and Familia) in the bullpen and some of the more unsteady ones as well (like Loup and Castro). If Diaz ain't doing it, they will find a few who will. I doubt that Diaz will get all the save opps anyway.

As for defense, we have only 1 playing out of position and that is Smith. Alonso, Davis and Nimmo are playing the positions they are most accustomed to and what they played primarily in the minors. Unfortunately they are just not good defenders, but they are the heart and soul of this team not to mention the heart and soul of the batting order. If you play the best defense, you end up taking 2 of them out of the order and are left with Smith at 1b and Nimmo in LF, Pillar or Almora in CF and probably Villar or Guillorme at 3b. Not a bad defensive team but won't win on the offensive side of the ball. Alonso will probably end up the DH on this team once it is adopted whether he likes it or not and Davis will be a bench piece at best - much like Jose Martinez will be this year.

The Mets still need a true everyday CF (Crow-Armstrong is years away) and a true everyday 3b (Vientos and Baty are years away).

Two things could immediately improve the Mets for 2021, get Shane Greene and the universal DH.

Bullpen yes, we seem to blow it every year trying build it. But really Iím not sold on the lineup except for Lindor and Dom Smith
    These guys are so underwhelming at times and never consistent. And forget about runners in scoring position.

Only Smith played out of position and he had 0 drs.

My concern is that we donít have any elite prospects ready to step in. Allan, Alvarez and Mauricio are more than a year away, our previous GM traded away high end prospects with not much to show for it.

I am excited that this team has 6 players that can easily post .800 ops with a wOBA over .340.

I love that we have a FO that will look to improve this team at the deadline if players become available that will allow us to make a run in the playoffs.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Nope thatís a real problem.

Right now the pen starts to have

Gsellman who sucks ***
    Betances who is done
    Familia who now is more of 4.00 ERA guy
    Diaz who still scares you
    May who is like Diaz
    Loup who is a newcomer
    Castro who is a 4.00 ERA guy

The defense early in games may cost them games specially with contact guys starting.
    That's definitely "Cup completely empty" right there. Could it be more depressing?

Quote Originally Posted by sieve00 View Post
    My biggest concerns are Diaz and Conforto.

Will Diaz be the elite closer we need or the 2019 version.

Is Conforto going to be pressing because him and Borass want to push for that 200-300 million contract.

I think the D is going to be a pleasant surprise. Nimmo, Dom and Davis are hard workers and I feel they have heard everything and have been working to improve.
    I agree with you on Dom and Nimmo. One of the biggest challenges we have had the past 2 years is handing guys a different glove and saying "Go get em" This year will be different IMO because we are telling them months ahead, "You are playing LF" Etc. Huge difference for JD Davis at third who now knows it is his position to lose. Saying "He Sucks" is implying he cant get any better.

Every single Knicks fan thought Randle was a complete flop. He fixed his issues and has become an all star. No reason to believe that JD Davis can't become passable defensively at 3B. He is young and athletic. I would bet he took 50,000 grounders in the offseason as well.

Nimmo was thrust into CF, now he understands it is his position. Let him practice, learn, absorb and then get better. This idea that someone sucks and can never improve on that baffles me.

My concern is that we donít have any elite prospects ready to step in. Allan, Alvarez and Mauricio are more than a year away, our previous GM traded away high end prospects with not much to show for it.

I am excited that this team has 6 players that can easily post .800 ops with a wOBA over .340.

I love that we have a FO that will look to improve this team at the deadline if players become available that will allow us to make a run in the playoffs.
    Only Smith played out of position?
    McNiel is a 2B not 3B
    Davis was playing LF
    Nimmo was playing CF when he was brought up as a corner OFer.

With a full year, spring training and the coaching These guys could get remarkably better.

Davis and Nimmo are out of position as well. Nimmo is not a CFer and Davis is not a 3rd baseman.

You mean the one major prospect in Kelenic? Justin Dunn sucked and they already have SP depth. Anthony Kay hasn't been overly impressive out of the pen either.

No one is saying not to be excited but that wasn't the point of the thread lol.

The thing that I am most worried about is the pressure that comes with high expectations. I think we saw Pete Alonso go through that in 2020 and Diaz go through it in 2019. I want to see them come out of the gate swinging. I do not think complacency will be an issue with actual MLB players waiting in the wings to back them up.

These young guys feast on the fans reactions and 2020 was a buzz kill in that way.

I think the fact that the Mets have/are invested in more modern technology will help the players with defense more than not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumť

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast