Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    The bullpen has too many questions still. Signing Shane Greene would be a great addition. Plus, it means he doesn't return to ATL which still seems very possible.

2 birds with 1 signing.

I personally think the bullpen is okay where it’s at. We all know how fickle and volatile bullpens can be and I think there are enough guys that can actually make a difference and be that lightning in a bottle, so to speak.

Diaz, Betances, Familia, Castro, Gsellman, Drew Smith, McWilliams, May, Kilomé, Loup, Lucchesi, Tarpley, Yamamoto, SRF, Zamora, Tommy Hunter, and probably a few other guys I’m missing...that’s a lot of depth, that can cover underperformance as well as injury...then there’s also when Lugo gets back, which is certainly an added bonus.

McWilliams, Kilomé, and Yamamoto I think are three guys that can make a sneaky good improvement to this team. I’m also still a believer in Gsellman but, we’ll see.

Personally I think defense is the biggest issue. Mets haven’t really improved the team with defense except for McCann. They just brought in spot starters and late game replacements - Villar, Pillar, and Almora but, we’ll see how things go.

I do think Nimmo will improve in CF, Dom will be passable in LF, and the infield defense will generally improve - except for Davis. He’s a hitter and nothing more, I think he’ll be a disaster at third over a full season but idk. I still think Chapman or Arenado would’ve been a smart route because of the likelihood of them saving 40 runs than JD over a full season.
    If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumé

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    I think the fact that the Mets have/are invested in more modern technology will help the players with defense more than not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Advanced defensive metrics only matter so much. If a player is a mediocre defender, you can't hide them forever. Sure, they'll be in better position to make plays based on where the balls are most likely to be hit but that's not going to fix those issues entirely.

Yeah I get Dom was an average LFer last year but he only played 161 innings there. That equates to less than 20 games. Nimmo is not a CFer. Davis is not a 3rd baseman. Alonso is not great defensively at 1st.

This isn't a good defensive team. They have some reserves who can help that but you dont want those guys getting extended gameplay. Nor do you want to turn your starting position players into guys who only play 7 innings before they are lifted.

I personally think the bullpen is okay where it’s at. We all know how fickle and volatile bullpens can be and I think there are enough guys that can actually make a difference and be that lightning in a bottle, so to speak.

Diaz, Betances, Familia, Castro, Gsellman, Drew Smith, McWilliams, May, Kilomé, Loup, Lucchesi, Tarpley, Yamamoto, SRF, Zamora, Tommy Hunter, and probably a few other guys I’m missing...that’s a lot of depth, that can cover underperformance as well as injury...then there’s also when Lugo gets back, which is certainly an added bonus.

McWilliams, Kilomé, and Yamamoto I think are three guys that can make a sneaky good improvement to this team. I’m also still a believer in Gsellman but, we’ll see.

Personally I think defense is the biggest issue. Mets haven’t really improved the team with defense except for McCann. They just brought in spot starters and late game replacements - Villar, Pillar, and Almora but, we’ll see how things go.

I do think Nimmo will improve in CF, Dom will be passable in LF, and the infield defense will generally improve - except for Davis. He’s a hitter and nothing more, I think he’ll be a disaster at third over a full season but idk. I still think Chapman or Arenado would’ve been a smart route because of the likelihood of them saving 40 runs than JD over a full season.
    I have a feeling having that elite shortstop next to Davis is going to help him out. Also I think Lindor's presence and leadership will bring Davis to a better level.

Is the gold glove SS we acquired not an improvement in our defense?

My main concern is clutch hitting.

Quote Originally Posted by n8ghee View Post
    My main concern is clutch hitting.

Their offense doesn't concern me in the slightest. They have arguably the best offense in the NL. They'll score runs. Injury to multiple position players is the only way this team won't score.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Hardball View Post
    Only Smith played out of position?
    McNiel is a 2B not 3B
    Davis was playing LF
    Nimmo was playing CF when he was brought up as a corner OFer.

With a full year, spring training and the coaching These guys could get remarkably better.
    Where is Davis playing this year, where is McNeil?

Nimmo was drafted as a CFer.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Davis and Nimmo are out of position as well. Nimmo is not a CFer and Davis is not a 3rd baseman.

You mean the one major prospect in Kelenic? Justin Dunn sucked and they already have SP depth. Anthony Kay hasn't been overly impressive out of the pen either.

No one is saying not to be excited but that wasn't the point of the thread lol.
    Nimmo is a CFer and Davis is a 3rd Baseman.

Outside of his last two outings last year, Kay was solid.

2.45/3.68/5.18

The Mets are projected to win around 90+ wins this year and all you want to discuss that Smith and his .412 wOBA is out of position.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Nimmo is a CFer and Davis is a 3rd Baseman.

Outside of his last two outings last year, Kay was solid.

2.45/3.68/5.18

The Mets are projected to win around 90+ wins this year and all you want to discuss that Smith and his .412 wOBA is out of position.
    No, Nimmo is not a CFer. He may have been drafted there but his -5 DRS/-4.1 UZR in 300 innings there last year is not good. Davis is not a 3rd baseman either. He's a 1st baseman which the Mets have plenty of. Alonso was not good at 1st base last year as well.

You don't get to cherry pick with Kay either. Dude was a mediocre LHRP last year. Certainly not a major prospect either.

No, I'm being realistic. You want to have your head in the clouds and pretend like problems don't exist with this team, fine, but its myopic to act like the defense and even the bullpen are not bugaboos. I have more faith the bullpen can work though.

Quote Originally Posted by bklynny67 View Post
    Is the gold glove SS we acquired not an improvement in our defense?
    I would argue that in 2021, Gimenez abs Lindor will have the same defensive value.

If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumé

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    No, Nimmo is not a CFer. He may have been drafted there but his -5 DRS/-4.1 UZR in 300 innings there last year is not good. Davis is not a 3rd baseman either. He's a 1st baseman which the Mets have plenty of. Alonso was not good at 1st base last year as well.

You don't get to cherry pick with Kay either. Dude was a mediocre LHRP last year. Certainly not a major prospect either.

No, I'm being realistic. You want to have your head in the clouds and pretend like problems don't exist with this team, fine, but its myopic to act like the defense and even the bullpen are not bugaboos. I have more faith the bullpen can work though.
    Davis is probably the worst defensive infielder in MLB, but he is still a 3rd basemen.

And if he doesn’t improve, he’ll be replaced in season. Whether it’s Guillermo at 3rd, or move G and his elite defense to 2nd and move McNeil to 3rd. Or they can trade for a 3rd Baseman.

Nimmo is a slightly below average CF. But with wOBA, who cares. This is a player who is going to have 100 wRC this season if he remains healthy.

I would argue that in 2021, Gimenez abs Lindor will have the same defensive value.

Make the argument, loved to hear it.

Elite defense is not needed 2 of the the past 2 1/2 champions have been in the bottom third of team defensive runs saved.

Last year the Braves 3b was worse than ours as were a handful of other teams.

Quote Originally Posted by sieve00 View Post
    Elite defense is not needed 2 of the the past 2 1/2 champions have been in the bottom third of team defensive runs saved.

Last year the Braves 3b was worse than ours as were a handful of other teams.
    Range is one issue but when the fielders make bonehead plays, whether they are scored as errors or not, can take the soul out of a game and especially the pitcher's game. The Mets had way too much of that last year.

That's not to say most of our starting pitchers really sucked last year.

And Alonso is one of those players who catches the ball, but I've seen go into vapor lock as to what to do with the ball once he has it when runners are on base. Dom is much more astute as a first baseman - anticipates where to play the ball.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast