Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cameron Jordan: Sean Payton Said Jameis Winston Will Replace Drew Brees

https://lastwordonsports.com/nfl/202...ce-drew-brees/

While he hasnít officially made an announcement, New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees is expected to retire in the coming weeks. This will leave the Saints in an unfamiliar position, as they havenít had to worry about the quarterback position in over a decade. However, head coach Sean Payton reportedly wants to roll with Jameis Winston as the heir to Drew Brees, if defensive end Cameron Jordan is to be believed.

Jordan recently appeared on The Great Dane Nation podcast and received a question regarding the future of the quarterback position. The six-time Pro Bowler responded by saying that ďJameis Winston [is] up next I believe is what Sean Payton said.Ē Cameron Jordan obviously isnít Sean Payton and isnít responsible for New Orleansí personnel decisions, but this is certainly worth noting.

While Winston is certainly the more conventional quarterback, some expected Taysom Hill to take over for the (presumably) departed Brees. This would make sense on the surface, as Hill started four games last year in place of the injured veteran. During his time under center, Hill completed 72.7% of his passes for 928 yards, four touchdowns, and two interceptions. Additionally, Hill added another 457 rushing yards and eight touchdowns on 87 attempts. The Saints went 3-1 with Hill under center, and his performance played a big role in New Orleans winning the NFC South.
    Dak: 17,634 @ 66.0%, 7.7 per att, 106+24 TD, 40 INT+34 FMB, 97.3 Rate
    Wentz: 16,811 @ 62.7%, 6.7 per att, 113+8 TD, 50 INT+58 FMB, 89.2 Rate

Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef View Post
    I'll eat a shoe if BB is still coaching in 5 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    Sticking to traditions:

IF Wentz is a Philadelphia Eagle in 2021, he will be the starter. If not, bye bye PSD, I'll leave.
    "Hater" is a term used by weak minded people in the face of legitimate criticism.
    -Scott van Pelt

I wanna see how Jameis does in this offense compared to the offense he had when he was in Tampa before Brady got there. Plus the Saints offensive weapons he is surrounded by and with a coach like Payton, Jameis should thrive in a better offense. Plus he has adequate protection around him. But in a 17 game season with Jameis at starting QB and with weapons like Kamara, Thomas, Hill, etc. I say the Saints go 11-6 and that is being reasonable or even 10-7.

Hill was very eh as the starter; he's much more effective as a gadget player

Jameis has his flaws, but you could do a lot worse for a bridge quarterback and at 27 he could be a relatively long-term solution as well.
    Last edited by d.m.g.; 02-26-2021 at 10:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tg11 View Post
    I wanna see how Jameis does in this offense compared to the offense he had when he was in Tampa before Brady got there. Plus the Saints offensive weapons he is surrounded by and with a coach like Payton, Jameis should thrive in a better offense. Plus he has adequate protection around him. But in a 17 game season with Jameis at starting QB and with weapons like Kamara, Thomas, Hill, etc. I say the Saints go 11-6 and that is being reasonable or even 10-7.
    He had a 30/30 season with a much better offense, I don't think it's gonna matter in NO. Less turnovers should be a given in Payton's offense, but I imagine less big plays as well.

The Saints are gonna have to blow up the team to get under the cap, so I'm not sure I expect that great of a season with a QB change.

Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef View Post
    He had a 30/30 season with a much better offense, I don't think it's gonna matter in NO. Less turnovers should be a given in Payton's offense, but I imagine less big plays as well.

The Saints are gonna have to blow up the team to get under the cap, so I'm not sure I expect that great of a season with a QB change.
    Yeah I think they still end up with a playoff record of 11-6 or 10-7 or at worst they finish 9-8...since they extended the season from 16 games to 17 games