Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

From the Fort: Spring training 2021

It was exactly what Tanner Houck was hoping for after dipping his toes in the major league waters at the tail-end of the 2020 season.

Throughout December and January, the Red Sox rookie pitcher immersed himself into workouts with the likes of Corey Kluber, Justin Verlander, Max Scherzer and Noah Syndergaard at Cressey Sports Performance-Florida.

"Honestly, for me I would say 100 percent that being around those guys, being around such elite competition, I wouldn’t say there are a lot of good stories because a lot of it is just, ‘Hey, we’re here to get our stuff done, our work done and push our bodies and truly push ourselves to better ourselves for the upcoming season.’ A lot of it for me is putting myself around bigger fish," Houck said while appearing on The Live BP Baseball Show. "You never want to be the biggest fish in the pond, which is what I think the saying is. Just continuing to be around elite competition like that and also coming here and being around Sale, Eovaldi, Eddie is another one. Just being around those guys is so much easier to pick up stuff and learn and what they’ve done and how they have had success. Out of that group that we mentioned there is a ton of elite talent that everyone can recognize no matter who you’re a fan of."
    weei.com

Really excited to see how Houck builds on his impressive debut. 17IP/1ER/21k in late September (of a pandemic year) could be misleading but doing it against playoff teams still in a scrum for position was definitely a nice start. He obviously had some good company to learn from over the winter.

“Whitlock is a guy that I’ll be paying a lot of attention,” Red Sox manager Alex Cora said Saturday. “He plays the part. He threw a bullpen yesterday (Friday). It was very impressive. The most impressive thing about him is the way he acts. The way he takes care of his body and what he does. He’s a very quiet kid. He knows what he wants to do. I’m looking forward to see him pitch and see where he takes us.”

Whitlock likely will serve in a similar role to Matt Andriese as a swingman in the Red Sox bullpen (long relief appearances and spot starts). But he also could be used in high-leverage situations where the Red Sox need a groundball. He had a 2.20 groundout-to-flyout ratio in 2019. The Red Sox feel he’s the type of pitcher who can take advantage of infield shifting.

The 6-foot-5, 190-pounder posted a 3.07 ERA, 1.29 WHIP and .265 batting average against in 14 starts at Double-A Trenton in 2019. He struck out 57 and walked 18 in 70 ⅓ innings before undergoing Tommy John surgery. He did not pitch in 2020 while he recovered.
    masslive.com

Whitlock is one of the many lottery tickets (Rule V draft) that Bloom picked up during the offseason. It'd be a nice steal (from NYY!) if he manages to stick. He's certainly got an interesting makeup.