Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Celtics 2020-21 In-Season Roster Discussion Thread

Use this for in season roster discussion, i.e. trade ideas, general rotation thoughts, etc. Some background info...

Opening day roster:

Guards: Kemba Walker, Marcus Smart, Jeff Teague, Payton Pritchard, Carsen Edwards, Tremont Waters (2-way deal)

Wings/Forwards: Jayson Tatum, Jaylen Brown, Aaron Nesmith, Jevonte Green, Romeo Langford, Semi Ojeleye

Bigs: Tristan Thompson, Daniel Theis, Grant Williams, Robert Williams, Tacko Fall (2-way deal)

Salary situation: https://www.spotrac.com/nba/boston-celtics/cap/2020/

We have $15,715,740 of room below the luxury tax. We have $22,016,740 under the tax apron. Because we used the non tax payer's MLE on Thompson, we are hard capped at the apron. We are not permitted to execute any transaction that puts us over the number.

We have trade player exceptions (TPEs) for the trades of Gordon Hayward ($28.5M), Enes Kanter ($4.8M), and Vincent Poirier ($2.5M). We can trade for any player(s) that fit into those amounts, subject to the hard cap rules above. These TPEs cannot be combined with each other or other players to bring back a higher salary player - i.e. you cannot combine the Hayward + Kanter TPEs to get a player making $32M. If you acquire a player that doesn't take the full amount then you have the remainder left - i.e. if we take a $14M player into the Hayward TPE then we still have the $14.5M remaining left to use. All of these TPEs expire one year from the date they were created normally, but I believe the league is adjusting that "one year" date in relation to timing of the league calendar in the true spirit of the rule because Covid has obviously changed the timing of transactions in one year relative to the next.

We did not use our bi-annual exception ($3.6M). For any in season moves that number would be prorated. This would allow us to sign a player in-season.

NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

But with all our assets I don't know why we aren't pulling off any massive trade to put us over the top

Quote Originally Posted by Tg11 View Post
    But with all our assets I don't know why we aren't pulling off any massive trade to put us over the top
    What assets? The only assets we have or have ever had for a major trade were the BRK picks. Mid to late 1sts aren’t valuable unless the player greatly outplays his draft slot. None of our later picks have. We had those three BRK picks that we turned into Brown, Tatum and the Kylie trade. Unless you want to give up Brown or Tatum then there is not “massive” trade to make.

Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    What assets? The only assets we have or have ever had for a major trade were the BRK picks. Mid to late 1sts aren’t valuable unless the player greatly outplays his draft slot. None of our later picks have. We had those three BRK picks that we turned into Brown, Tatum and the Kylie trade. Unless you want to give up Brown or Tatum then there is not “massive” trade to make.
    Keep hearing C's fans call for Harden. No thanks.

Ok Ok ive just solve everything.

Bull get - Kemba, Semi and Grant Williams

Celts get - O.Potter and Markkanen

Potter off the book next season. Bull get a vet leader point guard but not as old as (Chris Paul).

Smart/Teague/PP
    Brown/Langford/Nesmith
    Tatum/Potter/Nesmith
    Theis/RWill
    Markkanen/TT/Tacko

CHAMPIONSHIPSSSSS 😁

Quote Originally Posted by esb View Post
    Ok Ok ive just solve everything.

Bull get - Kemba, Semi and Grant Williams

Celts get - O.Potter and Markkanen

Potter off the book next season. Bull get a vet leader point guard but not as old as (Chris Paul).

Smart/Teague/PP
    Brown/Langford/Nesmith
    Tatum/Potter/Nesmith
    Theis/RWill
    Markkanen/TT/Tacko

CHAMPIONSHIPSSSSS 😁
    I like this.

I'm still waiting for Yabusele to be the next Draymond Green ...just like the Green Teamers told me back on draft night 5 years ago...

We need to trade Theis(and a young guard) for a stretch 4/5 - Saric, Bjelica, Nance Jr type.

TT, Theis and Grant are all redundant. I think Thies is the odd man out.

Do ya think we could land Valanciunas from Memphis in a trade?? Offer Theis, Langford, GWilliams, Semi, Edwards, Pick(s) as options to choose from. Or Trade Exception

Also trading Kemba for CP3(a true vet pg to lead the squad??) and Crowder

CP3/Teague/PP
    Brown/Smart
    Tatum/Smith
    Valanciunas/Crowder
    Thompson/RWill/Tacko

Or

Suns get - Kemba and Theis, Langford, GWilliams, Semi, Edwards, Smith, Pick(s) as options to choose from.

Celts get - CP3, Crowder and Saric

CP3/PP/Waters
    Smart/Teague
    Brown/Crowder
    Tatum/Saric
    Thompson/RWill/Tacko
    Last edited by esb; 01-04-2021 at 06:41 PM.

How about the C's bringing back Father Kelly?

Thompson & Teague for Olynyk

Kemba/PP
    Smart/????TException
    Brown/GWill
    Tatum/Olynyk
    Theis/RWill

ugh no thanks to bringing back hippie Goofy

Do the C's have enough to pull off a KAT trade??

Chi gets - Kemba, Thompson
    Min gets - Markkanen, Porter
    Bos gets - KAT

Picks will go where necessary.

Smart
    Brown
    Tatum
    Theis
    KAT

Bench rotation: PP, RWill, GWill, and (TE Traded for)
    Last edited by esb; 02-07-2021 at 03:34 PM.

Looks great👆