Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Who will be the Soxí opening day DH?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sheets

2 22.22%
  • Mercedez

0 0%
  • Vaughn

4 44.44%
  • Burger

1 11.11%
  • Collins

1 11.11%
  • Other

1 11.11%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Vaughn already jacked a homer so it is going to be hard to argue that he needs a few weeks in the Minors to sharpen his batting eye.
    My opinion is that Vaughn will be our Opening Day DH.

Definitely the leader out of the gate.

Def makes it easier to now step in and make one's predictions vs. making predictions when the question was originally asked.
    Wenn Sie dies lesen durch elektronische ‹bersetzung, Sie sind jetzt noch lahm als Sie waren als Sie zum ersten Mal las und verstand es nicht.

Quote Originally Posted by pentel1980 View Post
    Def makes it easier to now step in and make one's predictions vs. making predictions when the question was originally asked.
    Haha right, we probably need another 1.5-2 weeks to make a semi educated guess.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/m...issue-in-2021/

This whole Kelenic thing with the Mariners might start pushing Major League teams to stop manipulating service time quite as much. Maybe that helps Vaugh push open the door to the Majors.

Vaughn also has a ringing endorsement from Jose Abreu...

"I don't have any doubt in my mind that he's ready to play in the majors and ready to help us at the major league level," Josť Abreu said through team interpreter Billy Russo. "He's a guy that respects the game, he's a guy that works hard, and I think those two factors are big factors to have success in the majors."

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/wh...ghn-ready-bigs

If Vaughn has a great spring, and if our Clubhouse leader in Abreu wants him on the team, it'll be hard to our FO to hold him back for a month for obvious service time manipulation.

The poll was put up early to gauge DH opinions before the games started. If we did it at the end of spring training, it probably isnít much of a question anymore.

Service time manipulation could very well be affected by the delayed start to the minor leagues. Teams canít say they want a couple extra weeks of experience in the minors, if there are no games being played.

If the delayed start works this season (weather wise), maybe they push for it going forward.

Mercedez with a line drive single and a thrown out steal attempt in the 1st today. Collins with a gidp....hmm!

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye View Post
    Mercedez with a line drive single and a thrown out steal attempt in the 1st today. Collins with a gidp....hmm!
    It's crazy how many Collins has let pass him by in the system.

Mercedez with 2 line drive singles and a line out . Collins homers...

Nothing like some good friendly competition.

Of Course Collins Jacks a Bomb after I talk ****. Burger 3 K's...Woof!

It seems like all but 2 spots are up for grabs. The DH and a 2nd UTIL player. Mercedes, Vaughn, Collins, and Mendick should be fighting for those 2 Roster spots.

Locks
    C Grandal
    C Lucroy
    1B Abreu
    2B Madrigal
    3B Moncada
    SS Anderson
    OF Eloy
    OF Robert
    OF Engel
    OF Eaton
    UTIL Leury

Battle for last 2 Field Players
    Vaughn
    Collins
    Mendick
    Mercedes

Locks
    SP Gio
    SP Keuchel
    SP Lynn
    SP Cease
    SP Rodon
    CL Hendriks
    SU Bummer
    SU Marshall
    SU Crochet
    SU Kopech
    RP Heuer
    RP Foster
    LR Reynaldo

Jace Fry will be looking for a bullpen spot when he's healthy.
    Kade McClure could be a surprise early season callup if anyone goes down or falters.

Our pitching was brutal today. I could be wrong, but I think there may have been a stretch of 6 straight walks today... thatís hard to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye View Post
    Our pitching was brutal today. I could be wrong, but I think there may have been a stretch of 6 straight walks today... thatís hard to do.
    Yeah luckily all this bad pitching has been from guys that won't sniff the roster other then in emergency scenarios.

I have Vaughn and Mendick as virtual locks.

That said, Collins may still be in the running for back-up catcher, although Giolito appeared to endorse Lucroy in his post game comments. Lucroy looked a bit shaky behind the plate, but that may have partially been due to Burdi who was wild.

If it was my call, I would rather have Collins as back-up catcher because he could provide another option for a left hand bat at 1B and DH.

So as of now, I have Lucroy not making the Opening day roster. However, we shall see how things develop as ST proceeds.

I also have Engel and Eaton as a RH/LH platoon in RF. So Eaton might have to grab a lot of bench as a platoon guy and he might not like that. If any player on this team is going to cause trouble it would probably be Eaton.

Quote Originally Posted by dabears34ft View Post
    Kade McClure could be a surprise early season callup if anyone goes down or falters.
    Any relation to Troy McClure? You may remember him from such medical films as 'Alice Doesn't Live Anymore,' and 'Mommy, What's Wrong With That Man's Face?'
    Wenn Sie dies lesen durch elektronische ‹bersetzung, Sie sind jetzt noch lahm als Sie waren als Sie zum ersten Mal las und verstand es nicht.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast