Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Who will be the Soxí opening day DH?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sheets

2 22.22%
  • Mercedez

0 0%
  • Vaughn

4 44.44%
  • Burger

1 11.11%
  • Collins

1 11.11%
  • Other

1 11.11%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Also hoping to see a couple of games vs the Angels....Its like 12 miles from where I work...

If nobody separates themselves from the group, I think Sheets or Collins may get a shot on opening day. Both hit LH to go up against what will probably be Bundy for Anaheim.

I can also see the Sox giving Vaughn more ABs in the minors if he doesnít excel in the spring.

Didnít realize Sheets was such a big boy. His dad Larry had a big year for the Orioles in 87.

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye View Post
    If nobody separates themselves from the group, I think Sheets or Collins may get a shot on opening day. Both hit LH to go up against what will probably be Bundy for Anaheim.

I can also see the Sox giving Vaughn more ABs in the minors if he doesnít excel in the spring.
    Yeah Vaughn in the Majors is definitely dependent on a great spring. But if he goes ape **** this Spring, I don't think the FO would want the negative PR if they held him back. The Mariners are about to know all about that with Jarred Kelenic coming out and saying they are Manipulating his service time.

It would be a gas to see Vaughn, Burgur, Sheets, Collins and Mercedes compete in a Spring Training home run contest similar to the format that MLB uses before the All-Star game.
    Of course, the winner would not automatically win a spot on the opening day roster, but it would be fun to watch them try to swing for it.
    I think Burgur is the biggest long shot but he might surprise some people if he can keep his legs under him. Mercedes provides the entertainment value of a swing for the fences beast who comes out of his shoes wailing on any pitch he likes. Collins is less exciting, He takes a lot of pitches and obtains a good OBP, but he is a big boy as well and can take it out to any field.
    I agree with those of you who think Vaughn will have to rake to prove he can be the starting DH.
    Meanwhile, i keep looking at the slowing receding snow piles outside and wondering how many more weeks it will take to melt that sh1t. I'm ready for Spring and baseball, I am sooo ready.

The lack of a mi or league season last year makes this so much more of a tossup. Add in the back story of Burger, and you never know how these guys are going to come out of the gate. Collins has the most MLB experience, but that may actually play against him as they have seen a little of what he can do against mlb pitching.... albeit a tiny sample size.

Vaughn, Collins and Burger have the best draft pedigrees. Who knows, maybe they figure give Mercedez a shot and find out for once and for all, what he can do.

I think it really boils down to who has the hottest spring and claims the job.

I could see them going with whoever isnít playing RF Or catching that day to start the season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ChiFanKeith View Post
    I could see them going with whoever isnít playing RF Or catching that day to start the season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If they did that why not just start Engel Robert Eaton and DH Eloy?

Offense is the same. Defense is better.

Grandal already hurt. We better have a good backup catcher. We may have already found our opening day DH.

or we may have already found our opening day RFer.

Vaughn Jacks his 1st Bomb of the Spring. 1st inning 3 run shot!

I don't know about you all, but of all our options, the 1 guy I feel 100% confident in every time he steps up to the plate is Vaughn. To me, in a season where we are going for it, I want the guy we feel the most comfortable with, with the most upside.

Voted for Burger because - why not.
    If it was up to me, Vaughn would get some ABs in Charlotte, see you May 1st.

It'll probably be Collins - IMO
    1985 Bears
    2005 White Sox
    2010 Blackhawks
    1991 Bulls

1981 Sting

Quote Originally Posted by Muttman73 View Post
    Voted for Burger because - why not.
    If it was up to me, Vaughn would get some ABs in Charlotte, see you May 1st.

It'll probably be Collins - IMO
    I think I read that the minor league season isnít starting until May? If so, best bet might be to just let him break camp with the team and if he struggles, we can always send him down?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast