Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by NBA all the way View Post
    Well, I think that's where we differ. I don't look at the Mavs like that, they're a fringe playoff team, and have been since Luka arrived. I look at this as a transition year anyway.

The Mavs core is a 22 year old and an injury prone 25 year old. The Mavs have almost $40 million in cap space this summer (if the cap stays flat, also not counting incomplete roster charges).

That being the case, they can go sign a max guy to pair with those 2 or split it in half and just sign 2 pretty solid guys to pair with those 2.

It could even be taken a step further, and if they don't think KP is durable enough, ship him out for Drummond, the Boston TPE, or a package of expirings. Then go into the summer with almost $70 million in cap space this summer (if the cap stays flat, also not counting incomplete roster charges).

If that's the case, could sign 2 max guys or maybe 3 or 4 very solid guys, have a brand new starting 5 next season to pair with Luka the MVP candidate.

I think the Mavs are in a good position, either way, their franchise player is 22 and a walking triple double.
    I don't think he's literally calling them a championship team, many of us are saying that's what they need if that's the goal. Luka will soon sign his super max putting any talk of adding an additional max player, let alone multiple to bed.

Dallas needs at least 1 more dynamic perimeter playmaker aside from Luka. Trading KP is unlikely to fix their mediocrity until they get that piece.

Quote Originally Posted by beasted86 View Post
    I don't think he's literally calling them a championship team, many of us are saying that's what they need if that's the goal. Luka will soon sign his super max putting any talk of adding an additional max player, let alone multiple to bed.

Dallas needs at least 1 more dynamic perimeter playmaker aside from Luka. Trading KP is unlikely to fix their mediocrity until they get that piece.
    They're not going to sign Luka to a max extension this summer, even if they do, they have him for $10 million next season.

Trading KP frees up an additional $30 million to go sign a guy or 2 that fits that mold, coupled with their already $40 million in cap they have this summer (could grow to $50 million if they dump Powell).

This summer is paramount for the future of Luka and the Mavs. If they roll into this summer's free agency with $80+ million in cap, the sky is the limit. I can tell you right now they're gonna be handing out some fat deals to some pretty good players.

They're not going to sign Luka to a max extension this summer, even if they do, they have him for $10 million next season.

Trading KP frees up an additional $30 million to go sign a guy or 2 that fits that mold, coupled with their already $40 million in cap they have this summer (could grow to $50 million if they dump Powell).

This summer is paramount for the future of Luka and the Mavs. If they roll into this summer's free agency with $80+ million in cap, the sky is the limit. I can tell you right now they're gonna be handing out some fat deals to some pretty good players.
    The sky is the limit, but where is this sky you're speaking of?

To put in context my question, these are the best free agents this summer:

Kawhi (29), Oladipo(28), Jrue (30), Lowry (34), DeRozan (31), Collins-R, Markkannen-R.

In light of what's available it would be shortsighted to trade KP in a salary dump.

KP is injury prone. I would rather roll the dice on KP and a good medical team to strengthen him up to break the injury prone label in hopes he stays healthy and has a peak similar to the numbers he was putting up in the playoffs last season before his inury. Some of the trades proposed are trash. I'd rather have an injured player who realistically could go either way (perennial all star or missing games due to injury) over guaranteed trash.
    2015 Bull's Mock Trade Game Championship Team

San Antonio Spurs

PG: Chris Paul | Patty Mills | Jose Calderon
    SG: Khris Middleton | J.J. Redick | Iman Shumpert
    SF: DeMarre Carroll | P.J. Tucker | Anthony Morrow
    PF: Tim Duncan | Carlos Boozer | Kyle O'Quinn
    C : Al Horford | Rudy Gobert

Kawhi (29), Oladipo(28), Jrue (30), Lowry (34), DeRozan (31), Collins-R, Markkannen-R.

In light of what's available it would be shortsighted to trade KP in a salary dump.
    Even if you keep KP the Mavs can probably land 2 of that bunch (or others no mentioned) with $50 million in cap. No 1st round pick this year (less guaranteed money on the books), the Mavs are set regardless.

They player they need is likely added through trade and not FA. The Mavs have never had much luck attracting free agents, at least not the marquee names. To get their guy theyíre going to have to trade for him.

Luka is not eligible for a max or super max contract this off season. I believe the only way he would be eligible for a super max is if he won the MVP this season. Thatís not likely to happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder what people would think of a Roco + Nurkic for KP trade. Roco and Nurkic are underperforming this season... KP is at least productive when he does play. I would rather they just ride KP... roll the dice, but meh.
    2015 Bull's Mock Trade Game Championship Team

San Antonio Spurs

PG: Chris Paul | Patty Mills | Jose Calderon
    SG: Khris Middleton | J.J. Redick | Iman Shumpert
    SF: DeMarre Carroll | P.J. Tucker | Anthony Morrow
    PF: Tim Duncan | Carlos Boozer | Kyle O'Quinn
    C : Al Horford | Rudy Gobert

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    They player they need is likely added through trade and not FA. The Mavs have never had much luck attracting free agents, at least not the marquee names. To get their guy theyíre going to have to trade for him.

Luka is not eligible for a max or super max contract this off season. I believe the only way he would be eligible for a super max is if he won the MVP this season. Thatís not likely to happen.

He's guaranteed to make the all NBA team.

The fact that Tatum, Fox, Bam and a bunch of other guys didn't have to wait until their 4th year to extend leads me to believe as soon as Luka is eligible this summer his agent is pushing for a deal and Cuban is not going to push back.

Like I originally said, the existing front court is trash without KP. Who are they trading for realistically that's better? Their more realistic approach is trade for a back court player, but they don't have to use KP to do that.

Even if you keep KP the Mavs can probably land 2 of that bunch (or others no mentioned) with $50 million in cap. No 1st round pick this year (less guaranteed money on the books), the Mavs are set regardless.
    I think that's what they should do. Something like Oladipo + Graham would be a nice off-season for them.

Graham/ Oladipo/ Luka / Kleiber / KP
    Bench: Brunson / Green / DFS / WCS

I think that's what they should do. Something like Oladipo + Graham would be a nice off-season for them.

Graham/ Oladipo/ Luka / Kleiber / KP
    Bench: Brunson / Green / DFS / WCS
    For sure, idk how much it moves the needle but I think it's the route they should try this summer.

The fact that Tatum, Fox, Bam and a bunch of other guys didn't have to wait until their 4th year to extend leads me to believe as soon as Luka is eligible this summer his agent is pushing for a deal and Cuban is not going to push back.

Like I originally said, the existing front court is trash without KP. Who are they trading for realistically that's better? Their more realistic approach is trade for a back court player, but they don't have to use KP to do that.
    He can be extended for the max I believe, he just wonít be eligible for the super max this off season unless he wins the MVP. Heíll get 1st team all NBA but itís the MVP he has to win for the super max.

Oh and Maxi Kleber is not trash. Heís probably the Mavs best defender and has successfully guarded 1 thru 5. Also a pretty efficient 3 point shooter. WCS has his moments but can definitely be upgraded. Powell is trash. Boban is basically a stiff with some offensive game, but no lateral movement.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrum187 View Post
    I wonder what people would think of a Roco + Nurkic for KP trade. Roco and Nurkic are underperforming this season... KP is at least productive when he does play. I would rather they just ride KP... roll the dice, but meh.
    As a Blazer fan I'd lean no. KP is Charmin soft. And if I have to roll the dice health-wise, I'd rather roll the dice on Nurkic than KP to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    Oh and Maxi Kleber is not trash. Heís probably the Mavs best defender and has successfully guarded 1 thru 5. Also a pretty efficient 3 point shooter. WCS has his moments but can definitely be upgraded. Powell is trash. Boban is basically a stiff with some offensive game, but no lateral movement.

Kleber is a good glue player and it's great he doesn't need the ball. But he's not winning the Mavs any games by himself, and he's not good enough to play 30+ minutes a night.

You really can't afford to downgrade KP unless you're significantly upgrading Kleber and the other frontcourt players. This is why I say it's shortsighted to believe trading KP is the answer unless you're privy to info that his injuries will only get worse. Even this version of KP is a top 15 PF/C.

Kleber is a good glue player and it's great he doesn't need the ball. But he's not winning the Mavs any games by himself, and he's not good enough to play 30+ minutes a night.

You really can't afford to downgrade KP unless you're significantly upgrading Kleber and the other frontcourt players. This is why I say it's shortsighted to believe trading KP is the answer unless you're privy to info that his injuries will only get worse. Even this version of KP is a top 15 PF/C.
    Thatís more accurate on Kleber. I was pointing out that Kleber is not trash. Dude can play. Heís not an elite player but heís the kind of big every team in the NBA would love to have coming off their bench.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast