Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Patriots exploring every available QB

[Howe] Patriots have had conversations regarding every potential quarterback trade target in the league, but "have so far been thwarted by inflated prices in an offseason that is currently siding with the sellers."

https://www.nbcsports.com/edge/footb...dlines/9974371

Howe reports that head coach Bill Belichick and the New England organization are keen on upgrading at the QB position but "have so far been thwarted by inflated prices in an offseason that is currently siding with the sellers." The Patriots spoke to the Lions about acquiring Matthew Stafford and to the Eagles about trading for Carson Wentz, though the team was never considered a serious contender to land either quarterback. Howe mentioned Sam Darnold, Teddy Bridgewater, Marcus Mariota, and Jimmy Garoppolo as signal callers who could be pursued by Belichick in the coming weeks. The team is a decidedly unfavorable landing spot for incoming QBs unless and until they upgrade their skill position players -- some of the worst in the NFL. The Patriots haven't ruled out re-signing Cam Newton, whose season with the team could most charitably be described as forgettable. Howe said the team -- which holds the 15th pick in this spring's NFL Draft -- could trade up and take one of the top three or four QBs.
    Dak: 17,634 @ 66.0%, 7.7 per att, 106+24 TD, 40 INT+34 FMB, 97.3 Rate
    Wentz: 16,811 @ 62.7%, 6.7 per att, 113+8 TD, 50 INT+58 FMB, 89.2 Rate

Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef View Post
    I'll eat a shoe if BB is still coaching in 5 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    Sticking to traditions:

IF Wentz is a Philadelphia Eagle in 2021, he will be the starter. If not, bye bye PSD, I'll leave.
    "Hater" is a term used by weak minded people in the face of legitimate criticism.
    -Scott van Pelt

Belichick can do what he did last year: wait until after the draft and sign any starting-caliber QB still unemployed. There should be a few to choose from.

They can have Teddy for a conditional 7th

Being a Patriots guy I want Jimmy G but if I can't...then I would take Bridgewater or Trubisky as my quarterback

Quote Originally Posted by QB_Eagles View Post
    Belichick can do what he did last year: wait until after the draft and sign any starting-caliber QB still unemployed. There should be a few to choose from.
    I think he's also probably betting the Jets won't trade Darnold in time, and can get him cheaper after the Jets have drafted a QB.

Sticking to traditions:

IF Wentz is a Philadelphia Eagle in 2021, he will be the starter. If not, bye bye PSD, I'll leave.
    "Hater" is a term used by weak minded people in the face of legitimate criticism.
    -Scott van Pelt

Team without QB looking for QB, and the sky is blue. Local news tonight at 11:00, but you probably can guess what we’ll report!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by QB_Eagles View Post
    A little different. They have actual cap space. They will be trying to recruit players. Last year they were right up to the cap all offseason. They made the deliberate attempt not to really restructure guys or anything because they were treating it as a reset. Even before the guys opted out and they just sat on the newfound cap space, they were punting on the year to put it bluntly.

If you’re a WR or TE you’re going to want to know who’s throwing the ball. We all understand they won’t be getting any discounts and some players will avoid them entirely because there’s a negative aura around them with the BB vs Brady thing. Cash is king though and they got $60M of cap space, with more to be possibly had with roster moves - some people are going to be taking their cash. Having some sort of stability helps them on those recruiting efforts. Even if it’s Cam re-signed and you say “last year was bad but here’s tangible reasons why we expect better this year” that’s a better pitch then “just hold on and see what happens”.

Quote Originally Posted by Nunuu View Post
    They can have Teddy for a conditional 7th
    Convincing BB to take Teddy and his contract for ANY draft pick would feel like stealing a golden fiddle from the devil.

Convincing BB to take Teddy and his contract for ANY draft pick would feel like stealing a golden fiddle from the devil.
    Teddy basically only has one year left then he can be cut for a cheap price.
    It’s funny, your general feeling about Teddy is how I feel about Cam.

BB is trying to lowball every team for a QB. Sorry bud, you can’t have Dak for a 7th.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    BB is trying to lowball every team for a QB. Sorry bud, you can’t have Dak for a 7th.

Unless Dak leaves you guys in the offseason which could happen and if that happens then that puts us New England in a position to sign Dak

Quote Originally Posted by mariner4life View Post
    Teddy basically only has one year left then he can be cut for a cheap price.
    It’s funny, your general feeling about Teddy is how I feel about Cam.
    That's not funny, it's sad lol

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    Probably not lowball, tbh. BB's staring down retirement. Overpay for one last run.

This reads a lot like "NE is looking for literally anyone but Cam again at QB" especially combined with the Cam denying rumors that he's retiring because no one will sign him and the the comments he just made about BB being a cool dude who is misunderstood.

Sticking to traditions:

-Scott van Pelt

Quote Originally Posted by Tg11 View Post
    Unless Dak leaves you guys in the offseason which could happen and if that happens then that puts us New England in a position to sign Dak
    He would be smart to go there too. Do you think the Pats would give him $35M-$40M per?

It would be pretty amusing if the Pats wound up with Darnold and he realized his potential

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast