Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Mock Offseason Thread

Testino23 had the great idea of making a thread dedicated to building our own personal mock off seasons. So lets use this to throw out our master plans.

Still use the FA thread to discuss specifics about FA rumors and specifics about players and of course the same with the draft thread. But if youve got a mock draft you want to share or your FA plan go ahead and drop it in here!

Welcome Back Sweet Prince

Thanks Kody

I mentioned this in the other thread but I really am curious to see what you guys think about a couple things that I think make sense. There are always players we sign, trade, cut, ect. every year that maybe we didnt see coming.

I love DP and I love Mike Gesicki. But think about what Alabama did offensively and what kind of offense Tua would benefit from

I think DP can be a good #2 with 80 targets a year and a major red zone threat but he needs a real #1 WR alongside him. I picture an RPO style offense with speed and pre snap movement and TE's being involved in the run game heavily and sprinkled into the pass game like they were last year. To me, that doesnt fit Gesicki unless his run blocking really takes a big step forward. I love the player and his skill and have always wanted a TE like Jimmy Graham and Mike is athletically on that same level but I just wonder if hes a true fit for this offense.

So Im asking you guys what kind of offense do you guys think fits Tua...when we are at our best what does the offense look like? And then what guys on our roster currently fit those roles and which ones dont?

I think Mike has really good value right now. Devante is talented and Im sure teams would be interested in him but value wise we may be looking at a 3rd or 4th conditional pick maybe? Im also not the biggest fan of Preston Williams but I do see the talent so Im 50/50 on where I truly stand with him.

Id 100% be on board with moving both, although I think Tua and Mike started to get rolling until he got hurt.

DVP has developed into a really good #2 guy, but I dont think hell ever be a top flight WR on a consistent basis and I really dont know if Tua will work well with him. Outside of the one drive in the Buffalo game the two just never got it working. But maybe if you put him in Prestons role hell look better.

Maybe trade DVP to the Eagles for a 3rd and use his salary to sign a guy like Marvin Jones.

Quote Originally Posted by KodytheKing View Post
    Id 100% be on board with moving both, although I think Tua and Mike started to get rolling until he got hurt.

DVP has developed into a really good #2 guy, but I dont think hell ever be a top flight WR on a consistent basis and I really dont know if Tua will work well with him. Outside of the one drive in the Buffalo game the two just never got it working. But maybe if you put him in Prestons role hell look better.

Maybe trade DVP to the Eagles for a 3rd and use his salary to sign a guy like Marvin Jones.
    If Mike could become an adequate blocker he'd be a top 5 TE in the league because his receiving skills are top notch and I'd be all in to keep him.

As far as DVP goes I saw the same things. Dont know if its a lack of chemistry or what but it just never really seemed like they got it going. If we keep DVP his contract allows us to let him go next year without very much dead money. Id love to keep him and have him be our #2 but if Miami doesnt see him as a match with Tua and decides to move him I just wouldnt be surprised. Also gotta factor in the part where he plays 6 healthy games a year and limps through 6 other ones and sits 4.

And its funny you mention Philly because thats who I always end up coming back to when Im trying to find a trade partner. Thing is, their cap is ****, so doubtful they could swing a deal for DVP but if we decided to trade Preston that would work. Im just fully on board with a complete overhaul of the WR room. Its inconsistent. Fragile. Doesnt seem like a fit for a Tua offense.

One guy I really want Miami to go get is John Ross. Hated the pick for Cinci. Im against taking smaller WR's that high in the draft. But now as a FA, hes going to be a cheaper 1 or 2 year contract guy that just wants to play and light it up finally and get paid. Hes exactly the kind of player this offense needs. Deep threat and YAC are two things this offense badly needs and he could provide both immediately. He did ask for a trade but he never seemed to be a real issue while in Cinci so I tend to think he has good character as well.

Devonta Smith/Ja'Marr Chase
    DVP
    John Ross
    Bowden
    Perry
    Elijah Moore(Ole Miss) 4th/5th RD pick or TuTu Atwell(Louisville) 6th/7th RD pick

Brevin Jordan(TE/MIA) I like in the 2nd/3rd RD of the draft too

Another guy I keep coming back to and if it only costed a 2nd and 5th or something I would do it, Amari Cooper. Still young. Fantastic route runner including the RPO slant. Deep threat. Complete receiver and someone that Tua can count on as his safety blanket and plenty more

Trade DVP and Preston

Cooper
    Smith/Chase
    Ross
    Bowden
    Perry
    Draft pick

Quote Originally Posted by Testino23 View Post
    If Mike could become an adequate blocker he'd be a top 5 TE in the league because his receiving skills are top notch and I'd be all in to keep him.

As far as DVP goes I saw the same things. Dont know if its a lack of chemistry or what but it just never really seemed like they got it going. If we keep DVP his contract allows us to let him go next year without very much dead money. Id love to keep him and have him be our #2 but if Miami doesnt see him as a match with Tua and decides to move him I just wouldnt be surprised. Also gotta factor in the part where he plays 6 healthy games a year and limps through 6 other ones and sits 4.

And its funny you mention Philly because thats who I always end up coming back to when Im trying to find a trade partner. Thing is, their cap is ****, so doubtful they could swing a deal for DVP but if we decided to trade Preston that would work. Im just fully on board with a complete overhaul of the WR room. Its inconsistent. Fragile. Doesnt seem like a fit for a Tua offense.

One guy I really want Miami to go get is John Ross. Hated the pick for Cinci. Im against taking smaller WR's that high in the draft. But now as a FA, hes going to be a cheaper 1 or 2 year contract guy that just wants to play and light it up finally and get paid. Hes exactly the kind of player this offense needs. Deep threat and YAC are two things this offense badly needs and he could provide both immediately. He did ask for a trade but he never seemed to be a real issue while in Cinci so I tend to think he has good character as well.
    Mikes my favorite player on the team right now so I would hate to see him go. But Im entirely focused on building the exact offense designed to maximize Tuas potential. I think Mike is getting better with Tua but he takes up a spot that could be used for an elusive/quick twitch WR. I think a TE room of Shaheen and Smythe works enough for what the offense is right now.

Ross is an interesting one. I could absolutely see him being picked up by the team since they love reclamation projects. Obviously not a guy you expect to do much, but bring him and see if you get lucky.

Figured Id do my first mock of the season. Im doing this on the assumption that we do very little in terms of adding notable starters in FA. Pretty much just set up extensions and go for bargain bin guys. Maybe snag someone like Clowney on the cheap.

Im gutting the WR room and pretty much only keeping Preston, DVP and Bowden. Even though I like Preston and Bowden, Im not going into next season with either expecting to be a starter. The FAs I see them going after are guys like Isaiah McKenzie, Josh Reynolds or a Breshad Permian. Id love Brandon Cooks if he gets cut. I also keep Karras on speed dial in case you dont land an immediate starter at C in the draft.

Trade back with the Panthers for a 1st and 2nd this year and a 1st next year.

8. WR Jaylen Waddle (my top WR right now)
    18. T Christian Darisaw (Also open to Najee)
    36. LB Zaven Collins
    39. RB Jevonte Williams (if you take Najee Rd 1 Im taking a guy like Jaylen Mayfield or Dillion Radnuz)
    50. Edge Payton Turner
    82. C Quinn Meinerz
    114. WR Shi Smith or Amari Rodgers
    183. Probably some punter or something who cares we spent a 6th on a long snapper last year.

Waddle is the only player in this draft that immediately affects how the defense is playing the moment he steps on the field. You also pair him with two jump ball guys in Geiscki and Parker, along with shifty slot guys like Bowden and Smith/Rogers. Oline gets a big boost by pushing Hunt to RG and putting Darisaw at RT. I put Kindley at LG and have him learn for a year behind Flowers or make Flowers the flex guy for the year and cut Jesse Davis. Meinerz feels like this years Ali Marpet. I absolutely love him. I probably make him sit a year and resign Karras for a 1 year deal. Add that to my favorite player in the draft not named Dwayne Eskridge and this run game takes an immediate jump to becoming a monster. Jevonte is just so physical and would make be monstrous behind this line.

Zaven Collins is my favorite LB in this class. Just a physical freak. Not as violent as Parsons, but hes got so much speed and has incredible instincts. And Payton Turner is another guy I absolutely love for this defense. Pretty raw but has an incredible motor to go along with good size. I just have no idea seeing what this team wants to do at edge so I have a hard time picking one. If Rousseau is around 280 or 290 I could see them being really interested to replace Ogbah in a year.

I made this a little while ago but figured Id share it here.

Sorry for the long post but I've been suuuper bored today. I decided to play GM and see what I could do. I wanted to be as realistic as I could with the draft. Parsons was there at #18 but don't see that actually happening. Also, I'm torn on Rondale, Toney, and Elijah at #38. All were there but I like Moore's combo of power and shiftiness despite not being able to stretch the field. He would be a great check down target for Tua. Obviously lots will change in free agency, but I would be pretty pleased with this offseason overall.

FREE AGENCY
    Resign Postion
    Matt Haack P
    Elandon Roberts LB
    DeAndre Washington RB
    Mack Hollins WR
    Lulie'n Davenport LT
    Adam Pankey LG
    Davon Godchaux IDL
    Nik Needham CB
    Jake Rudock QB

Don't Resign Position
    Ryan Fitzpatrick QB Tua needs to know its his team
    Vince Biegel LB
    Ted Karras C
    Jomal Wiltz CB
    Kamu Grugier-Hil LB
    Kavon Frazier S

Cut Position
    Ereck Flowers LG save $
    Jakeem Grant WR can't catch
    Albert Wilson WR like him but too injury prone for the contract
    Bobby McCain S unreliable

Sign Position Contract
    Taylor Moton RT $80 Million/5 years Protect Tua (Don't spend on WR)
    Malik Hooker S $4 Million/1 year Low risk; high reward. Playmaker when healthy
    Jadeveon Clowney DE $20 Million/2 years Low risk; put him back to DE where he thrived
    Denzel Perryman MLB $24 Million/3 years We need to be better at stopping the run

Coaches
    Ken Dorsey OC
    Charlie Frye QB

DRAFT
    Name Position Pick
    Ja'Marr Chase WR Pick 5 Best WR in the draft
    Zaven Collins OLB Pick 24 Playmaker and all over the field
    Pat Freiermuth TE Pick 36 Redzone weapon (Baby Gronk)
    Rondale Moore WR Pick 38 Explosiveness, seperation, and YAC (Steve Smith)
    Creed Humphrey C Pick 50 Wanted him last year if he came out
    Javonte Williams RB Pick 55 Beast! (Ricky Williams)
    Talanoa Hufanga FS Pick 81 Versatile hybrid safety. Does it all (Polamalu)
    Shaka Toney DE Pick 116 Raw athlete thats needs developed
    Tommy Tremble FB/TE Pick 184 Stud blocker and can be an H-back

Trade #3 for CIN #5, 38, & 2020 1st Round
    Trade #18 for PIT #24 & 55

Depth Chart
    Offense
    QB
    Tua Tagovailoa
    Jake Ruddock

RB
    Myles Gaskin
    Javonte Williams*
    Salvon Ahmed
    DeAndre Washington

FB
    Tommy Tremble*
    Patrick Laird

WR
    DeVante Parker
    Ja'Marr Chase*
    Preston Williams
    Rondale Moore*
    Lynn Bowden Jr.
    Malcom Perry

TE
    Mike Gesicki
    Pat Freiermuth*
    Durham Smythe

LT
    Austin Jackson
    Julie'n Davenport

LG
    Solomon Kindley
    Adam Pankey

C
    Creed Humphrey*
    Michael Dieter

RG
    Robert Hunt
    Adam Pankey

RT
    Taylor Moton
    Jesse Davis

Defense
    LDE
    Christian Wilkins
    Shaka Toney*
    Zach Sieler

DT
    Raekwon Davis
    Davon Godchaux
    Benito Jones

RDE
    Jadeveon Clowney
    Emmanuel Ogbah
    Jason Snowbridge

WLB
    Zaven Collins*
    Shaq Lawson
    Andrew Van Ginkel

ILB
    Jerome Baker
    Denzel Perryman
    Elandon Roberts

SLB
    Klye Van Noy
    Sam Eguavoen

CB
    Xavien Howard
    Byron Jones
    Noah Igbinoghene
    Nik Needham

FS
    Malik Hooker
    Talanoa Hufanga*

SS
    Eric Rowe
    Brandon Jones

K
    Jason Sanders

P
    Matt Haack

I also wish we would add an all grey uniform and a navy one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by KodytheKing View Post
    Mikes my favorite player on the team right now so I would hate to see him go. But Im entirely focused on building the exact offense designed to maximize Tuas potential. I think Mike is getting better with Tua but he takes up a spot that could be used for an elusive/quick twitch WR. I think a TE room of Shaheen and Smythe works enough for what the offense is right now.

Ross is an interesting one. I could absolutely see him being picked up by the team since they love reclamation projects. Obviously not a guy you expect to do much, but bring him and see if you get lucky.
    I love Mike too. I will be honest I wanted Dallas Goedert in the draft(who I think would fit our new offense perfectly) but I was still excited to get Mike and his potential is through the roof. But youre right, he is a giant slot WR basically if he cant block effectively. We need speed at WR and players with YAC ability.

When I think this offense will be at its best is when we have a consistent run game(top 12) and I think it will incorporate TE's that are blocking first, receiving second, fast WR's that run bubbles, smokes, slants, crossers, and deep routes. Tua's talent will shine but his best trait will be getting us into the right play and making the right decision and letting the playmakers around him go to work. Thats at least what I envision and that's why I tend to think that Gesicki, Parker, and Preston are better suited elsewhere and we completely renovate the WR/TE room. Although I do think Shaheen and Smythe wouldnt be bad at all as our 1-2

Quote Originally Posted by Testino23 View Post
    I love Mike too. I will be honest I wanted Dallas Goedert in the draft(who I think would fit our new offense perfectly) but I was still excited to get Mike and his potential is through the roof. But youre right, he is a giant slot WR basically if he cant block effectively. We need speed at WR and players with YAC ability.

When I think this offense will be at its best is when we have a consistent run game(top 12) and I think it will incorporate TE's that are blocking first, receiving second, fast WR's that run bubbles, smokes, slants, crossers, and deep routes. Tua's talent will shine but his best trait will be getting us into the right play and making the right decision and letting the playmakers around him go to work. Thats at least what I envision and that's why I tend to think that Gesicki, Parker, and Preston are better suited elsewhere and we completely renovate the WR/TE room. Although I do think Shaheen and Smythe wouldnt be bad at all as our 1-2
    Just an FYI, cutting Ereck Flowers does not save us money. Pre June 1st of Post June 1st he saves us less than 1M and has almost 10M in dead money.

Not a fan of Clowney at all.

Look the Malik Hooker and Denzel Perryman signings, not sure Perryman is what we're lookin for though, especially because you brought back Elandon Roberts

Chase, Collins, Humphrey, and Williams would be an awesome draft

Release:

FS Bobby McCain
    SS Clayton Fejedelem
    WR Albert Wilson
    WR Jakeem Grant

Total cap savings: $12.8M

In my model, Im keeping Rowe. Rowe did very well on TEs last year. I just dont see the heavy value of McCain right now. Either can be cut in 2022 with a lot more cap savings if needed. Grant and Wilson are easy cuts for me. Im keeping Hurns though, cause cutting him does not save cap space in 2021 (according to Sportrac)

Extend:

DE Manny Ogbah
    LB Jerome Baker

Re-structure:

CB Xavien Howard

Resign:

OC Ted Karras

Im hoping they extend Ogbah and Baker, and pay Howard in 2021 what he is worth for a great year in 2020. I think they sign Karras back as an insurance policy in case they do not get one of the top OC in the draft. Our cap space is ridiculous in 2022 right now (something like $80M potentially). Might as well start spending some of it wisely and locking up key players.

FA Signing:

WR Allen Robinson
    DT Larry Ogunjobi

I think MIA swings for the fences with Robinson. Parker, Robinson, and Gesicki make for a formidable pass-catching trio (before the draft). I think we sure up the DL with a DT, and Im going with Ogunjobi here. Our edges are set this year with Ogbah, Lawson, Van Noy and Van Ginkel. Im not spending money on bringing in another one. Id rather draft one if need be.

Draft:
    *trade* CAR sends #8, #39, #134, and a 2022 1st rd pick for #3
    #8 WR Jaylen Waddle Im starting to like Waddle more than Smith right now. His quickness is on another level than any other 1st rd WR. Would fit perfectly as our new slot WR.

#18 RB Najee Harris taking Harris here makes sense as he probably will not make it out of the 1st rd.

#36 OC Creed Humphrey I will not stop mocking Humphrey to MIA. I want this kid on our OL and Im taking him a tiny bit higher than most have him going.

#39 (CAR) FS Richie Grant takes McCains spot at FS immediately. Dude is fast. This is Flos type of player.

#50 LB Dylan Moses I think he slips a tiny bit here and MIA scoops him. Hell be that thumper type LBer with adequate enough coverage skills to start opposite Baker.

#81 OT Walker Little Im taking some extra protection for the OL, and he can play either OT spot. I dont think he can be used at IOL.

#113 CB Eric Stokes again, more depth in the secondary.

#134 (CAR) LB Paddy Fisher

#194 QB Sam Ehlinger

#220 EDGE Jonathan Cooper

Id be shocked, SHOCKED I say, if MIA stayed at #3. If they stay at #3, I take Sewell there, and potentially take a WR like Terrence Marshall in the 2nd.

Used the www.profootballnetwork.com/mockdraft/ NFL Draft simulator and this is what I came up with:

14. DeVonta Smith WR Alabama
    18. Rashawn Slater OT Northwestern
    36. Zaven Collins LB Tulsa
    37. Creed Humphrey C Oklahoma
    52. Jaelan Phillips EDGE Miami (FL)
    58. Rondale Moore WR Purdue
    73. Javonte Williams RB North Carolina
    104. Tommy Tremble TE Notre Dame
    108. Tyler Shelvin DT LSU
    123. Trey Sermon RB Ohio State
    129. Ben Cleveland G Georgia
    131. James Wiggins S Cincinnati
    157. Shaka Toney EDGE Penn State
    158. Amen Ogbongbemiga LB Oklahoma State
    189. Robert Hainsey G Notre Dame
    208. Paddy Fisher LB Northwestern

Made several trade backs and acquired additional picks for next year:

2022 LAR 3rd
    2022 SEA 3rd
    2022 BAL 3rd
    2022 NYJ 4th

Lost for next year our 5th and 6th round picks so Miami will have our 1st through 4th
    round picks plus the 4 picks above along. Initially we had our 1st through 6th round picks for 2022.

Failed to pick up any CB's though.
    Last edited by phinman007; Yesterday at 07:42 PM.

My dream offseason. We don't trade for Watson. I am hearing the Bears are willing to overpay for Watson. Which means for us to get Watson we will have to give up more than expected.

QB-Ryan Fitzpatrick- Gone. I would love to see him back but I believe he goes to a team he can compete for a starting job. Tua starts and we find a bargain basement backup. If we can bring Fitz back for 5 to 6 million for 1 season count me in.

RB-Everyone but Gaston and Ahmed are dumped.

WR-Keep Preston Williams, Davante Parker, Matthew Perry, Lynn Bowden....Everyone else gone. Perry and Bowden showed potential. We can't go into the season with Preston Williams as a starter. He needs to be a 3rd or 4th WR.

TE-I would stick with our current TE group. Its not a strength but Geisecki, Smythe, and Sheehan is a solid trio.

OL-I think we need to make it a goal to improve our offensive line by at least 1 player.

DL-I think we are set here and just need to draft a lineman for the future.

LB-Ideally would be great to get a LB in the 1st or 2nd round who could start year 1.

Secondary. I would keep all 4. I think both Mcclain and Rowe are worth more than their salary.

Free agents. I would target 1 of the 4. Aaron Jones, Allen Robinson, Joe Thuney, or Corey Linsley and then look to resign our own free agents. If we have leftover money then look to solidify are backup positions.

Since we are rumored I am going with the idea we sign Aaron Jones and miss out on the other 3.

I want to trade down with pick 3 and get a extra 2nd this season plus another 1st next season.

I prefer Chase but I am expecting we trade down below Chase getting picked.

Our 1st rounders.

Either Waddle or Smith and that will cover 1 of our WR spots.

Zaven Collins.....Now that we have Aaron Jones as our RB we can turn our attention to a major need at LB.

I am going with the idea we will have 3 second rounders after we trade down.

I am looking for a Center in the 2nd or 3rd round.

I am looking for a Guard in the 2nd or 3rd round.

I am looking to double up with another WR with one of our 2nd round picks.

If Harris or Ettiene drop to our 1st pick in the 2nd round I am likely grabbing them.

I am looking for a potential edge rusher in the 2nd round. You can never have too many edge rushers.

Quote Originally Posted by Plague View Post
    My dream offseason. We don't trade for Watson. I am hearing the Bears are willing to overpay for Watson. Which means for us to get Watson we will have to give up more than expected.

QB-Ryan Fitzpatrick- Gone. I would love to see him back but I believe he goes to a team he can compete for a starting job. Tua starts and we find a bargain basement backup. If we can bring Fitz back for 5 to 6 million for 1 season count me in.

RB-Everyone but Gaston and Ahmed are dumped.

WR-Keep Preston Williams, Davante Parker, Matthew Perry, Lynn Bowden....Everyone else gone. Perry and Bowden showed potential. We can't go into the season with Preston Williams as a starter. He needs to be a 3rd or 4th WR.

TE-I would stick with our current TE group. Its not a strength but Geisecki, Smythe, and Sheehan is a solid trio.

OL-I think we need to make it a goal to improve our offensive line by at least 1 player.

DL-I think we are set here and just need to draft a lineman for the future.

LB-Ideally would be great to get a LB in the 1st or 2nd round who could start year 1.

Secondary. I would keep all 4. I think both Mcclain and Rowe are worth more than their salary.

Free agents. I would target 1 of the 4. Aaron Jones, Allen Robinson, Joe Thuney, or Corey Linsley and then look to resign our own free agents. If we have leftover money then look to solidify are backup positions.

Since we are rumored I am going with the idea we sign Aaron Jones and miss out on the other 3.

I want to trade down with pick 3 and get a extra 2nd this season plus another 1st next season.

I prefer Chase but I am expecting we trade down below Chase getting picked.

Our 1st rounders.

Either Waddle or Smith and that will cover 1 of our WR spots.

Zaven Collins.....Now that we have Aaron Jones as our RB we can turn our attention to a major need at LB.

I am going with the idea we will have 3 second rounders after we trade down.

I am looking for a Center in the 2nd or 3rd round.

I am looking for a Guard in the 2nd or 3rd round.

I am looking to double up with another WR with one of our 2nd round picks.

If Harris or Ettiene drop to our 1st pick in the 2nd round I am likely grabbing them.

I am looking for a potential edge rusher in the 2nd round. You can never have too many edge rushers.
    This looks good to me. I like the way you think.