Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 14 of 39 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by wiley6 View Post
    They might, but those guys also have options and no team can have enough pitching options. Also, teams are always looking for pitching at the trade deadline. Having more options is not only better for the team's success, but also gives the team more trade chips for either adding more minor league talent or filing other holes. Considering all of that, I see no reason to not get Shane Greene.
    Dodgers won a WS and made their bullpen stronger getting Knebel. I understand the Mets got May but they could use more arms. Yeah Vizcaino, Smith, Kilome, Castro etc are interesting and I'm sure one or more of those guys will make the OD roster but the Mets are going to end up trading for bullpen help at the deadline if they are in a playoff race. I would almost guarantee it. Stupid when there are RP out there right now for money.

I seriously can't stand watching either of them. They can't just run it back with those two. They need to get another reliable RP.
    I've said this for the last five years. Your stuff is good enough, JUST THROW STRIKES!! It's so frustrating to see these guys constantly ahead 0-2, 1-2 and end up with 30 pitches thrown in one inning

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Hardball View Post
    I've said this for the last five years. Your stuff is good enough, JUST THROW STRIKES!! It's so frustrating to see these guys constantly ahead 0-2, 1-2 and end up with 30 pitches thrown in one inning

That was the last time they could trust the infield to catch the freakin ball and throw it to the right base. They can't strike out everyone. Do you guys remember how Keith Hernandez would go to the mound to tell Orosco or McDowell to throw strikes and let him worry about the infield defense?

I don't think Alonso could tell Diaz that because Alonso never seems to know where to throw the ball. He is ok receiving the ball from the other infielders but the guy doesn't anticipate the play - never.

Quote Originally Posted by swbwtr View Post
    I don't think Alonso could tell Diaz that because Alonso never seems to know where to throw the ball. He is ok receiving the ball from the other infielders but the guy doesn't anticipate the play - never.
    Alonso is not a good defensive 1st baseman.

They might, but those guys also have options and no team can have enough pitching options. Also, teams are always looking for pitching at the trade deadline. Having more options is not only better for the team's success, but also gives the team more trade chips for either adding more minor league talent or filing other holes. Considering all of that, I see no reason to not get Shane Greene.
    with a 26 man roster, the Mets are going with a 13 man pitching staff.
    5 man rotation with Peterson in Syracuse.
    deGrom
    Carasco
    Stroman
    Walker
    Lucchesi

Noah as a mid season replacement

Diaz
    May
    Loup
    Castro
    Betances
    Familia
    And 2 of this group (Gsellman, Barnes, Smith, McWilliams, Tarpley)

Lugo a mid season replacement.
    Ideally I would want Lugo replace either Familia or Betances. But they are getting paid a lot of money.

I could see McWilliams emerging as a force in the pen.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Did you just re-watch the '86 and '69 World Series? Lots of comparisons in your recent posts to our 2 glory days in 58 years. I don't say that with malice, because I watch them all the time!

Being an old bastard who celebrated his 9th birthday on 10/16/69, I can say that the common things that '69, '86 and a few of the almost teams had was balance, a good veteran/youth mix, great managers (Davey and Hodges in particular) and luck.

The game has changed too much to compare bullpens, starters who go 5 v 8 innings, hit and run offenses v. long ball/launch angle lineups and advance metrics vs. some boozy manager's gut feeling lineups.

****, the difference in the game in the 17 years between '69 and '86 was pronounced, and now we're going on 35 years --twice as long between titles -- since 1986.

My favorite player in 1969 and a damned good one, Bud Harrelson (Seaver's roomy), probably couldn't make a major league roster in 2021.

Comparing baseball now to baseball in 1986 is akin to comparing baseball in 1986 to baseball in 1951. It was a great era, but radically different.

We'd be foolish to emulate anything about those teams other than their ability to figure out what it takes in their particular baseball moment to win it all. LFGM

Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    deGrom
    Carasco
    Stroman
    Walker
    Lucchesi

Diaz
    May
    Loup
    Castro
    Betances
    Familia

Ideally I would want Lugo replace either Familia or Betances. But they are getting paid a lot of money.

I think Peterson will make the team as a lefty in the pen if he doesn't beat out Lucchesi. If Peterson wins the 5th starter spot, then Lucchesi stays as the lefty in the pen. They will be long men and spot starters. I believe the pen will be Diaz, May, Loup, Castro, Lucchesi or Peterson, Betances or Familia and McWilliams. I see where one of Betances or Familia get traded or released by end of spring training. When Lugo gets back we'll see what's going on.

Love the lineup, bench and rotation but Im very worried about our bullpen. They can derail a good season quickly.

PAY ME!!!!

That was the last time they could trust the infield to catch the freakin ball and throw it to the right base. They can't strike out everyone. Do you guys remember how Keith Hernandez would go to the mound to tell Orosco or McDowell to throw strikes and let him worry about the infield defense?
    I love that

Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    deGrom
    Carasco
    Stroman
    Walker
    Lucchesi

Diaz
    May
    Loup
    Castro
    Betances
    Familia

Montgomery might make it as another pen lefty

Quote Originally Posted by The Futurist View Post
    Did you just re-watch the '86 and '69 World Series? Lots of comparisons in your recent posts to our 2 glory days in 58 years. I don't say that with malice, because I watch them all the time!

Being an old bastard who celebrated his 9th birthday on 10/16/69, I can say that the common things that '69, '86 and a few of the almost teams had was balance, a good veteran/youth mix, great managers (Davey and Hodges in particular) and luck.

The game has changed too much to compare bullpens, starters who go 5 v 8 innings, hit and run offenses v. long ball/launch angle lineups and advance metrics vs. some boozy manager's gut feeling lineups.

****, the difference in the game in the 17 years between '69 and '86 was pronounced, and now we're going on 35 years --twice as long between titles -- since 1986.

My favorite player in 1969 and a damned good one, Bud Harrelson (Seaver's roomy), probably couldn't make a major league roster in 2021.

Comparing baseball now to baseball in 1986 is akin to comparing baseball in 1986 to baseball in 1951. It was a great era, but radically different.

We'd be foolish to emulate anything about those teams other than their ability to figure out what it takes in their particular baseball moment to win it all. LFGM
    Well said, I was a snot nosed 5 year old in 1969. Wish I could remember that WS

I think Peterson will make the team as a lefty in the pen if he doesn't beat out Lucchesi. If Peterson wins the 5th starter spot, then Lucchesi stays as the lefty in the pen. They will be long men and spot starters. I believe the pen will be Diaz, May, Loup, Castro, Lucchesi or Peterson, Betances or Familia and McWilliams. I see where one of Betances or Familia get traded or released by end of spring training. When Lugo gets back we'll see what's going on.
    The only thing that could change this is the idea of having either Lefty stretched out and ready in AAA. With the AAA season starting a month late, we might see something hybrid like.

Quote Originally Posted by mets100% View Post
    Love the lineup, bench and rotation but Im very worried about our bullpen. They can derail a good season quickly.
    I love the Loup addition, and Trevor May is a solid arm. I am not worried about Diaz anymore, he did enough for me last year to show me he will be fine. Lugo can't get back fast enough.

Quote Originally Posted by mets100% View Post
    Same. I don't trust Familia or Betances as far as I could throw them.

Page 14 of 39 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast