Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 13 of 39 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    I want to see Vizcaino pitch hopefully he pitches in the weekend.

I think Sean Reid Foley will be a solid piece for this team.

Reid Foley will be a nice pick up I think. Hope Vizcaino has something left.

Also don't know why we're letting Shane Greene sit out there this long. He won't cost much at all at this point. Go get him before the Braves do.

Quote Originally Posted by bklynny67 View Post
    Reid Foley will be a nice pick up I think. Hope Vizcaino has something left.

Also don't know why we're letting Shane Greene sit out there this long. He won't cost much at all at this point. Go get him before the Braves do.
    Greene would be nice and it will suck if ATL gets him. At one point I imagine his demands for $ and years came down but once teams like the Mets realize that they're not nearly as deep as they thought in the pen, he may no longer come at a discount.

Also wondering if, like Hand, Hendricks and Rosenthal, he's holding out for a chance to close somewhere. Seems to be the move.

That ESPN broadcast was the most painful thing I've ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by mets100% View Post
    I want to see Vizcaino pitch hopefully he pitches in the weekend.
    I am tired of guys with good velocity and no command. They keep getting chances and in some cases major money for their ceilings when I feel like that's the last thing you want in a RP. You don't want a guy who is asked to put out a fire and instead just burns down the whole village. That's why I disliked the Familia deal when they brought him back. We knew Betances was some risk too but his velocity being down, along with command issues makes him just as scary.

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    I am tired of guys with good velocity and no command. They keep getting chances and in some cases major money for their ceilings when I feel like that's the last thing you want in a RP. You don't want a guy who is asked to put out a fire and instead just burns down the whole village. That's why I disliked the Familia deal when they brought him back. We knew Betances was some risk too but his velocity being down, along with command issues makes him just as scary.

I am beginning to see something happening this Spring Training that was similar to Spring Training 1984. The Mets had 3 veteran pitchers (Craig Swan, Mike Torrez and Dick Tidrow) who had good results in previous years but were at the end of their time. They also had 2 young pitchers in the Doc and Sid Fernandez who outperformed those 3 veteran pitchers and forced them out. The 2021 Mets have many young pitchers who seem to be hell bent on making the team out of Spring Training. Reid-Foley, Tarpley and McWilliams are just 3 of those. You can throw Yamamoto, Lucchesi and Peterson into that mix. Drew Smith looks like he might be coming back from his rehabbing of the past couple of years. There are others. If Familia and /or Betances and /or Gsellman can't cut the mustard, they will be gone. Today was just a microcosm of their problems. Familia can't get the ball over the plate anymore, Gsellman never had good enough stuff for MLB and Betances doesn't have a blazing fastball anymore (and never had anything other than that once upon a time blazing fastball that no one could catch up with).

Once the Mets cleared the deck of the overpriced and underperforming trio in 1984, that pitching staff went on in the next few years to be one of the best and deepest pitching staffs in major league history. Let's hope that is true now.

I just don't understand the idea of being cautiously optimistic when there are good RP out there now for nothing more than money. Yeah its a roster spot but whatever. Its better than having to trade assets for a RP at the deadline. I feel like its pretty obvious the Mets need another RP or two. I get the volatility. I get they have guys they like but there are only 4 guys I trust in their bullpen right now in Diaz, May, Lugo, and maybe Loup.

Everything else is just a crapshoot even if there are some intriguing arms there.

This bullpen could cost them the division. We saw what happened last year with the Phillies and how their bullpen crapped away their playoff spot.
    Last edited by metswon69; 03-04-2021 at 07:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    I just don't understand the idea of being cautiously optimistic when there are good RP out there now for nothing more than money. Yeah its a roster spot but whatever. Its better than having to trade assets for a RP at the deadline. I feel like its pretty obvious the Mets need another RP or two. I get the volatility. I get they have guys they like but there are only 4 guys I trust in their bullpen right now in Diaz, May, Lugo, and maybe Loup.

Everything else is just a crapshoot even if there are some intriguing arms there.

This bullpen could cost them the division. We saw what happened last year with the Phillies and how their bullpen crapped away their playoff spot.
    The Mets were always best in the bullpen when they had a shared closer. In 69 there was Taylor and a young guy named McGraw. In 86 there was Orosco and McDowell. We could use a partner for Diaz (preferably a lefty). I think behind them, the Mets have depth and they have young arms. Those bullpens in 69 and 86 behind the big duo in each of those years, were good pitchers who couldn't crack the starting rotation, maybe we'll see that this year.

Perhaps a byproduct of having a good offense is they have more guys on base to strand. Eventually they will stand runners on base if guys are getting on base all the time. Just a thought.

Also I think Trevor May will be excellent in the BP this year to help Diaz.
    Hopefully we can clear some dead weight (trade or send down or release) the guys in the BP who just don't have it any more.... I think we'd all like to see the young guys get a chance this year.

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaMetFan View Post
    Perhaps a byproduct of having a good offense is they have more guys on base to strand. Eventually they will stand runners on base if guys are getting on base all the time. Just a thought.

Also I think Trevor May will be excellent in the BP this year to help Diaz.
    Hopefully we can clear some dead weight (trade or send down or release) the guys in the BP who just don't have it any more.... I think we'd all like to see the young guys get a chance this year.
    Their .AVG with RISP has been bad. And they were one of the worst base running teams in MLB according to advanced stats. And they have a lot of slow guys. I think the overall avg. and .avg with RISP will be closer moving forward, because that's how averages work.

Agree that May will provide solid late depth. If Lugo is 2019 Lugo when he comes back that will help a lot, too. I'm sort of hoping that Familia and Betances continue to struggle this spring (and later hopefully regroup) and that the FO makes another move for Greene or Osuna.

Quote Originally Posted by The Futurist View Post
    Their .AVG with RISP has been bad. And they were one of the worst base running teams in MLB according to advanced stats. And they have a lot of slow guys. I think the overall avg. and .avg with RISP will be closer moving forward, because that's how averages work.

Agree that May will provide solid late depth. If Lugo is 2019 Lugo when he comes back that will help a lot, too. I'm sort of hoping that Familia and Betances continue to struggle this spring (and later hopefully regroup) and that the FO makes another move for Greene or Osuna.
    Definitely need another RP and it should be Greene. He is already familiar with the NL East and has had good numbers the last two years. I would rather they stay away from Osuna. No more domestic abusers on the team.

Quote Originally Posted by wiley6 View Post
    Definitely need another RP and it should be Greene. He is already familiar with the NL East and has had good numbers the last two years. I would rather they stay away from Osuna. No more domestic abusers on the team.
    Forgot about Osuna's criminal baggage. **** that.

I think one of the young arms might take the mantle instead of signing a veteran.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    I think one of the young arms might take the mantle instead of signing a veteran.
    They might, but those guys also have options and no team can have enough pitching options. Also, teams are always looking for pitching at the trade deadline. Having more options is not only better for the team's success, but also gives the team more trade chips for either adding more minor league talent or filing other holes. Considering all of that, I see no reason to not get Shane Greene.

Page 13 of 39 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast