Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 45
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    11,511

    Panthers Cut Tre Boston

    [Schefter] Panthers informed starting safety Tre Boston today that they are releasing him, per source.

    [Update] Shaq Thompson is the only remaining starter from the 2015 #Panthers team that went to Super Bowl 50.
    Dak: 17,634 @ 66.0%, 7.7 per att, 106+24 TD, 40 INT+34 FMB, 97.3 Rate
    Wentz: 16,811 @ 62.7%, 6.7 per att, 113+8 TD, 50 INT+58 FMB, 89.2 Rate

    Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef View Post
    I'll eat a shoe if BB is still coaching in 5 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    Sticking to traditions:

    IF Wentz is a Philadelphia Eagle in 2021, he will be the starter. If not, bye bye PSD, I'll leave.
    "Hater" is a term used by weak minded people in the face of legitimate criticism.
    -Scott van Pelt

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    687
    Lol Tre gets his own thread and he has always been an average to below average player.

    We released KK Short a few days ago, he was a much better player than this scrub.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    687
    Weatherly and Palardy also released today. Mind as well lump them in here.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    11,511
    Quote Originally Posted by Nunuu View Post
    Lol Tre gets his own thread and he has always been an average to below average player.

    We released KK Short a few days ago, he was a much better player than this scrub.
    Shrug, if I see news on the top of reddit, I post it over here. The "only 1 player left from Panthers 2015 season" was the bigger reason to post it.
    Dak: 17,634 @ 66.0%, 7.7 per att, 106+24 TD, 40 INT+34 FMB, 97.3 Rate
    Wentz: 16,811 @ 62.7%, 6.7 per att, 113+8 TD, 50 INT+58 FMB, 89.2 Rate

    Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef View Post
    I'll eat a shoe if BB is still coaching in 5 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    Sticking to traditions:

    IF Wentz is a Philadelphia Eagle in 2021, he will be the starter. If not, bye bye PSD, I'll leave.
    "Hater" is a term used by weak minded people in the face of legitimate criticism.
    -Scott van Pelt

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    13,381
    Boston wasn't a starter in 2015 actually, so technically KK Short was the last to go.

    Boston sucks, don't get me wrong, but this cut makes no sense. Hes our 3rd best DB and by cutting him we basically paid him 9.5M for one season when he arguably wasn't even worth 4M/season. It was a dumb contract a year ago, now it's even dumber.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    11,511
    Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef View Post
    Boston wasn't a starter in 2015 actually, so technically KK Short was the last to go.
    It says Shaq Thompson is still on the team, so I guess you mean 2nd to last?


    Either way, interesting that the Panthers had 4ish years with mostly the same guys but unable to repeat.
    Dak: 17,634 @ 66.0%, 7.7 per att, 106+24 TD, 40 INT+34 FMB, 97.3 Rate
    Wentz: 16,811 @ 62.7%, 6.7 per att, 113+8 TD, 50 INT+58 FMB, 89.2 Rate

    Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef View Post
    I'll eat a shoe if BB is still coaching in 5 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    Sticking to traditions:

    IF Wentz is a Philadelphia Eagle in 2021, he will be the starter. If not, bye bye PSD, I'll leave.
    "Hater" is a term used by weak minded people in the face of legitimate criticism.
    -Scott van Pelt

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    34,821
    Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef View Post
    Boston wasn't a starter in 2015 actually, so technically KK Short was the last to go.

    Boston sucks, don't get me wrong, but this cut makes no sense. Hes our 3rd best DB and by cutting him we basically paid him 9.5M for one season when he arguably wasn't even worth 4M/season. It was a dumb contract a year ago, now it's even dumber.
    I'm assuming you guys will designate it as post June 1st which means it will ultimately save $3.5M (won't actually realize those savings right away, but that alone will be enough to take the hit for your rookie class).

    If he sucks like you say, no reason not to do that. The contract he signed is in the past. Sunk cost. Just gotta do what's best from this point on.


    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    687
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullseyed View Post
    Shrug, if I see news on the top of reddit, I post it over here. The "only 1 player left from Panthers 2015 season" was the bigger reason to post it.
    But he is not the only player left from that 2015 season, Shaq is under contract still.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    687
    Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef View Post
    Boston wasn't a starter in 2015 actually, so technically KK Short was the last to go.

    Boston sucks, don't get me wrong, but this cut makes no sense. Hes our 3rd best DB and by cutting him we basically paid him 9.5M for one season when he arguably wasn't even worth 4M/season. It was a dumb contract a year ago, now it's even dumber.
    Im pretty sure the coaches want Chinn and Burris at safety. Boston was terrible last season. Constantly out of position, whiffing on tackles, taking bad angles.

    Also Hurney did that contract, our new GM is trying to clean up his mistakes. Wish we could clean up the CMC mistake, there was no reason to extend him with 1+1 left on his current contract.

    Hopefully our new GM is not a dumbass like hurney. Too many bad contracts because of feelings.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    687
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullseyed View Post
    It says Shaq Thompson is still on the team, so I guess you mean 2nd to last?


    Either way, interesting that the Panthers had 4ish years with mostly the same guys but unable to repeat.
    You will have to excuse MBC he is currently a undercover Patriots/Cam fan while awaiting the Panthers rebuild.

    We did not have mostly the same guys. We lost our shutdown corner the next offseason because of the dick measuring contest between him and gettleman. Basically our whole secondary was gutted, the secondary in 2016 was mostly rookies and castoffs. Our O-line fell to pieces, cam got hurt, guys got old, etc.

    We did return to the playoffs in 2017 with a one arm devin funchess and scrub receivers which cost us the saints playoff game.
    Last edited by Nunuu; 02-19-2021 at 06:02 PM.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    13,381
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullseyed
    It says Shaq Thompson is still on the team, so I guess you mean 2nd to last?


    Either way, interesting that the Panthers had 4ish years with mostly the same guys but unable to repeat.
    I honestly can't recall if Thompson was a starter in 2015. I seem to remember complaining about his lack of playing time most of the year, minus when Kuechly was hurt, but given that we mostly operated a 4-2-5 I'd imagine he likely never played more than half the snaps even when resting TD. I will say, we played a 4-3 in the NFCCG quite a bit and let him cover Larry Fitzgerald and he pretty much dominated. He's frustrating as a player; I like him and he's decent, but he's never lived up to expectations and I wouldn't be mad if we traded him.

    The thing about us "having the same guys" that people usually miss is the fact that we really didn't. We had our overall core (Cam, Luke, Olsen, TD, Short, Kalil, Turner, and Norwell) from 2014 to 2017, but every other position was jumbled around so much. WRs were never consistent, OTs were a revolving door, and we couldn't keep a secondary together to save our lives.

    BuT mUh 60% cOmPlEtion

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    13,381
    Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan
    I'm assuming you guys will designate it as post June 1st which means it will ultimately save $3.5M (won't actually realize those savings right away, but that alone will be enough to take the hit for your rookie class).

    If he sucks like you say, no reason not to do that. The contract he signed is in the past. Sunk cost. Just gotta do what's best from this point on.
    Yeah, so far it's being reported that it's a June 1st cut, but it still doesn't make a ton of sense when you consider we have a pretty bare secondary. The price it would cost to keep him in 2021 and cut him in 2022 vs the price of cutting him now only saves a total of 3.5M. So while it's cool that we get like 4-5M added in 2021, we still need to replace him unless some rando lower roster guy is expected to step up.

    He's really overrated overall, but he's abysmal in run defense. He's decent in coverage, but when he whiffs on tackles that lead to huge gains it kinda negates that positive. You'll never see worse tackling angles in the NFL than watching Boston. I liked him re-signing in 2019 for a cheap prove it deal, but he didn't prove anything and Marty Hurney signed him to a bigger deal than anyone wanted.

    BuT mUh 60% cOmPlEtion

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    687
    Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef View Post
    Yeah, so far it's being reported that it's a June 1st cut, but it still doesn't make a ton of sense when you consider we have a pretty bare secondary. The price it would cost to keep him in 2021 and cut him in 2022 vs the price of cutting him now only saves a total of 3.5M. So while it's cool that we get like 4-5M added in 2021, we still need to replace him unless some rando lower roster guy is expected to step up.

    He's really overrated overall, but he's abysmal in run defense. He's decent in coverage, but when he whiffs on tackles that lead to huge gains it kinda negates that positive. You'll never see worse tackling angles in the NFL than watching Boston. I liked him re-signing in 2019 for a cheap prove it deal, but he didn't prove anything and Marty Hurney signed him to a bigger deal than anyone wanted.
    If only we had gotten rid of Hurney last offseason we would be in a much better place right now.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    13,381
    Quote Originally Posted by Nunuu
    Im pretty sure the coaches want Chinn and Burris at safety. Boston was terrible last season. Constantly out of position, whiffing on tackles, taking bad angles.

    Also Hurney did that contract, our new GM is trying to clean up his mistakes. Wish we could clean up the CMC mistake, there was no reason to extend him with 1+1 left on his current contract.

    Hopefully our new GM is not a dumbass like hurney. Too many bad contracts because of feelings.
    Chinn is a great multi-tool, but I don't think he's a FS by any means. He can play FS/SS/NB/OLB, but honestly we still need a FS regardless of how promising Chinn looks because his versatility is so beneficial. Burris looked just as bad as Boston last year, I kinda expected him to get cut if anything.

    Not sure what you mean about CMC. He's a RB, so I get that, but when you have a guy who can put up 2000+ yards of production, 20+ TDs, and is a matchup nightmare in the passing game you'd be stupid to not re-sign him. It sucks he had the ankle injury and missed time, but he was pretty damn good in the games he played.

    You will have to excuse MBC he is currently a undercover Patriots/Cam fan while awaiting the Panthers rebuild.

    We did not have mostly the same guys. We lost our shutdown corner the next offseason because of the dick measuring contest between him and gettleman. Basically our whole secondary was gutted, the secondary in 2016 was mostly rookies and castoffs. Our O-line fell to pieces, cam got hurt, guys got old, etc.

    We did return to the playoffs in 2017 with a one arm devin funchess and scrub receivers which cost us the saints playoff game.
    I'm very much still a Panthers fan haha. I watched every minute of the 2020 trainwreck of a season.

    BuT mUh 60% cOmPlEtion

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    13,381
    Quote Originally Posted by Nunuu
    If only we had gotten rid of Hurney last offseason we would be in a much better place right now.
    I honestly don't think Hurney did anything last off-season. I'm convinced Rhule was the one who made the draft picks (they were too good to have been MH) and we hired the cap manager last off-season so I assumed Hurney didn't handle that either. Honestly keeping Hurney costed us big time by missing out on Barry as a GM, but I don't mind Fitterer.

    BuT mUh 60% cOmPlEtion

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •