Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by swbwtr View Post
    This team is loaded with (and overpaying) 5th starters and spot starters/ long relievers at this point. Hopefully deGrom and Thor come back next year as #1 and #2, but we don't have #3 and #4. I don't see Megill or Peterson being that good - they also are #5 starters on a good team. Add to that list Carrasco (who should be a #2 but I think those days are over), Taijuan obviously and the fact that Stroman (our expected #2 or #3) will likely not be back.

Based on that, the Mets have some work to do to improve the mid-rotation.
    Ideally Walker was their faith starter and he has pitched like one taking the whole year into account.

Megill and Peterson may be that as well or solid depth.

The question is going into next year who is their 1-4 guys and how does their health look?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be fair to Walker, this is the first time he's pitched more than a 150 innings since 2017. Part of this is just the fact that he doesn't have the arm strength that a more healthy SP would have. I think he's poised to have a better overall season in 2022 as long as he's healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Ideally Walker was their faith starter and he has pitched like one taking the whole year into account.

Megill and Peterson may be that as well or solid depth.

The question is going into next year who is their 1-4 guys and how does their health look?

Walker is fine enough to be a 4th or 5th starter, no doubt about that. The problem with the Mets this year was that they got no innings from their starting pitching and guys like Stroman - who didnít pitch last year, and Walker - who hadnít thrown this much in his life, had to take on the bulk of the innings.

Megill is also good enough to be a 4th or 5th starter but he canít he relied on to throw more than 150 innings next year, and who knows whatís happening with deGrom.

Peterson and Carrasco canít be counted on period, but can maybe be expected to throw 60-100 innings in a best case scenario.

Then you have guys like Szapucki and Lucchesi who might be ready for mid season as some depth.

Syndergaard and Stroman are free agents but should both be retained.

So starting 5 is

DeGrom
    Carrasco
    Megill
    Walker
    Peterson

So yeah, thatís not good. Mets need another 1A behind deGrom - like Scherzer (doubt he comes here) but I think they re-sign Stroman and think they should go hard after one of the future HOFs (Scherzer, Greinke, Kershaw, Verlander) or go after Alex Cobb, Robbie Ray, or Kevin GausmanÖguys who can give you a quality 180 innings a year.

If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumť

I don't even know if Megill is a starter, honestly. At this point he's probably better coming out of the pen. But yeah, nobody would be that upset at Walker if he were pitching 4th or 5th. And he might even perform better knowing there's no real pressure on him...though I don't think it can be denied that the sticky stuff ban hurt him. Also, the current blanket ban on substances probably won't extend into next season, and they'll find some happy medium.

The offense sucked buttsacks all year, but I think with Jake and Thor at 1 and 2 this year probably would have turned out different. Shame about deGrom, and I hope it doesn't become a recurring issue. Also, and this is a side-note, I thought the hardest thing about losing my dad would be watching our favorite player, but turns out Jake checked out before my dad did! Weird. Guess I'll have to wait til next year to get all misty about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    Walker is fine enough to be a 4th or 5th starter, no doubt about that. The problem with the Mets this year was that they got no innings from their starting pitching and guys like Stroman - who didnít pitch last year, and Walker - who hadnít thrown this much in his life, had to take on the bulk of the innings.

Megill is also good enough to be a 4th or 5th starter but he canít he relied on to throw more than 150 innings next year, and who knows whatís happening with deGrom.

Peterson and Carrasco canít be counted on period, but can maybe be expected to throw 60-100 innings in a best case scenario.

Then you have guys like Szapucki and Lucchesi who might be ready for mid season as some depth.

Syndergaard and Stroman are free agents but should both be retained.

So starting 5 is

DeGrom
    Carrasco
    Megill
    Walker
    Peterson

So yeah, thatís not good. Mets need another 1A behind deGrom - like Scherzer (doubt he comes here) but I think they re-sign Stroman and think they should go hard after one of the future HOFs (Scherzer, Greinke, Kershaw, Verlander) or go after Alex Cobb, Robbie Ray, or Kevin GausmanÖguys who can give you a quality 180 innings a year.

Gausman is the guy I would probably go after the hardest. He's another guy who received the QO last year so he can't be QOed again. I like his stuff more than Stroman. I also like the fact that he misses more bats. Less reliant on solid defense to be successful.

If the Mets sign someone with draft compensation, its going to be one player and I'm not sold they even do that. There's a chance they bring back Baez or sign Bryant or Marte. I dont think they want to lose that second 1st round pick, which I think would be the compensatory pick they would have to sacrifice if they signed a QOed FA. I believe bklynn and maybe Sick mentioned that already. They have room to make moves but its going to come down to how much they want to go over the luxury tax and who they bring in as POBO.

They need to explore the trade market too because I still think they are short a bat even with bringing in one of Baez/Marte or Bryant.

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Gausman is the guy I would probably go after the hardest. He's another guy who received the QO last year so he can't be QOed again. I like his stuff more than Stroman. I also like the fact that he misses more bats. Less reliant on solid defense to be successful.

If the Mets sign someone with draft compensation, its going to be one player and I'm not sold they even do that. There's a chance they bring back Baez or sign Bryant or Marte. I dont think they want to lose that second 1st round pick, which I think would be the compensatory pick they would have to sacrifice if they signed a QOed FA. I believe bklynn and maybe Sick mentioned that already. They have room to make moves but its going to come down to how much they want to go over the luxury tax and who they bring in as POBO.

They need to explore the trade market too because I still think they are short a bat even with bringing in one of Baez/Marte or Bryant.
    If they get a protected top 10 pick they will keep both picks.

They canít lose the comp pick for Rocker according to various people who have spoken about this on Twitter.

They canít lose the comp pick for Rocker according to various people who have spoken about this on Twitter.

Looks like they will finish with the 11th or 12th worst record in the majors. This team can't even do losing right lol.

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Looks like they will finish with the 11th or 12th worst record in the majors. This team can't even do losing right lol.
    Well root for the angels and Rockies to win a lot of games this last 9 days.

Iíve said it before but if they really cared about the draft, they wouldnít have either traded PCA/wouldíve signed Rocker. Losing those two insanely weakens the system but then again, I donít care anymore. Sign whoever, whether they cost a pick or not.

Go get ****ing Correa.

If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumť

Iíve said it before but if they really cared about the draft, they wouldnít have either traded PCA/wouldíve signed Rocker. Losing those two insanely weakens the system but then again, I donít care anymore. Sign whoever, whether they cost a pick or not.

Go get ****ing Correa.

I mean if signing Correa means losing a pick, then **** it!

Just pointing out how horrible this FO decision to not sign Rocker was because you now put yourself in a situation where you canít sign a guy with a QO attached to them because you will lose their other pick and their whole idea that having two first round picks was more valuable than signing Rocker.

I mean if signing Correa means losing a pick, then **** it!

Just pointing out how horrible this FO decision to not sign Rocker was because you now put yourself in a situation where you canít sign a guy with a QO attached to them because you will lose their other pick and their whole idea that having two first round picks was more valuable than signing Rocker.

Honestly after they refused to sign him, I was no longer rooting for this team to make the playoffs. Now they suck *** and might lose out on a top 10 pick, some sort of karmic justice.

**** Steve Cohen, I hate that guy more than I ever hated the Wilpons. Only thing thatís better is that he has more money, literally thatís it.

Honestly after they refused to sign him, I was no longer rooting for this team to make the playoffs. Now they suck *** and might lose out on a top 10 pick, some sort of karmic justice.

**** Steve Cohen, I hate that guy more than I ever hated the Wilpons. Only thing thatís better is that he has more money, literally thatís it.

Why the hate?

I mean he is an ******* but so are all billionaires.

My problem is who he put in charge of the organization because Alderson was just as frugal as the Wilpons and just not a very good GM let alone somebody that should be at the top of baseball operations.

Why the hate?

I mean he is an ******* but so are all billionaires.

My problem is who he put in charge of the organization because Alderson was just as frugal as the Wilpons and just not a very good GM let alone somebody that should be at the top of baseball operations.

Yeah I'll take an owner who likes to tweet all day if he hires the right guys to run his organization and do it successfully. To be fair to Cohen, he's new to this and he had some really bad luck in his first year in terms of acquisitions and hires. Porter embarrassed himself, Scott got arrested for a foolish act, his manager looked lost , the team had some personality clashes with the front office and Alderson looked completely out of touch in his hires. Not to mention Cohen's first big splash underperformed and the team fell apart after the trade deadline. The Rocker thing doesn't look good either.

This is just a lost year for this team. What's new I guess.

That said, I'm a lot more optimistic than at any point the Wilpons owned this team because I believe Cohen is set on getting this right. He has the money. Now he just has to hire the right executive to run the team and I'm sure he'll use his financial muscle to do so. Let's just hope those guys want to come here.
    Last edited by metswon69; 09-25-2021 at 08:20 PM.

Yeah I am more optimistic as well and I blame the ****** season on Alderson more than anything.

I was not a big fan of getting Lindor because I felt they can get a SS this up coming off season and the Mets put themselves in a situation where they had to pay big to keep him. Yet that showed me that the new owner is playing for keeps and will go all out to sign a player when he wants to.

The problem was Alderson because he should of gotten one of Realmuto or Springer as well. He also went to make ****** hires as far as GMís go, could not get anybody to be POBO because nobody wanted to be second to him in decisions made.

This off season is going to be huge for the Mets and if they come up with another mediocre roster, not one big name added and the prospect of McNeil at second and Cano at third base with the same pitching staff, then I will start to lose some hope in the owner.

First off they need a big POBO hire who will then in turn hire a GM and manager.

Cohen is another cocky billionaire ******** who thinks he knows everything. He fights with fans on Twitter and makes stupid *** takes.

Then him talking about Rocker like an investment rather than a person was pretty gross and tone deaf.

Mets minor leaguers are still being underpaid, by the richest owner lol.

Cohenís firm had the sexual harassment lawsuits filed against it.

The whole GameStop fiasco, his bum *** cost me some money, also trying to say that itís his day job and heís trying to make a living was a giant **** you.

Guy is a piece of garbage and the world would be better off if people like him were dead. His only saving grace is that he has money and honestly, heís not much better than the Wilpons.

Iíve said it a million times but itís like choosing between chronic diarrhea and rectal cancer. One is worse than the other but theyíre both ****.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast