Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wentz to the colts, compared to stafford trade

https://lionswire.usatoday.com/2021/...s-eagles-rams/

The Lions and Rams now have company in the 2021 offseason quarterback trade market. Weeks after the Lions agreed to trade Matthew Stafford to the Rams for Jared Goff, two first-round picks and a third-round selection, the Philadelphia Eagles and Indianapolis Colts have agreed to a trade involving Eagles QB Carson Wentz.

In return for Wentz, the Colts will send the Eagles a 2021 third-round pick and a 2022 conditional second-round pick that could bump to a first-rounder if Wentz meets certain incentives. As with the Stafford-Goff deal, the trade cannot be finalized until March 17th.

The Eagles’ relatively meager return for Wentz highlights just how well the new Lions front office, led by rookie GM Brad Holmes, handled the Stafford situation.

Let’s compare…

The Lions got all of this in return for Stafford, who is 33 and has suffered two separate instances of a broken back in the last three years:

2021 third-round pick
    2022 first-round pick
    2023 first-round pick
    2016 No. 1 overall pick Jared Goff
    Contrast that with what the Eagles landed for Wentz, 28 and with one broken back injury in the last three years.

2021 third-round pick
    2022 second-round pick that becomes a first-rounder if Wentz plays 75% of the snaps for the Colts or leads the team to the postseason.
    It shows just how valuable the NFL viewed Stafford despite his relative lack of team success in Detroit. Wentz was a leading MVP candidate in the 2017 season before an injury cut short his amazing year after 13 games; those Eagles proceeded to win the Super Bowl behind backup Nick Foles.

Wentz has not been the same player since returning and also suffering another injury in 2018. He led the NFL in interceptions (15) and sacks (50) in 2020 despite playing in just 12 games. He also led the NFL in fumbles (10) when he was benched for rookie Jalen Hurts.

Initial speculation had the Eagles demanding at least equal compensation for Wentz as what the Lions got in return for Stafford. It wound up not being even close. Detroit picked up an extra first-round pick and a replacement starter, at least temporarily, in Goff.

That highlights the correct decision by Holmes and the Lions to jump in front of the market and deal Stafford ahead of all the other potential QB shuffles. The difference between what the Lions will get for Stafford and the Eagles’ return on Wentz is a clear victory for Detroit.
    [img] [/img]
    ^Thanks for the memories #9^

click here to join the Lions Forum
    SE7EN time OTT Winner#1,#6,#10,#12, #14, #24 & #27
    Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    LFFS is the master at going from goofball to boss

Clearly the right move to jump ahead and get this deal done. IF we had waited I’d think we would have gotten less for stafford.... thoughts?
    [img] [/img]

Quote Originally Posted by Lionsfanfromsac View Post
    Clearly the right move to jump ahead and get this deal done. IF we had waited I’d think we would have gotten less for stafford.... thoughts?
    Wentz was higher profile because NFC east games are always primetime for some reason

Lions games are inconsequential, so only the highlights are seen, which means 2 or 3 amazing Stafford throws per game in a Lions loss.

Wentz has looked bad, but so has Stafford, but Wentz is higher profile so his inefficiencies are more on display, and the fact his team won a Super Bowl without him, makes the league see him as a bum.

Wentz worked with Frank Reich when he was actually good, so the trade makes sense for Indy in that regard

Stafford hasn't shown much, but when he does, it's on highlight films

This is the rare instance when the lack of exposure actually worked in the Lions favor, and the Lions brass actually took advantage of it.

This is weird lol

Wentz was higher profile because NFC east games are always primetime for some reason

Lions games are inconsequential, so only the highlights are seen, which means 2 or 3 amazing Stafford throws per game in a Lions loss.

Wentz has looked bad, but so has Stafford, but Wentz is higher profile so his inefficiencies are more on display, and the fact his team won a Super Bowl without him, makes the league see him as a bum.

Wentz worked with Frank Reich when he was actually good, so the trade makes sense for Indy in that regard

Stafford hasn't shown much, but when he does, it's on highlight films

This is the rare instance when the lack of exposure actually worked in the Lions favor, and the Lions brass actually took advantage of it.

This is weird lol
    or hear me out... Stafford is better than Wentz? o.O

Quote Originally Posted by rocket View Post
    That too.

Wentz was atrocious this year.

Still i think that if we had waited, we may have gotten less because the rams could have used Wentz as a barometer.
    [img] [/img]

Still i think that if we had waited, we may have gotten less because the rams could have used Wentz as a barometer.
    That I agree with too. Outside of another suiter being off the table, you would have precedent set for the QB market being established. Rams would definitely try to use that. Even if you think Wentz<Stafford or vice versa having the Wentz trade go first would have been bad for us.

It's real hard to type this, and even think it, but man, the organization is looking good this offseason. They acted quickly with Stafford and benefitted quite nicely for it. The Eagles saw what we got and went, "Hey, we want that. We have Wentz. Come and get him!"

Had they waited until this Wentz trade, or another as several have been rumored, who knows how low of a return they could have gotten.

Quote Originally Posted by rocket View Post
    I mean, Stafford has a career rating of 89.9, Wentz has a career rating of 89.2, per Pro Football Reference

Wentz had a horrific season and everyone saw it, his replacement got drafted, and his turnover situation was abysmal, and he's still barely worse than Stafford, while being younger and having fewer broken backs (lol)

I forgot the point I was making

**** the bears

I mean, Stafford has a career rating of 89.9, Wentz has a career rating of 89.2, per Pro Football Reference

Wentz had a horrific season and everyone saw it, his replacement got drafted, and his turnover situation was abysmal, and he's still barely worse than Stafford, while being younger and having fewer broken backs (lol)

**** the bears
    **** the fackers

**** the bears
    Lolololol
    [img] [/img]

Like most of said that if the Wentz trade or even for that matter Watson getting traded before Stafford would have hurt us. Its nice for a change to actually have a competent Front Office and Kudos to them for pulling that off. Wentz going to the Colts was pretty much a no brainer. The Eagles thought they could have at least gotten a first rounder for him and they only received a 3rd this year and a conditional 2022 pick that could turn into a 1st rounder based on playing time. On top of that they have to take on the worst dead cap hit in NFL History of $33.8M. I think Wentz is good and time will only tell. He is going into a pretty good situation with a top 5 OLine, a decent run game and weapons on the outside to throw to plus a top 10 D.

2016 PSD LIONS FORUM COMEBACK POSTER OF THE YEAR

Favorite Teams
    Detroit Red Wings
    Detroit Lions Welcome to Detroit Brad Holmes and Welcome Back DCam aka The Dude. Thanks for the Memories Stafford.
    Detroit Tigers Welcome to Detroit AJ Hinch!
    North Carolina Tarheels Mens Basketball Thank You for the memories Coach Williams and Good Luck to Coach Davis!
    Florida State Seminoles Welcome to Tallahassee Mike Norvell!

Quote Originally Posted by vader817 View Post
    Like most of said that if the Wentz trade or even for that matter Watson getting traded before Stafford would have hurt us. Its nice for a change to actually have a competent Front Office and Kudos to them for pulling that off. Wentz going to the Colts was pretty much a no brainer. The Eagles thought they could have at least gotten a first rounder for him and they only received a 3rd this year and a conditional 2022 pick that could turn into a 1st rounder based on playing time. On top of that they have to take on the worst dead cap hit in NFL History of $33.8M. I think Wentz is good and time will only tell. He is going into a pretty good situation with a top 5 OLine, a decent run game and weapons on the outside to throw to plus a top 10 D.
    Couldn’t the same be said for any QB? Good OLine, decent run game = success?
    [img] [/img]

not 100% sure if this is true, but I don't think the offers were going to get better. We had what...3 serious teams? My guess is that none of those teams would have changed the offer TOO much.

Wentz didn't get the same haul..because wentz only has 1.5-2 great years of play, injury history, apparent locker room issues (this is debated, but it's still out there), and apparently a lack of confidence.

Couldn’t the same be said for any QB? Good OLine, decent run game = success?
    Yes...Wentz had his best years with Reich as his OC. If Wentz doesn't succeed in Indy then I guess you could label him a bust.

2016 PSD LIONS FORUM COMEBACK POSTER OF THE YEAR

Favorite Teams
    Detroit Red Wings
    Detroit Lions Welcome to Detroit Brad Holmes and Welcome Back DCam aka The Dude. Thanks for the Memories Stafford.
    Detroit Tigers Welcome to Detroit AJ Hinch!
    North Carolina Tarheels Mens Basketball Thank You for the memories Coach Williams and Good Luck to Coach Davis!
    Florida State Seminoles Welcome to Tallahassee Mike Norvell!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast