Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    It's a much bigger storm this time since it affected more of the state. I don't expect them to maintain supplies and equipment to manage with the roads for once a decade storms. I don't know that any southern states require crawl spaces under roofs to be insulated ... for the most part they put effort into getting the hot air out as that is better for energy efficiency which homeowners prefer. You insulate the living area not the space between the living area and the roof. My water heater pipes are insulated and they froze anyhow.

The failure that really matters was the private companies inability to bring power generation online as they are required to do.
    You dont need to put uninsulated pvc piping in the attic crawl space though. There are other options. Texans are now finding this out.

Quote Originally Posted by zookman65 View Post
    Agree on your last point however that was by choice in that they avoided any sort of winterization for the extremes due to the costs which now seem trivial vs the extent of damage due to the outages. When you are a public utility you absolutely plan for extremes and build into your risk management plans. This will change and you will see Texas power utilities better able to handle extreme cold in the future.
    Even that wouldn't have been an issue if they didn't all have similar issues. The grid is public the generation is private.

Quote Originally Posted by zookman65 View Post
    You dont need to put uninsulated pvc piping in the attic crawl space though. There are other options. Texans are now finding this out.
    Sure. It doesn't make sense to leave hot water pipes uninsulated full stop. If modern house building code in TX doesn't require it already that is confusing.

That said, the reality is that if power didn't fail most of the frozen pipes wouldn't have happened either.

Yeah, I don't really care when politicians take vacation as long as they are not taking more than a reasonable number of days off. Everybody needs a break from time to time and a trip to Cancun in winter makes sense. Now if he didn't make the plans until the big storm was forecast then I have a problem with it.
    It's a bad visual during this crisis for a leader to leave his state. I take it you don't live in Texas, because some of them aren't so generous with their opinion of him. He can take a break after this is over. Add in that despicable letter that now ex-mayor wrote isn't making these Texas officials look good. Cruz is an elected official charged with the welfare of his state. It was a totally selfish move for his position.

If your family was living without heat for a couple of days, and now questionable water supply, I think you would be singing a different tune.
    Last edited by WES445; 02-18-2021 at 01:32 PM.
    A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.

Martin Luther King.

Peope aren’t acting like he won’t be re-elected during his next election by a wider margin despite this and all the other things we don’t like. Just like he won’t be booted after January 6th.

Quote Originally Posted by WES445 View Post
    It's a bad visual during this crisis for a leader to leave his state. I take it you don't live in Texas, because some of them aren't so generous with their opinion of him. He can take a break after this is over. Add in that despicable letter that now ex-mayor wrote isn't making these Texas officials look good. Cruz is an elected official charge with the welfare of his state. It was a totally selfish move for his positon.
    I do live in Texas. If I have a vacation planned and my job has an emergency that they want me to stay for they have to pay for my lost vacation expenses and any premium I have to pay to re-book it later and for my family. And the reality is that I would then be screwing my wife and kids out of their vacation for my job too (because they would probably have to be in school and thus vacation would just be lost entirely). It would be even worse if I could adequately deal with any job issues remotely from my vacation.

The only reason it's an issue is because people are making an issue of it. What did they expect him to do shovel snow? Warm up the power plants? Basically his job is to talk and he can do that from somewhere else too. If the story was "Cruz cancelled his vacation and charged the state $30k for his lost vacation expenses" the people would probably be pissed about that too.

This just seems like non-news unless he ran from the storm last minute.

It's a bad visual during this crisis for a leader to leave his state. I take it you don't live in Texas, because some of them aren't so generous with their opinion of him. He can take a break after this is over. Add in that despicable letter that now ex-mayor wrote isn't making these Texas officials look good. Cruz is an elected official charged with the welfare of his state. It was a totally selfish move for his position.

If your family was living without heat for a couple of days, and now questionable water supply, I think you would be singing a different tune.
    We were without power and water for a day and the pipes froze. Thankfully we have both back now, and have been sheltering another family with us. They got power back this morning but the roads are so bad they can't get home.

I have issues with Cruz, but this "news" doesn't change them.

I do live in Texas. If I have a vacation planned and my job has an emergency that they want me to stay for they have to pay for my lost vacation expenses and any premium I have to pay to re-book it later and for my family. And the reality is that I would then be screwing my wife and kids out of their vacation for my job too (because they would probably have to be in school and thus vacation would just be lost entirely). It would be even worse if I could adequately deal with any job issues remotely from my vacation.

The only reason it's an issue is because people are making an issue of it. What did they expect him to do shovel snow? Warm up the power plants? Basically his job is to talk and he can do that from somewhere else too. If the story was "Cruz cancelled his vacation and charged the state $30k for his lost vacation expenses" the people would probably be pissed about that too.

This just seems like non-news unless he ran from the storm last minute.
    No, people don't expect him to shovel snow. That isn't his job. His job is to be front and center during crises and at least give the appearance of concern. Do we really need to talk about leadership skills?? Are is that something you only show doing good times?
    Last edited by WES445; 02-18-2021 at 02:05 PM.
    A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.

Martin Luther King.

No gotta damn vacation is that important to skip out to during a state emergency. He needs to get his priority straight. Politicians have lost their jobs for less. It happened in Chicago when a mayor did a piss poor job handling the fallout from a snowstorm.
    Last edited by WES445; 02-18-2021 at 02:08 PM.

Martin Luther King.

No gotta damn vacation is that important to skip out to during a state emergency. He needs to get his priority straight. Politicians have lost their jobs for less. It happened in Chicago when a mayor did a piss poor job handling the fallout from a snowstorm.
    I don't know that Cruz is doing a poor job of handling this. Frankly I don't know what his job is in a state's weather response. He's supposed to be our representative in DC ... I think the Senate is recessed until Friday.

If he blamed the green new deal then that is a clear fail, but he managed to do that regardless of his vacation.

So Trump can **** on Ted Cruz’s wife and Ted blames his daughters for his trip to Mexico. We need someone to have a “have you no shame sir” moment with Tedward.

Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    So Trump can **** on Ted Cruz’s wife and Ted blames his daughters for his trip to Mexico. We need someone to have a “have you no shame sir” moment with Tedward.
    Won't be Scoots.

I don't know that Cruz is doing a poor job of handling this. Frankly I don't know what his job is in a state's weather response. He's supposed to be our representative in DC ... I think the Senate is recessed until Friday.
    How about being physically present when millions of people are suffering? At least he didn't criticize people for asking for help from the government during this crisis, he just skipped town. Like a captain leaving the wheelhouse when his ship is in trouble. "Sorry boys, I got to ditch y'all because I had this vacation plan......"

How hard would it be for him to get on TV and talk about how to get through this? Like not burning things in your house or sitting in an enclosed area with the car engine running. Just look like he is engaged in helping can be a big plus. Even to stand there to take the criticism, right or wrong, would look like he is engaged and concern.

Going to Cancun during this looks like an escape plan to gets away from the hardships his state is suffering from.

Martin Luther King.

How about being physically present when millions of people are suffering? At least he didn't criticize people for asking for help from the government during this crisis, he just skipped town. Like a captain leaving the wheelhouse when his ship is in trouble. "Sorry boys, I got to ditch y'all because I had this vacation plan......"

How hard would it be for him to get on TV and talk about how to get through this? Like not burning things in your house or sitting in an enclosed area with the car engine running. Just look like he is engaged in helping can be a big plus. Even to stand there to take the criticism, right or wrong, would look like he is engaged and concern.

Going to Cancun during this looks like an escape plan to gets away from the hardships his state is suffering from.
    I think it's interesting how people think he will lose an election or suffer some sort of consequences from this action.
    Let's get embedded tweets working again!

https://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sh...5#post33780085

It’s always funny to see the differences between the US and Canada with situations like this. Politicians from across the country and across political affiliations who have taken vacations DURING Covid have had to either resign or lose their spots on committees they were on, just to name a couple punishments.

In the US, during a current natural disaster in the state they represent, they’re given the free pass. Lol

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast