Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Good to see what the people who actually run the power grid say rather than the politicians who leverage the freezing of millions to attack the entirely unimplemented Green New Deal.

https://twitter.com/ctraywick/status...176024578?s=21

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    The narrative from conservatives in general has been the transition to green energy is what caused the lack of power.
    Okay, so not the green new deal. That would be REALLY stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    And to add insult to injury, through it all, downtowns in Houston and Dallas were happily and fully lit up.
    The explanation we got was that the rules say they can't turn off critical service power and apparently there are critical services in downtowns of cities. It kind of sucks but it at least makes sense and is some sort of a plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    I think their using this to attack the Green New deal, not to say that this was caused by it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    He also refused to send help to the northeast when Sandy hit.
    Well hopefully he learned a little something

Correct, the Green New Deal is not to blame nor is any sort of renewable resources. They have wind turbines that operate properly in Alaska and the northeast without issue, where the weather is FAR worse. In fact the agency actually responsible for running the systems that renewables are as unculpable as possible.
    Let's get embedded tweets working again!

https://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sh...5#post33780085

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    I think their using this to attack the Green New deal, not to say that this was caused by it.
    I live in DFW and Yes they are using it as a straw man to attack the Green New Deal but they are also attacking green energy within Texas even though that attribution is demonstrably wrong. In the winter wind only accounts for between 7 to 9 percent of expected Texas grid base load. We lost about 1/3 of that. The remaining loss of nearly 40 percent of generating capacity was coal, gas and nuclear load. Of course we are Texas and no Guberment is going to tell us how to winterize our stuff because we hate regulations and building codes and safety codes and stuff.. We Texas strong, we Texas dumb...

This whole Texas situation is just an example of how partisan and stupid political dialogue has gotten.

Texas gets extremely unusual weather. Texas is not prepared for that weather.

Texas politician makes stupid partisan comment about the Green New Deal.

Instead focusing on the problem that needs addressing both sides enter an insult competition.

I think the Dems need to follow their new leader and start avoiding this constant insult and blame game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    This whole Texas situation is just an example of how partisan and stupid political dialogue has gotten.

Texas gets extremely unusual weather. Texas is not prepared for that weather.

Texas politician makes stupid partisan comment about the Green New Deal.

Instead focusing on the problem that needs addressing both sides enter an insult competition.

I think the Dems need to follow their new leader and start avoiding this constant insult and blame game
    I agree. I'm not at all surprised Texas wasn't prepared for an unusual weather event. It wouldn't make sense for Texas to have enough road clearing available for the whole state. And the state isn't responsible for running the day to day operations of the power generating plants, and they screwed it up (much as PG&E has screwed up MANY times in California including blackouts any time there is wind because when they didn't black out they burned down thousands of houses). Texas state does run the transmission of power and that seems to have worked well during the storm.

It becoming a partisan issue is just stupid coming out of political and media faces.

I agree. I'm not at all surprised Texas wasn't prepared for an unusual weather event. It wouldn't make sense for Texas to have enough road clearing available for the whole state. And the state isn't responsible for running the day to day operations of the power generating plants, and they screwed it up (much as PG&E has screwed up MANY times in California including blackouts any time there is wind because when they didn't black out they burned down thousands of houses). Texas state does run the transmission of power and that seems to have worked well during the storm.

It becoming a partisan issue is just stupid coming out of political and media faces.
    A little bit colder but similar to the weather event only 10 years ago that shutdown super bowl week in DFW in 2011. A little winterization could go a long way, right? Also not helping is the anti-regulatory approach to home building codes where builders are allowed to put uninsulated pipes in uninsulated attics. Good planning

Ted Cruz flew to Cancun with family amid Texas power crisis: source

Sen. Ted Cruz flew to Cancun, Mexico, with his family this week as Texas dealt with a winter storm that as of Thursday still has left 500,000 without power, Fox News has confirmed.

Photographs of Cruz, R-Texas, at an airport began circulating on social media late Wednesday, with people alleging that the senator had left the state for Cancun amid a major crisis. A Republican source told Fox News that the allegations Cruz was traveling to the Mexican city are true.

"The photos speak for themselves," the source said.

Temperatures this week have plunged to dangerous record lows in the Lone Star State and overwhelmed power grids, leaving millions without power. At least 30 people have died across the U.S. as a result of the extreme winter weather, according to the Associated Press.
    https://www.foxnews.com/politics/ted...r-crisis-texas

Not a good look Rafael.

The Lost Boys of PSD

Quote Originally Posted by zookman65 View Post
    A little bit colder but similar to the weather event only 10 years ago that shutdown super bowl week in DFW in 2011. A little winterization could go a long way, right? Also not helping is the anti-regulatory approach to home building codes where builders are allowed to put uninsulated pipes in uninsulated attics. Good planning
    It's a much bigger storm this time since it affected more of the state. I don't expect them to maintain supplies and equipment to manage with the roads for once a decade storms. I don't know that any southern states require crawl spaces under roofs to be insulated ... for the most part they put effort into getting the hot air out as that is better for energy efficiency which homeowners prefer. You insulate the living area not the space between the living area and the roof. My water heater pipes are insulated and they froze anyhow.

The failure that really matters was the private companies inability to bring power generation online as they are required to do.

Quote Originally Posted by statquo View Post
    Yeah, I don't really care when politicians take vacation as long as they are not taking more than a reasonable number of days off. Everybody needs a break from time to time and a trip to Cancun in winter makes sense. Now if he didn't make the plans until the big storm was forecast then I have a problem with it.

It's a much bigger storm this time since it affected more of the state. I don't expect them to maintain supplies and equipment to manage with the roads for once a decade storms. I don't know that any southern states require crawl spaces under roofs to be insulated ... for the most part they put effort into getting the hot air out as that is better for energy efficiency which homeowners prefer. You insulate the living area not the space between the living area and the roof. My water heater pipes are insulated and they froze anyhow.

The failure that really matters was the private companies inability to bring power generation online as they are required to do.
    Agree on your last point however that was by choice in that they avoided any sort of winterization for the extremes due to the costs which now seem trivial vs the extent of damage due to the outages. When you are a public utility you absolutely plan for extremes and build into your risk management plans. This will change and you will see Texas power utilities better able to handle extreme cold in the future.

Yeah, I don't really care when politicians take vacation as long as they are not taking more than a reasonable number of days off. Everybody needs a break from time to time and a trip to Cancun in winter makes sense. Now if he didn't make the plans until the big storm was forecast then I have a problem with it.
    Right up there with Tony Romo's ill advised weekend to Cabo with Jessica Simpson the week before the playoff game with the Giant in 07 season. That ended well also...

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast