Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post
    I guess Iím also looking at whoís running the show. In a vacuum, sure, I can get on board, but considering this team is pretty weak in a few areas and the GM running the draft, Iíd rather take shots at building the foundation of the team with multiple picks than drafting a QB, again, where heíll only be cheap for 4 years.

As bad as Dallas was on defense, they were able to build a solid foundation and got a solid enough QB. They were rolling with Romo but building through the draft on the line and everything else.

At this point Iíd rather roll with Hurts and take a flyer later this draft on a QB and use the rest on the foundation. Iím pretty sure youíve also stated before something similar before drafting a QB. Iíd rather take advantage of those cheap years of a talented QB than get one when the team isnít that ready to compete yet.
    Both approaches can work but I think adding a good QB on a rookie contract to a good team is more difficult because you won't draft that high. It comes down to this draft class to me. There will be a QB with great potential available. 2019 would have been different.

If 2021 is a "transition year" anyway, why not evaluate two QBs instead of one?
    Last edited by QB_Eagles; 02-18-2021 at 12:37 PM.

So Eagles are pretty much guaranteed to draft a QB now right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think QB should definitely be in play for PHI. If they feel there's a franchise guy there you have to consider it unless they have full conviction that Hurts is the guy for real for real (as opposed to just talking themself into him - there's a difference).

If they do just roll with Hurts and add a blue chip piece around him, that can go two ways: 1) Hurts plays well enough and instill confidence that he can be a starter, or 2) he sucks. If it's 1, then they'll probably be happy they didn't draft a QB. If it's 2, then they're likely picking high next year and in range for a QB prospect.

I will separately throw out a Pats-centric idea. We all know Lawrence is going #1. Sewell is seemingly a lock to go no later than #5. That means that one of Wilson, Fields or Lance, by definition, has to be on the board at #6. Seems also very plausible too that a second one could be on the board as well if another non QB makes his way up the board. If NE offered #15, #45 and next year's 1st rounder, that seems like a fair offer for #6 based on past trade ups for a QB, IMO. That would set PHI up for a year of seeing how Hurts does and then having 3 1st rounders next year to go get a QB if he fails. PHI misses out on the elite talents at the top of the draft (Pitts, the 3 WRs, Parsons, Farley) but I like the OL options at #15 which is a big need for them IMO. Just throwing that out there.

NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    I think QB should definitely be in play for PHI. If they feel there's a franchise guy there you have to consider it unless they have full conviction that Hurts is the guy for real for real (as opposed to just talking themself into him - there's a difference).

If they do just roll with Hurts and add a blue chip piece around him, that can go two ways: 1) Hurts plays well enough and instill confidence that he can be a starter, or 2) he sucks. If it's 1, then they'll probably be happy they didn't draft a QB. If it's 2, then they're likely picking high next year and in range for a QB prospect.

I will separately throw out a Pats-centric idea. We all know Lawrence is going #1. Sewell is seemingly a lock to go no later than #5. That means that one of Wilson, Fields or Lance, by definition, has to be on the board at #6. Seems also very plausible too that a second one could be on the board as well if another non QB makes his way up the board. If NE offered #15, #45 and next year's 1st rounder, that seems like a fair offer for #6 based on past trade ups for a QB, IMO. That would set PHI up for a year of seeing how Hurts does and then having 3 1st rounders next year to go get a QB if he fails. PHI misses out on the elite talents at the top of the draft (Pitts, the 3 WRs, Parsons, Farley) but I like the OL options at #15 which is a big need for them IMO. Just throwing that out there.
    There is actually a 3rd scenario that could happen. Hurts doesnít play well but also doesnít play bad. The Eagles end up 8-8 and never have a shot at a top 10 QB again while Hurts is starting.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    There is actually a 3rd scenario that could happen. Hurts doesnít play well but also doesnít play bad. The Eagles end up 8-8 and never have a shot at a top 10 QB again while Hurts is starting.

Well then you just pull him halfway through the season for Sudfled and tank. Turn week 17 of last year into a season plan lol

Quote Originally Posted by QB_Eagles View Post
    Both approaches can work but I think adding a good QB on a rookie contract to a good team is more difficult because you won't draft that high. It comes down to this draft class to me. There will be a QB with great potential available. 2019 would have been different.

If 2021 is a "transition year" anyway, why not evaluate two QBs instead of one?
    I could get on board with it. I just donít want to see a trade up.

It just seems this team may be awhile away from contending regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

Atlanta Falcons should go for Fields but I wouldn't be surprised if Fields ends up slipping all the way to #8 and Carolina takes him...it would be their first franchise QB since Cam Newton so that is why I'm hoping Fields goes to the Panthers. However, the Falcons desperately need a quarterback to be the successor for Matt Ryan but who?

Quote Originally Posted by Tg11 View Post
    Atlanta Falcons should go for Fields but I wouldn't be surprised if Fields ends up slipping all the way to #8 and Carolina takes him...it would be their first franchise QB since Cam Newton so that is why I'm hoping Fields goes to the Panthers. However, the Falcons desperately need a quarterback to be the successor for Matt Ryan but who?
    With all the teams needing QBís now I doubt Fields makes it to 8. I donít see Fields getting past Atlanta at 4. There is also still a good chance a team trades up to 3 and takes a QB. Even the Bengals at 5 could be talked into trade down. I would not be shocked if 5 QBís end up going in the top 10. Mac Jones could find himself in the top 10.

So what QB do the Philly fans want the Eagles to draft at 6?

Really zeroing in on Tulsa LB Zaven Collins as the pick for NE at #15. Fits the scheme like a glove in the Hightower role. I don't think they can afford to move back past MIA at #18 and still get him either and feel he's worth staying at #15 for.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    So what QB do the Philly fans want the Eagles to draft at 6?

I don't want a QB but Zach Wilson is my choice. I don't believe he will be available. You will have to trade up.

Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    Really zeroing in on Tulsa LB Zaven Collins as the pick for NE at #15. Fits the scheme like a glove in the Hightower role. I don't think they can afford to move back past MIA at #18 and still get him either and feel he's worth staying at #15 for.
    That seems high for Collins at 15?

Quote Originally Posted by Kobe1016 View Post
    That seems high for Collins at 15?
    Not sure he'd get past MIA at #18 with Brian Flores down there.

Hightower plays a very unique role for NE. It takes a unique physical profile to be able to do all of the things they ask of him and it's been a vital element of their scheme. I think Collins is uniquely built to play in that role so I think it's worth a "reach" because I think the impact of having a guy who can play that way vs a guy who can't makes huge difference in BB's scheme preferences.

Quote Originally Posted by Kobe1016 View Post
    I don't want a QB but Zach Wilson is my choice. I don't believe he will be available. You will have to trade up.
    Yea Zack Wilson is likely going 2nd overall now. Atlanta is set up perfect to draft the hometown guy Fields at 3 too. Perfect replacement for Matt Ryan.

The crazy thing is that after the combine or player workouts or whatever theyíre going to do this year there is a chance that someone trades up inside the top 5 to draft Trey Lance. That could then cause a team to knee jerk and trade up into the top 10 to draft Max Jones.

I wouldn't be surprised if Trey Lance or Mac Jones end up being the breakout QB of this draft because last season nobody expected Herbert to turn into a superstar QB and win Offensive Rookie of the Year...same thing could happen with Lance or even Jones for that matter or even Wilson

Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast