Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 23 of 43 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post
    And he was a 2nd rounder.

I guess with Pitts I just keep going back to where highly effective and productive TEs are taken not being in the 1st round and especially not top 10. Pitts may be Travis Kelce but considering Travis Kelce was found in the 3rd round and a lot of other all time TEs were found in the 2nd round or later, why not gamble on finding another Travis Kelce there than take a gamble on a player that could be (even if a higher percentage that he will be) him at 6 overall?

I do also get the idea of taking BPA over need especially in the Eagles case but letís say Pitts is BPA at 6 while someone like Smith is 2nd best BPA or Farley is (just throwing names), do you bypass the BPA for the next one or two when the next one or two is still a top BPA while also filling a more pressing need?

I understand Pitts is/can be more than just a TE but as warf actually said, are you going to be able to just plug him in like you could a Smith or Farley or whatever?

Ultimately, If Pitts is BPA Iíd actually rather trade down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I agree with all this. TE for me is a position that is like RB. You can find very good, franchise type players in the 2nd,3rd or 4th round.

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    Agreed on all of this. And really if the BPA grades were:
    Pitts 9.6
    Slater 9.55
    Chase 9.55
    Smith 9.5

Itís not like you are taking a major jump down from BPA to do a BPA at position of need. Especially a 4 spot potential guy like Slater to play either OT or OG.

Yeah I agree with this too. If pitts is BPA and the 2nd guy on your board is just slightly lower but at a bigger position of need, Iíll go with that 2nd guy. And thatís not just because of the TE position, I feel that way about any position really.

And he was a 2nd rounder.

I guess with Pitts I just keep going back to where highly effective and productive TEs are taken not being in the 1st round and especially not top 10. Pitts may be Travis Kelce but considering Travis Kelce was found in the 3rd round and a lot of other all time TEs were found in the 2nd round or later, why not gamble on finding another Travis Kelce there than take a gamble on a player that could be (even if a higher percentage that he will be) him at 6 overall?

I do also get the idea of taking BPA over need especially in the Eagles case but letís say Pitts is BPA at 6 while someone like Smith is 2nd best BPA or Farley is (just throwing names), do you bypass the BPA for the next one or two when the next one or two is still a top BPA while also filling a more pressing need?

I understand Pitts is/can be more than just a TE but as warf actually said, are you going to be able to just plug him in like you could a Smith or Farley or whatever?

Ultimately, If Pitts is BPA Iíd actually rather trade down.

Random but funny thinking of Kelce is the following went first:
    Tyler Eifert
    Zach Ertz
    Gavin Escobar
    Vance McDonald
    Travis Kelce
    Jordan Reed

Only 2 of those 6 didn't make a Pro Bowl

Let's have fun with the other best TE in George Kittle:
    OJ Howard
    Evan Engram
    David Njoku
    Gerald Everett
    Adam Shaheen
    Jonnu Smith
    Michael Roberts
    Jake Butt
    George Kittle
    Last edited by warfelg; 03-16-2021 at 09:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by QQQ View Post
    Yeah I agree with this too. If pitts is BPA and the 2nd guy on your board is just slightly lower but at a bigger position of need, Iíll go with that 2nd guy. And thatís not just because of the TE position, I feel that way about any position really.
    Very true. While I believe in BPA if itís close you can compromise by adding need to the equation.

The Eagles have a bigger hole at wide receiver then tight end IMO. Jalen Reagor is still 'unknown.'

Updated mock for NFL Draft

Tyler Eifert
    Zach Ertz
    Gavin Escobar
    Vance McDonald
    Travis Kelce
    Jordan Reed

OJ Howard
    Evan Engram
    David Njoku
    Gerald Everett
    Adam Shaheen
    Jonnu Smith
    Michael Roberts
    Jake Butt
    George Kittle
    I did this exercise last month I think in the Eagles sub.

You look at all this big time productive, top 5ish TEs, and none are 1st rounders or even the first TEs taken.

I understand WR probably have a bigger bust rate but there arenít many TEs usually taken in a draft (compared to WR) yet youíre going to see more first round WR hits than you are TE hits in the first round.

You go through every draft and Iíd bet that youíre going to find at least one TE better than the one drafted 1st. Youíll also probably find a pretty solid guy in each of them that is in the 3rd or later.

Last edited by koldjerky; 03-16-2021 at 10:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

Quote Originally Posted by mariner4life View Post
    Very true. While I believe in BPA if itís close you can compromise by adding need to the equation.
    Agreed

Tyler Eifert
    Zach Ertz
    Gavin Escobar
    Vance McDonald
    Travis Kelce
    Jordan Reed

OJ Howard
    Evan Engram
    David Njoku
    Gerald Everett
    Adam Shaheen
    Jonnu Smith
    Michael Roberts
    Jake Butt
    George Kittle
    I remember the draft that people were saying eifert was clearly the #1 TE and then ertz was behind him at #2. Here we are 8 years later and eifert has really only had 1 good year and that year is comparable to ertz 6th or 7th best year.

Also, jack doyle who was an undrafted free agent that same year as Tyler eifert, has had just as good if not a better career than Tyler eifert (so far).

To top it all off, the best TE in that draft wasnít even taken till the 3rd round (kelce). So yeah, Iím all about waiting till later in the draft to dip into the TE position

Watch the eagles draft Doug pedersons son, josh pederson, in the 6th round and he goes on to be the best TE in this draft.

I agree with all this. TE for me is a position that is like RB. You can find very good, franchise type players in the 2nd,3rd or 4th round.
    Exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by Kobe1016 View Post
    The Eagles have a bigger hole at wide receiver then tight end IMO. Jalen Reagor is still 'unknown.'
    And how much better would Reagor be if he had JaíMarr Chase or DeVonte Smith on the other side him drawing coverage away and Geodert working the middle of the field?

Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    https://twitter.com/patscap/status/1...725833/photo/1

Not a mock or anything, but was reading the local Pats salary cap guy and thought this would be good place to share. It's about the misconception that it takes like $10M of cap to sign a draft class.

A whole draft class will have a combined cap number of about $10M maybe, but the rule of top 51 offsets that. Cap space is determine counting all of your dead money, all of the signing bonus pro ration and then you're top 51 salaries. This shows how even to pay a whole draft class, you only need to set aside like $3-5M in cap space or so, depending on where your picks are.
    Yeah, you don't need a lot of cap space if you trade away your entire draft for a Top 5 pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    And how much better would Reagor be if he had JaíMarr Chase or DeVonte Smith on the other side him drawing coverage away and Geodert working the middle of the field?
    That's why I would most like Chase. But I don't really care that much.

I did this exercise last month I think in the Eagles sub.

You look at all this big time productive, top 5ish TEs, and none are 1st rounders or even the first TEs taken.

I understand WR probably have a bigger bust rate but there arenít many TEs usually taken in a draft (compared to WR) yet youíre going to see more first round WR hits than you are TE hits in the first round.

You go through every draft and Iíd bet that youíre going to find at least one TE better than the one drafted 1st. Youíll also probably find a pretty solid guy in each of them that is in the 3rd or later.

I donít think WR has a higher bust rate rather the busts are higher profile compared to the TE.

I remember the draft that people were saying eifert was clearly the #1 TE and then ertz was behind him at #2. Here we are 8 years later and eifert has really only had 1 good year and that year is comparable to ertz 6th or 7th best year.

Also, jack doyle who was an undrafted free agent that same year as Tyler eifert, has had just as good if not a better career than Tyler eifert (so far).

To top it all off, the best TE in that draft wasnít even taken till the 3rd round (kelce). So yeah, Iím all about waiting till later in the draft to dip into the TE position
    And in each one of those the cases the highly taken TEs did fine, but it was a later one that ends up being better.

And I have a bit of a theory about this:
    Look at Kelce and Kittle. Two traditionally run based schools. So they didnít put up the gaudy stats that other higher taken guys did. But their tape showed what they could do in limited opportunities. And teams get too caught up in the did produce because thereís more tape of them doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    And how much better would Reagor be if he had Kyle Pitts on the other of side him drawing coverage away and lining up in double sets with Geodert working the middle of the field?

Fixed

Page 23 of 43 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast