Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 22 of 43 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post
    And he was a 2nd rounder.

I guess with Pitts I just keep going back to where highly effective and productive TEs are taken not being in the 1st round and especially not top 10. Pitts may be Travis Kelce but considering Travis Kelce was found in the 3rd round and a lot of other all time TEs were found in the 2nd round or later, why not gamble on finding another Travis Kelce there than take a gamble on a player that could be (even if a higher percentage that he will be) him at 6 overall?

I do also get the idea of taking BPA over need especially in the Eagles case but letís say Pitts is BPA at 6 while someone like Smith is 2nd best BPA or Farley is (just throwing names), do you bypass the BPA for the next one or two when the next one or two is still a top BPA while also filling a more pressing need?

I understand Pitts is/can be more than just a TE but as warf actually said, are you going to be able to just plug him in like you could a Smith or Farley or whatever?

Ultimately, If Pitts is BPA Iíd actually rather trade down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Agreed on all of this. And really if the BPA grades were:
    Pitts 9.6
    Slater 9.55
    Chase 9.55
    Smith 9.5

Itís not like you are taking a major jump down from BPA to do a BPA at position of need. Especially a 4 spot potential guy like Slater to play either OT or OG.

Slater may be great. But isnít he 6-3? Thatís not good as a tackle

Which means he has to play guard in all likelihood

Do you draft a guard in the top 10? Iíd argue thatís as unheard of as a TE. I prefer mailata to slater. And I definitely prefer a healthy lane. So heíd likely have to play guard. But they already have seumalo and brooks under contract

Itíd be different if some of these guys were gone

You wanna argue WR, CB, QB, over pitts thatís fine

But OL is dangerous because youíre either benching a really expensive uncuttable lineman or benching the 6th pick

Huge mistake

Iíd argue parsons over slater just based on where this team is weak right now.

Especially with guys I actually like on the bench already in driscoll and herbig

Eagles need like a rosters worth of DBs and LBs. WR may even be a slight wrong pick at 6

Quote Originally Posted by QB_Eagles View Post
    Pitts didn't even play basketball in college; how can he turn into Antonio Gates??
    Gates was undrafted by the way. No reason at all to take a TE in the top half of the 1st round.

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    Iím not low on Pitts. I just think heís super overrated. This is the same guy that just 4 months ago was rated as a 2nd rounder and now some of those same people are attaching ďhall of fameĒ to him.

Exactly! There is at least 1 of these guys in every draft. A guy rated in the 2nd or 3rd round all of a sudden jumps up the boards. This guy has a better chance of turning into Mike Mumula than Travis Kelsey (based on career not position).

Quote Originally Posted by QQQ View Post
    Has there ever been a TE that was super hyped up before the draft that met expectations?
    No, there hasnít.

Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    If heís going for 1000/10 I donít care if he can block.
    You really think a rookie TE is going for 1000/10? His comp in the NFL right now Iíd say is Engram. Engram is never going 1000/10.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrei00 View Post
    What does that have to do with how good or bad he actually is as a blocker? I get that it's the easiest thing to pick on for a guy that is projected to be a primarily pass-catcher, but every time I've watched him block I couldn't stop thinking, 'what in the hell are all those people picking on his blocking actually seeing?'. The effort is definitely there, to say the least.
    Theyíre seeing he canít block.

Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post
    And he was a 2nd rounder.

I guess with Pitts I just keep going back to where highly effective and productive TEs are taken not being in the 1st round and especially not top 10. Pitts may be Travis Kelce but considering Travis Kelce was found in the 3rd round and a lot of other all time TEs were found in the 2nd round or later, why not gamble on finding another Travis Kelce there than take a gamble on a player that could be (even if a higher percentage that he will be) him at 6 overall?

I do also get the idea of taking BPA over need especially in the Eagles case but letís say Pitts is BPA at 6 while someone like Smith is 2nd best BPA or Farley is (just throwing names), do you bypass the BPA for the next one or two when the next one or two is still a top BPA while also filling a more pressing need?

I understand Pitts is/can be more than just a TE but as warf actually said, are you going to be able to just plug him in like you could a Smith or Farley or whatever?

Ultimately, If Pitts is BPA Iíd actually rather trade down.

Iíd say there is a better chance that the 2nd or 3rd TE in this draft ends up having a better career than Pitts.

Quote Originally Posted by last stand View Post
    Slater may be great. But isnít he 6-3? Thatís not good as a tackle

Which means he has to play guard in all likelihood

Do you draft a guard in the top 10? Iíd argue thatís as unheard of as a TE. I prefer mailata to slater. And I definitely prefer a healthy lane. So heíd likely have to play guard. But they already have seumalo and brooks under contract

Itíd be different if some of these guys were gone

You wanna argue WR, CB, QB, over pitts thatís fine

But OL is dangerous because youíre either benching a really expensive uncuttable lineman or benching the 6th pick

Huge mistake
    Slater actually measured in at 6í4Ē. I didnít see what his reach measured in at though. If heís one of those guys with super long arms being 6í4Ē isnít going to hurt him at LT.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    Theyíre seeing he canít block.

Eyes can be misleading, I guess.

Iíd say there is a better chance that the 2nd or 3rd TE in this draft ends up having a better career than Pitts.

This is precisely the type of analytical, objective thinking that should drive NFL decision-making more.

You really think a rookie TE is going for 1000/10? His comp in the NFL right now Iíd say is Engram. Engram is never going 1000/10.

Even Antonio Gates only eclipsed 1000 yards twice in his long career.

https://twitter.com/patscap/status/1...725833/photo/1

Not a mock or anything, but was reading the local Pats salary cap guy and thought this would be good place to share. It's about the misconception that it takes like $10M of cap to sign a draft class.

A whole draft class will have a combined cap number of about $10M maybe, but the rule of top 51 offsets that. Cap space is determine counting all of your dead money, all of the signing bonus pro ration and then you're top 51 salaries. This shows how even to pay a whole draft class, you only need to set aside like $3-5M in cap space or so, depending on where your picks are.

NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    https://twitter.com/patscap/status/1...725833/photo/1

Not a mock or anything, but was reading the local Pats salary cap guy and thought this would be good place to share. It's about the misconception that it takes like $10M of cap to sign a draft class.

A whole draft class will have a combined cap number of about $10M maybe, but the rule of top 51 offsets that. Cap space is determine counting all of your dead money, all of the signing bonus pro ration and then you're top 51 salaries. This shows how even to pay a whole draft class, you only need to set aside like $3-5M in cap space or so, depending on where your picks are.
    Thanks for sharing. I knew the top 51 rule but I always forget the offsetting part.

Page 22 of 43 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast