Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 10 of 38 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 136 to 150 of 567
  1. #136
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    10,162
    Quote Originally Posted by Tg11 View Post
    Which to me I don't understand especially after last season they just drafted Hurts to be the successor for Wentz
    I donít know that they drafted Hurts to be his successor. I honestly think they envisioned a role similar to Taysom Hill. Unfortunately Wentz psyche was so fragile that he couldnít take having another QB on the roster that was any good.

    Also even though Hurts did play well at times and clearly injected some life into the offense letís not pretend he was perfect. There were some games later in the season where his accuracy was pretty bad. He was all over the place in some games.

    I think those two factors will play a big role in why they target a QB (if they target a QB).


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #137
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Bethlehem
    Posts
    42,498
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    I donít know that they drafted Hurts to be his successor. I honestly think they envisioned a role similar to Taysom Hill. Unfortunately Wentz psyche was so fragile that he couldnít take having another QB on the roster that was any good.

    Also even though Hurts did play well at times and clearly injected some life into the offense letís not pretend he was perfect. There were some games later in the season where his accuracy was pretty bad. He was all over the place in some games.

    I think those two factors will play a big role in why they target a QB (if they target a QB).


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tg knows people in the league so he knows that the Eagles only intention on drafting Hurts was as Wentzí successor.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

  3. #138
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    17,666
    According to caplan, hurts was literally drafted to be Carsonís backup and a gadget guy. According to him it had a lot to do with 2019 and losing Carson against Seattle and not having someone effective to put in there. Also an eventual asset.

    Him and mosher both vehemently disagreed with the thought process as well

    But that was why he was drafted. I think their thought was he has legs and can kinda throw. Thereís no better type of backup if you think about it. If your QB gets hurt what better than to have your backup come in and be able to run for first downs and keep you competitive

    They also said the Russell Wilson comment had more to do with not drafting the guy when you want by gambling heíll be there later and someone snagging said player moreso than them thinking jalen was Russell Wilson

    I wonít guarantee they draft a QB, but I will say the likelihood is higher than many eagles fans are giving credit. I know caplan and mosher donít think they will as of now but they also believe the moment howie and lurie like a guy at QB is the moment theyíll draft one.

  4. #139
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    [emoji288]
    Posts
    20,722
    Quote Originally Posted by last stand View Post
    According to caplan, hurts was literally drafted to be Carsonís backup and a gadget guy. According to him it had a lot to do with 2019 and losing Carson against Seattle and not having someone effective to put in there. Also an eventual asset.

    Him and mosher both vehemently disagreed with the thought process as well

    But that was why he was drafted. I think their thought was he has legs and can kinda throw. Thereís no better type of backup if you think about it. If your QB gets hurt what better than to have your backup come in and be able to run for first downs and keep you competitive

    They also said the Russell Wilson comment had more to do with not drafting the guy when you want by gambling heíll be there later and someone snagging said player moreso than them thinking jalen was Russell Wilson

    I wonít guarantee they draft a QB, but I will say the likelihood is higher than many eagles fans are giving credit. I know caplan and mosher donít think they will as of now but they also believe the moment howie and lurie like a guy at QB is the moment theyíll draft one.
    They must have read my comments in the PSD draft thread, because I pretty much made all these arguments back then. BDawk can confirm.

  5. #140
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,018
    I'm always nervous as an eagles fan when it comes to the draft. Afterward I'm pissed off of the players Howie drafted LOL.

  6. #141
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    24,462
    I think drafting Hurts had more to do with the Russell Wilson situation than anything. Howie sucks but I hope even he isn't dumb enough to take a guy to fill a Taysom Hill type role which is worthless.

  7. #142
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    [emoji288]
    Posts
    20,722
    Quote Originally Posted by EAGLES3658 View Post
    I think drafting Hurts had more to do with the Russell Wilson situation than anything. Howie sucks but I hope even he isn't dumb enough to take a guy to fill a Taysom Hill type role which is worthless.
    The main reason was to have a cheap backup QB for 4 years.

    Unfortunately Wentz took that personally, and not in the Michael Jordan way.

  8. #143
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    64,011
    I'll say now what I said then:

    Drafting a QB in the 2nd because of wanting better depth isn't stupid, but it is when you have other issues.
    Drafting a QB that can be a gadget guy isn't stupid, but it is when you do it in the 2nd round.
    Drafting a QB because you have regrets of passing on another guy is stupid.

    If Roseman just said parts one and two of that: We needed to make sure that we had depth and we can make a role for him...ok I can get that. But when the part of regretting passing on Wilson is added and it happens in the second round, it becomes a mistake IMO. Especially when you add in his head scratching (to me) wanting to be a QB factory comment. So now he's saying he wants to use high picks, use roster spots, and spend coaching time developing a player you hope to flip for a higher pick in 3-4 years? Huh? Why not use the pick to develop a player who can start for you in 3-4 years.

    A quick look at this under Roseman:
    2010 4th - Mike Kafka. Kam Chancellor was a All-Pro drafted near him, but his Seattle role was perfect so I won't give Roseman too much crap. But....Kafka never developed.

    (Break here to mock Danny Watkins in the 1st with Cam Jordan, Mo Wilkerson, Cam Heyward all on the board)

    2012 3rd Nick Foles. Interesting case here. Didn't really develop under Andy, did under Chip, traded, bombed, almost retired, back and did well, bombing somewhat again. Don't faulting the pick, but it's an odd trajectory.

    2013 4th Matt Barkley. Did nothing.

    2016 1st Wentz. We all know this debate.

    2019 5th Clayton Thorston. Honestly don't know if he's even in the NFL.

    2020 2nd Jalen Hurts.

    To me this whole thing is head scratching like I said. He's taken a good number of QB's (a lot like BB), but much of his reasoning for doing so (regrets, "QB factory", gadget player) falls kinda flat.

  9. #144
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Bethlehem
    Posts
    42,498
    Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    I'll say now what I said then:

    Drafting a QB in the 2nd because of wanting better depth isn't stupid, but it is when you have other issues.
    Drafting a QB that can be a gadget guy isn't stupid, but it is when you do it in the 2nd round.
    Drafting a QB because you have regrets of passing on another guy is stupid.

    If Roseman just said parts one and two of that: We needed to make sure that we had depth and we can make a role for him...ok I can get that. But when the part of regretting passing on Wilson is added and it happens in the second round, it becomes a mistake IMO. Especially when you add in his head scratching (to me) wanting to be a QB factory comment. So now he's saying he wants to use high picks, use roster spots, and spend coaching time developing a player you hope to flip for a higher pick in 3-4 years? Huh? Why not use the pick to develop a player who can start for you in 3-4 years.

    A quick look at this under Roseman:
    2010 4th - Mike Kafka. Kam Chancellor was a All-Pro drafted near him, but his Seattle role was perfect so I won't give Roseman too much crap. But....Kafka never developed.

    (Break here to mock Danny Watkins in the 1st with Cam Jordan, Mo Wilkerson, Cam Heyward all on the board)

    2012 3rd Nick Foles. Interesting case here. Didn't really develop under Andy, did under Chip, traded, bombed, almost retired, back and did well, bombing somewhat again. Don't faulting the pick, but it's an odd trajectory.

    2013 4th Matt Barkley. Did nothing.

    2016 1st Wentz. We all know this debate.

    2019 5th Clayton Thorston. Honestly don't know if he's even in the NFL.

    2020 2nd Jalen Hurts.

    To me this whole thing is head scratching like I said. He's taken a good number of QB's (a lot like BB), but much of his reasoning for doing so (regrets, "QB factory", gadget player) falls kinda flat.
    He got lucky with the flipping of Bradford and wants to keep that up.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

  10. #145
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    64,011
    Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post
    He got lucky with the flipping of Bradford and wants to keep that up.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Iíve had that stance from day one. If it were for Bridgewater destroying his knee, Bradford might not have been traded. That was more luck that good foresight.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #146
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    91,702
    Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    I'll say now what I said then:

    Drafting a QB in the 2nd because of wanting better depth isn't stupid, but it is when you have other issues.
    Drafting a QB that can be a gadget guy isn't stupid, but it is when you do it in the 2nd round.
    Drafting a QB because you have regrets of passing on another guy is stupid.

    If Roseman just said parts one and two of that: We needed to make sure that we had depth and we can make a role for him...ok I can get that. But when the part of regretting passing on Wilson is added and it happens in the second round, it becomes a mistake IMO. Especially when you add in his head scratching (to me) wanting to be a QB factory comment. So now he's saying he wants to use high picks, use roster spots, and spend coaching time developing a player you hope to flip for a higher pick in 3-4 years? Huh? Why not use the pick to develop a player who can start for you in 3-4 years.

    A quick look at this under Roseman:
    2010 4th - Mike Kafka. Kam Chancellor was a All-Pro drafted near him, but his Seattle role was perfect so I won't give Roseman too much crap. But....Kafka never developed.

    (Break here to mock Danny Watkins in the 1st with Cam Jordan, Mo Wilkerson, Cam Heyward all on the board)

    2012 3rd Nick Foles. Interesting case here. Didn't really develop under Andy, did under Chip, traded, bombed, almost retired, back and did well, bombing somewhat again. Don't faulting the pick, but it's an odd trajectory.

    2013 4th Matt Barkley. Did nothing.

    2016 1st Wentz. We all know this debate.

    2019 5th Clayton Thorston. Honestly don't know if he's even in the NFL.

    2020 2nd Jalen Hurts.

    To me this whole thing is head scratching like I said. He's taken a good number of QB's (a lot like BB), but much of his reasoning for doing so (regrets, "QB factory", gadget player) falls kinda flat.
    It was most definitely stupid when there were bigger needs to address.

  12. #147
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    [emoji288]
    Posts
    20,722
    Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    I'll say now what I said then:

    Drafting a QB in the 2nd because of wanting better depth isn't stupid, but it is when you have other issues.
    Drafting a QB that can be a gadget guy isn't stupid, but it is when you do it in the 2nd round.
    Drafting a QB because you have regrets of passing on another guy is stupid.

    If Roseman just said parts one and two of that: We needed to make sure that we had depth and we can make a role for him...ok I can get that. But when the part of regretting passing on Wilson is added and it happens in the second round, it becomes a mistake IMO. Especially when you add in his head scratching (to me) wanting to be a QB factory comment. So now he's saying he wants to use high picks, use roster spots, and spend coaching time developing a player you hope to flip for a higher pick in 3-4 years? Huh? Why not use the pick to develop a player who can start for you in 3-4 years.

    A quick look at this under Roseman:
    2010 4th - Mike Kafka. Kam Chancellor was a All-Pro drafted near him, but his Seattle role was perfect so I won't give Roseman too much crap. But....Kafka never developed.

    (Break here to mock Danny Watkins in the 1st with Cam Jordan, Mo Wilkerson, Cam Heyward all on the board)

    2012 3rd Nick Foles. Interesting case here. Didn't really develop under Andy, did under Chip, traded, bombed, almost retired, back and did well, bombing somewhat again. Don't faulting the pick, but it's an odd trajectory.

    2013 4th Matt Barkley. Did nothing.

    2016 1st Wentz. We all know this debate.

    2019 5th Clayton Thorston. Honestly don't know if he's even in the NFL.

    2020 2nd Jalen Hurts.

    To me this whole thing is head scratching like I said. He's taken a good number of QB's (a lot like BB), but much of his reasoning for doing so (regrets, "QB factory", gadget player) falls kinda flat.
    A starting caliber RB is as cheap in free agency as a capable backup QB. So drafting a QB who is expected to be a capable backup in the 2nd round is like drafting a RB who is expected to be a starter in the 2nd round. Plenty of teams do the latter, but the former is like an all-time mistake of a pick for some reason.

  13. #148
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    64,011
    Quote Originally Posted by QB_Eagles View Post
    A starting caliber RB is as cheap in free agency as a capable backup QB. So drafting a QB who is expected to be a capable backup in the 2nd round is like drafting a RB who is expected to be a starter in the 2nd round. Plenty of teams do the latter, but the former is like an all-time mistake of a pick for some reason.
    Little confused as to what your point is here.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  14. #149
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,292
    But as far as the Denver Broncos go they too also need a quarterback much more than any other position because Drew Lock is definitely not the guy to carry this franchise

  15. #150
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    91,702
    Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    Little confused as to what your point is here.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    He's claiming spending the equivalent in draft capital on a starting RB isn't treated as being as dumb as what teams do drafting a QB for the same reason.

    I can't agree with it.

Page 10 of 38 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •