Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    Lol I like the jaws of life line. It's true too. I think mid season is when we'll finally see him make a deal. There's been no rush to make any big deals up until now.
    I still don't think they are in a rush to win "right now". If they were were would have seen more trades already. I think they had money in the budget that they had been saving up the past couple years, and they spent it. They are taking a slow paced method like the Dodgers. They will just keep adding season after season until they don't have anywhere to add. This was a complete tear down, and they already basically have their lineup set and a solid bullpen. Now they just need to let the young starters develop and get into the rotation. Guys like Pearson (who still essentially hasn't had an impact after missing most of last year), SWR and Manoah are coming, and they are coming soon.

In Sept and the playoffs (if they make it) they could have all 3 plus Hatch, Dolis, Romano, Borucki and Yates in the rotation/bullpen. aka effing LOADED.

So close that I think it’s win now. Otherwise why spend 18m for one year in semien, money I still think I’d rather have spent on the rotation .

Side note - I wish we had room as
    The 26th man to spend it on Todd Frazier. I really think he would be a great veteran addition to the locker room.

Quote Originally Posted by bartron_44 View Post
    I still don't think they are in a rush to win "right now". If they were were would have seen more trades already. I think they had money in the budget that they had been saving up the past couple years, and they spent it. They are taking a slow paced method like the Dodgers. They will just keep adding season after season until they don't have anywhere to add. This was a complete tear down, and they already basically have their lineup set and a solid bullpen. Now they just need to let the young starters develop and get into the rotation. Guys like Pearson (who still essentially hasn't had an impact after missing most of last year), SWR and Manoah are coming, and they are coming soon.

In Sept and the playoffs (if they make it) they could have all 3 plus Hatch, Dolis, Romano, Borucki and Yates in the rotation/bullpen. aka effing LOADED.
    Agreed. They are still in a wait an see approach. On paper we are a playoff contender, be it for one of the 2 WC spots or even the AL East depending on NYY injuries, TB Pitching and our kids continuing to improve. With all the one year deals, it feels we are positioned by TDL to either add if we're doing well or sell if not.

I'd also like to see Tice come in as a LHRP in case Matz starts, gets injured or sucks.

Can't wait for the season to start.

I disagree. Adding a Cy Young calibre pitcher followed by the best FA on the market in consecutive off-season gives me the idea they're ready to pounce.

Making trades during this off-season makes no sense unless the deal is heavily in favour of the Jays. Considering the Pads basically liquidated their farm I'd say that makes us the playoff team with the best farm in the entire MLB. What this means is that we have the ability to make the best offer moving forward. If a team like the Cubs choses to sell mid season that puts us in a great position seeing as we have the best prospect pool out of the teams that could be interested. Yeah, Atkins can try to work a deal out for the likes of Castillo right now but if the Cubs flounder then Atkins has the prospect pool to obtain the likes of Kyle Hendricks, Anthony Rizzo, Kris Bryant and Javy Baez just to name a few. The Rockies are another team that could be selling off mid season that have some interesting names.

Atkins' patience is about to pay some massive dividends. No playoff team has a farm that's even close to the level of the one Atkins has built.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Facts can be hypothetical.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    I disagree. Adding a Cy Young calibre pitcher followed by the best FA on the market in consecutive off-season gives me the idea they're ready to pounce.

Making trades during this off-season makes no sense unless the deal is heavily in favour of the Jays. Considering the Pads basically liquidated their farm I'd say that makes us the playoff team with the best farm in the entire MLB. What this means is that we have the ability to make the best offer moving forward. If a team like the Cubs choses to sell mid season that puts us in a great position seeing as we have the best prospect pool out of the teams that could be interested. Yeah, Atkins can try to work a deal out for the likes of Castillo right now but if the Cubs flounder then Atkins has the prospect pool to obtain the likes of Kyle Hendricks, Anthony Rizzo, Kris Bryant and Javy Baez just to name a few. The Rockies are another team that could be selling off mid season that have some interesting names.

Atkins' patience is about to pay some massive dividends. No playoff team has a farm that's even close to the level of the one Atkins has built.
    TB and Miami's farms are both ranked higher than the Jays in 2021 and made the playoffs in 2020, but I get what you're trying to say.

TDL a good time to assess what we should do with the prospects. If we exceed expectations by the deadline you should go for it but if not then I would try to hold on to the farm (or get controllable players).

As of right now, MLB projects 3rd in the division (and 12th best record in the MLB) but with a rich farm. We could easily be projected to be first if we traded away the farm right now but I rather wait till the deadline given the players still need to be proven.

If we go for it at the deadline, chances we are losing at least 2 top 100 prospects (hopefully not Martin), 1of which will probably to a rental ace.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic98 View Post
    TB and Miami's farms are both ranked higher than the Jays in 2021 and made the playoffs in 2020, but I get what you're trying to say.
    Lol. But in all seriousness neither of those teams will be able to take back the salary we should be able to as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Lol. But in all seriousness neither of those teams will be able to take back the salary we should be able to as well.
    Neither are we or we would have signed someone else (Walker) recently. I think we are tapped out until the TDL unless Odorizzi decides to take a 1 year deal. Other than him, I don't see us opening whatever reserves we have until the TDL if were in position to strike. Unless someone takes a Roark or Grich in return to keep us within a budget.

We currently have just over 7M in dead money owed to Tulo (the gift that keeps on collecting) and Yamaguchi, with about 151.5M in estimated payroll.

Neither are we or we would have signed someone else (Walker) recently. I think we are tapped out until the TDL unless Odorizzi decides to take a 1 year deal. Other than him, I don't see us opening whatever reserves we have until the TDL if were in position to strike. Unless someone takes a Roark or Grich in return to keep us within a budget.

We currently have just over 7M in dead money owed to Tulo (the gift that keeps on collecting) and Yamaguchi, with about 151.5M in estimated payroll.
    I think there is money left, just their plan is to assess what the needs are and use that money during the season. There'll be lots of trade opportunities.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

What are the odds their biggest weakness is a number 2 starter??

All in confirmed. Tommy “million” milone signed.

In another universe we signed odorizzi (say 13aav) and traded for Castillo (4m in 2021. Arb next 2 years)Or snell(3/39 remaining) type instead of
    Signing ray and semien and trading for matz (or trading for chatwood)

Odorizzi and snell (26m)
    Odorizzi and Castillo (17m this year, 13 plus Castillo Arby next 2 Years)

Semien (18) and ray (8) and matz (3.5) is 29.5m this year. Zero next year and possible pick for semien.

Ryu
    Snell/Castillo
    Odorizzi
    Pearson

As front four for 3 years

Oh yeah. I’m definitely assuming they would be adding salary at the TDL if anything.

Not a fan of Odorizzi....never have been.
    I also dont think there is a world where TB trades us Blake Snell. The Reds haven't been big time sellers like we thought they would be would they traded their closer and lost Bauer, so I dont think Castillo is available either.

Pearson is here. Hatch, Kay, SWR and Manoah are coming.... If some dont start the season in the bigs. Pardinho is back after his TJ. I'm telling you, pretty soon they are going to be overflowing in quality young, cheap arms.

Not a fan of Odorizzi....never have been.
    I also dont think there is a world where TB trades us Blake Snell. The Reds haven't been big time sellers like we thought they would be would they traded their closer and lost Bauer, so I dont think Castillo is available either.

Pearson is here. Hatch, Kay, SWR and Manoah are coming.... If some dont start the season in the bigs. Pardinho is back after his TJ. I'm telling you, pretty soon they are going to be overflowing in quality young, cheap arms.
    The quality part of that comment is the key, but regardless of what we think we have - there will be a weeding out process.

Figure I will give a stab at a lineup as we are getting closer.

Springer CF
    Bichette SS
    Guerrero Jr DH
    Tellez 1B
    Hernandez RF
    Gurriel Jr LF
    Semien 2B
    Jansen C
    Biggio 3B

I am a believer in Guerrero and Tellez in a full season this year. I also like a lefty bat breaking up all our righty power.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast