Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bartron_44 View Post
    I think letting Ryu, Ray, Matz, Pearson, Roark, Hatch and Kay compete for rotation spots to start the season is enough MLB ready depth.

People keep thinking Roark is guaranteed a rotation spot, but don't be surprised if Hatch steps up and snatches that job from Roark. I think they have the arms between their rotation and bullpen to get to the TDL, and they have the resources to add a couple more weapons when they get there.

They are trying to win, but they aren't "all-in". They still have one of the biggest chip stacks at the table when trade season comes back around.
    Thornton also being given a chance to come back healthy after surgery.

JP mentioned Manoah being in the rotation by the end of the year as well (listen to Manoah's interview if you can find it, he is a confident kid, thinks this group will win the WS within a couple of years and he will be a part of it).

Quote Originally Posted by bartron_44 View Post
    I think letting Ryu, Ray, Matz, Pearson, Roark, Hatch and Kay compete for rotation spots to start the season is enough MLB ready depth.

People keep thinking Roark is guaranteed a rotation spot, but don't be surprised if Hatch steps up and snatches that job from Roark. I think they have the arms between their rotation and bullpen to get to the TDL, and they have the resources to add a couple more weapons when they get there.

They are trying to win, but they aren't "all-in". They still have one of the biggest chip stacks at the table when trade season comes back around.
    Itís enough depth to build a rotation, but Ray, Matz, Pearson, Roark, Hatch and Kay could all not be MLB caliber next season.

Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Itís enough depth to build a rotation, but Ray, Matz, Pearson, Roark, Hatch and Kay could all not be MLB caliber next season.
    Not too concerned with Roark, Ray or Matz. If either is good we can try to resign them, if not, that's about 25M we can reallocate and more than enough to pay any arb raises.

Next Season I can see one of Monoah or SWR make it to the MLB and take one of those spots leaving us hopefully to sign on TORP FA.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic98 View Post
    Not too concerned with Roark, Ray or Matz. If either is good we can try to resign them, if not, that's about 25M we can reallocate and more than enough to pay any arb raises.

Next Season I can see one of Monoah or SWR make it to the MLB and take one of those spots leaving us hopefully to sign on TORP FA.
    Yeah that would be ideal.

We have to adjust our thinking for the starters. While there are some that some could be below average in traditional roles. But what if only asked to go 4 innings?
    And as for the Thorntonís, hatch, Kay etc that could be coming out of the pen, what if they are now only asked to go 2 innings?

How much better could their performance be if this plays out this way? Will vary by pitcher of course but itís exciting .

Quote Originally Posted by wamco View Post
    We have to adjust our thinking for the starters. While there are some that some could be below average in traditional roles. But what if only asked to go 4 innings?
    And as for the Thorntonís, hatch, Kay etc that could be coming out of the pen, what if they are now only asked to go 2 innings?

How much better could their performance be if this plays out this way? Will vary by pitcher of course but itís exciting .
    Thatís a great point. And with montoyo you never know.

ryu, pearson, ray, roark are all starters easily capable going 6 innings every outing and that's not including Matz and Chatwood

So could I, but prob not with great success which was the point. Outside of ryu.

If cruising , Iím always for staying the course but I expect quick hooks this season.

I think only Ryu is safe enough to go 6 innings. I also don't think he went into the 7th except for 1 time too. The rest of the rotation is sus to go 6 innings. That's why we got those long relief.

That's something I've been thinking too. We are going the Analytics route like TB. We have implemented openers, and dabbled in 2 SPs with Roark and Shoemaker.

I could see them going with 2SP (pairs of pitchers) in some games based on matchups. Ex. Ray>Hatch, then an Matz>Chatwood, Pearson>Kay, Roark>Borucki/Merryweather. With both pairs being able to go 3-5 innings and then using Romano and Yates to finish things off. Would have us carry at least 13Ps on our 23 man roster. Will be no probs on Double headers or if they adopt a 26th player this year.

I have no expectation on Thornton this year. He's probably gone until August and should get plenty of AAA starts to fine tune his arm in case we might need him in some role in late Sept/October.

What happened to Thornton?

Quote Originally Posted by hanton View Post
    What happened to Thornton?
    Had surgery with Dr. James Andrews in Sept. Was supposed to do TJ surgery, but ended up removing loose bodies in his pitching elbow instead.

Typically you don't go to Dr. James Andrews on surgery day after all the MRIs are taken then end up leaving with just loose bodies in the elbow area. Still concerned that if they don't start him slow he will end up with TJ this year. He should get a long slow stretch if they still view him as a SP.
    Last edited by Chaotic98; 02-23-2021 at 11:56 AM.

I thought I read he was ready to go

I thought I read he was ready to go
    He might be, he's been at the Florida complex training and pitching. I'd much rather see him than Wags in a Jays uniform this season. I'm just keeping my expectations low for him as he pitched less than 6 innings last season, had elbow surgery and will take awhile to get stretched out.

His fastest way to the MLB line up might be through a RP role, but might be in ours and his best interests long term to stretch him out as a SP in AAA, and then we will have to have a bunch of injuries for him to come up, unless its a spot start in a double header which would be great for both sides..
    Last edited by Chaotic98; 02-23-2021 at 12:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic98 View Post
    He might be, he's been at the Florida complex training and pitching. I'd much rather see him than Wags in a Jays uniform this season. I'm just keeping my expectations low for him as he pitched less than 6 innings last season, had elbow surgery and will take awhile to get stretched out.

His fastest way to the MLB line up might be through a RP role, but might be in ours and his best interests long term to stretch him out as a SP in AAA, and then we will have to have a bunch of injuries for him to come up, unless its a spot start in a double header which would be great for both sides..
    https://www.sportsnet.ca/mlb/article...itching-staff/

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast