Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    This was supposed to be more of a position debate than line up debate...but whatever works..lol

There is no need to trade Grichuk because he makes 10M. They are no where near the tax threshold, and still dont have any real money committed past 2021.

Depth is a good thing people. They are one injury away (almost anywhere but C) from Grichuk playing everyday. This isn't a rebuilding team anymore that is looking to get kids at bats just to get them at bats. It's put up or shut up time, and you need viable alternatives waiting in line to create that kind of internal competition environment.

Also, I dont think they will play LGJ in RF, I just think they should with this current roster in order to get Biggio somewhere he can be good defensively. If not I think Biggio plays the UT role when everyone is healthy this year and bounces around before he becomes their long term starting 3B. He wasn't very good at 2B, and I think he will be even worse at 3B with the lack of arm strength. If he isn't going to play 2B, I think he can be an average (or better) LF and I also think LGJ can play a solid RF and use that great arm to his advantage even more in RF.

Quote Originally Posted by bartron_44 View Post
    This was supposed to be more of a position debate than line up debate...but whatever works..lol

There is no need to trade Grichuk because he makes 10M
    . They are no where near the tax threshold, and still dont have any real money committed past 2021.

Depth is a good thing people. They are one injury away (almost anywhere but C) from Grichuk playing everyday. This isn't a rebuilding team anymore that is looking to get kids at bats just to get them at bats. It's put up or shut up time, and you need viable alternatives waiting in line to create that kind of internal competition environment.

Also, I dont think they will play LGJ in RF, I just think they should with this current roster in order to get Biggio somewhere he can be good defensively. If not I think Biggio plays the UT role when everyone is healthy this year and bounces around before he becomes their long term starting 3B. He wasn't very good at 2B, and I think he will be even worse at 3B with the lack of arm strength. If he isn't going to play 2B, I think he can be an average (or better) LF and I also think LGJ can play a solid RF and use that great arm to his advantage even more in RF.
    I agree. There are 9 positions on the field, but injuries and rest days means Grichuk will play plenty. I could see him getting 120-130 games in still

We still have needs in the rotation thoigh so it kinda feels like a waste.

Quote Originally Posted by Raps18-19 Champ View Post
    This. Gotta have faith that if the offence is among the best in the league... that Atkins will go balls deep.

Iím nervous about Atkins making win now trades, but we will see.

Quote Originally Posted by pebloemer View Post
    I agree. There are 9 positions on the field, but injuries and rest days means Grichuk will play plenty. I could see him getting 120-130 games in still
    I can see him coming in later parts of games with a small lead for a defensive upgrade for Teo.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic98 View Post
    I can see him coming in later parts of games with a small lead for a defensive upgrade for Teo.
    I still don't know who's better in the field. If Springer is a 1, LGJ a 2, Grich/Teo are like 3a and 3b

Teo was recently spotted working out with Vlady in the DR. Maybe he gets better (?)

It's wasted either way. You think another team just takes on that money for a league average player in this market? I'm sure there is a number of compensation you could "send their way" or "take on" if you will. But that is an exercise in evaluating the excess "waste." It wont move the needle IMO.

It's wasted either way. You think another team just takes on that money for a league average player in this market? I'm sure there is a number of compensation you could "send their way" or "take on" if you will. But that is an exercise in evaluating the excess "waste." It wont move the needle IMO.

If you can get a similar contravt and similar player as a pitcher, Id take that. We could use another pitcher given the uncertainty on the rotation.

They arent out of 💰 though, they just don't seem eager to pay anyone else in this FA class multiple seasons. Also, as others have mentioned, he will still get plenty of AB's being essentially the 10th man.

Just think how comforting it would be for Montoyo when someone gets hurt to be able to look down the bench and see vets like Grichuk and Panik to choose from instead of rookies like Espinal and Jonathan Davis or Derek Fisher. ( Note: I actually like Davis, he just isn't proven at the dish despite his 34 PA's last year)

Not to mention how many other guys they have without much of a track record of elite MLB production at the plate like Hernandez, Tellez and Vlad they are counting on. ...and how many guys with track records of missing time.

As a GM I think it would be wise to plan for people missing time and for one or two of the 9 bats ahead of Grichuk to struggle. That way heaven heaven forbid if both happen they arent stuck pulling kids from A ball to try and help this lineup. They need to put a deep lineup on the field every single game if they want to keep pace with the Yankees, and the only way to do that over a 6 month season is to have depth in your lineup that can take some hits and not skip a beat.

If you can get a similar contravt and similar player as a pitcher, Id take that. We could use another pitcher given the uncertainty on the rotation.
    Would a "similar player" as a pitcher be any better than Roark, Ray, Matz, Hatch, Kay, Merryweather, Thornton, Chatwood, Stripling?

Grichuk has barely been above replacement level for 2 seasons. He's fine, but I don't expect much value to be had in a trade.

Would a "similar player" as a pitcher be any better than Roark, Ray, Matz, Hatch, Kay, Merryweather, Thornton, Chatwood, Stripling?

Grichuk has barely been above replacement level for 2 seasons. He's fine, but I don't expect much value to be had in a trade.
    Probably not. I was suggesting Cobb for Grich earlier, which is kinda decent as we save money.

Nathan Eovaldi? The Red Sox save money.

Think I would personally prefer having a 4th OF with pop and decent defensive ability.

Adding a meh pitcher just takes opportunity from younger players. We donít have any OF knocking on the door atm.

Iíd rather see if the offence can be 2015-ish and see if we are a piece or 2 away.
    Iíd hate to walk away from the season with a tbd feeling if for example springer misses 100 games and we are a middle of the pack offence and defence. If ANY of the OF goes down we can plug in grich and basically project that he is bringing just a little less that the player he is replacing across the board.

Not sure if I am explaining that thought clearly. I can elaborate with an example if anyone cares enough.

Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Think I would personally prefer having a 4th OF with pop and decent defensive ability.

Adding a meh pitcher just takes opportunity from younger players. We donít have any OF knocking on the door atm.

Iíd rather see if the offence can be 2015-ish and see if we are a piece or 2 away.
    Iíd hate to walk away from the season with a tbd feeling if for example springer misses 100 games and we are a middle of the pack offence and defence. If ANY of the OF goes down we can plug in grich and basically project that he is bringing just a little less that the player he is replacing across the board.

Not sure if I am explaining that thought clearly. I can elaborate with an example if anyone cares enough.
    Nope.

You explained it just fine. I'm not a fan, but at 10M Grich is a 'meh' bat that can get hot and can play average D. Injuries will happen.

Find the missing arm at the TDL if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by bartron_44 View Post
    They arent out of 💰 though, they just don't seem eager to pay anyone else in this FA class multiple seasons. Also, as others have mentioned, he will still get plenty of AB's being essentially the 10th man.

Just think how comforting it would be for Montoyo when someone gets hurt to be able to look down the bench and see vets like Grichuk and Panik to choose from instead of rookies like Espinal and Jonathan Davis or Derek Fisher. ( Note: I actually like Davis, he just isn't proven at the dish despite his 34 PA's last year)

Not to mention how many other guys they have without much of a track record of elite MLB production at the plate like Hernandez, Tellez and Vlad they are counting on. ...and how many guys with track records of missing time.

As a GM I think it would be wise to plan for people missing time and for one or two of the 9 bats ahead of Grichuk to struggle. That way heaven heaven forbid if both happen they arent stuck pulling kids from A ball to try and help this lineup. They need to put a deep lineup on the field every single game if they want to keep pace with the Yankees, and the only way to do that over a 6 month season is to have depth in your lineup that can take some hits and not skip a beat.
    Morosi touched on $$$ this morning. Says that we still have money, but likely saving it for the TDL. Jays not willing to commit any more money to 2022 yet.

I think letting Ryu, Ray, Matz, Pearson, Roark, Hatch and Kay compete for rotation spots to start the season is enough MLB ready depth.

People keep thinking Roark is guaranteed a rotation spot, but don't be surprised if Hatch steps up and snatches that job from Roark. I think they have the arms between their rotation and bullpen to get to the TDL, and they have the resources to add a couple more weapons when they get there.

They are trying to win, but they aren't "all-in". They still have one of the biggest chip stacks at the table when trade season comes back around.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast