Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

What's your starting lineup?

With an abundance of capable bats on this roster now, what do you want to see (not what you think they will do) as the "starting 9". The batting order is a whole other debate (..which can't even begin until you decide who is in the lineup), so lets just start out with each position.

SS-Semien

If you are mainly paying Semien to upgrade the defense up the middle, I think you need to let him help out as much as possible. To do that he needs to play SS. He's been a SS for years now, and is most comfortable there. I say keep him where he's comfortable. Then if he does well he will be apt to re-sign and become part of this team long term.

2B-Bichette

Bichette is a decent SS, but I think he could win multiple GG's in the AL at 2B and start in many ASG's. I think taking some pressure off him defensively will allow the bat to be even better too. That is his best tool, so that is what I want to maximize to it's fullest potential.

3B-Vlad

The key here is "opening day". I think after all the kids hard work (and the emergence of Rowdy Tellez) I think you need to let him at least fight for that position with Biggio and whomever else is in play in ST for 3B. I think he is going to show that bad week in the DR wasn't a true representation of his ability at 3B. He was better than what we saw in the error highlights 2 years go, and now he is in even better shape than he was then. ...and prob seen countless more GB's. To keep Hernandez and Tellez both in the lineup, Vladdy needs to play 3B. So that is where he starts the year for me.

1B- Tellez

He is a premium, premium left handed power bat this lineup desperately needs in it on a daily basis. Combine that with him being the best defensive 1B on this roster, and he is my "everyday 1B".

C- Jansen/Kirk

I see a 50/50 split between these young C's to keep em both fresh and on a routine.

RF- Gurriel

I know he won GG votes with his metrics in LF last year, but I think he could do even more of what makes him good in LF, in RF. He may have the best arm of all their OF's. I know it is different, but it's not like he as never played on the right side of the field.

CF- Springer

Don't need any reason here. He will be the opening day CF if he is healthy.

RF- Biggio

I had been thinking the addition of Semien may may Biggio the Util guy, but now I think they just need to find him a long term home in the outfield. They have a crowded infield already with more on the way soon enough. Due to his lack of elite arm strength, I think LF will be the best fit.

DH- Hernandez

I know they pay Grichuk twice as much money, but Hernandez is the guy I go with at DH if I am the coach of this team. I know he won a SS last year, but that just means he was a really good hitter. He has a good arm, but I don't see him winning any GG's out there any time soon. Combine that with the fact that thru 44 games last year he basically had an OPS of 1.000. He closed the season with probably his worst 5 game stretch of the year ( 2 for 19 with 1 BB) and then went just 1 for 7 in the 2 playoff games. If that guy we saw over the first 44 games is for real, he MUST hit everyday.

NOTE: Grichuk is able to DH or fill in for any of the 3 OF's. I think he could be the best 4th OF in baseball, and although expensive, gives them some real quality depth in the OF. This way you can also make a higher percentage of his ABs against LHP than when he plays everyday, which (in theory) should be a very good thing for him judging from his past splits.

Bichette SS
    Biggio 3B
    Springer CF
    Vlad 1B/DH
    Hernandez RF
    Tellez 1B/DH
    Gurriel LF
    Semien 2B
    Jansen C

That order as well but damn we have a filthy line-up.
    Vancouver Canucks
    Toronto Blue Jays
    San Francisco 49's

LGJ RF? Noooo. Don't mess with success. I agree with everything except this.

LGJ Springer Grichuk

Biggio (2B)
    Springer (CF)
    Bichette (SS)
    Vlad (DH)
    LGJ (LF)
    Teo (RF)
    Tellez (1B)
    Simien (3B)
    Jansen (C)

Quote Originally Posted by Raps18-19 Champ View Post
    Biggio (2B)
    Springer (CF)
    Bichette (SS)
    Vlad (DH)
    LGJ (LF)
    Teo (RF)
    Tellez (1B)
    Simien (3B)
    Jansen (C)
    Grichuk gets the bench?

Springer
    Biggio
    Bo
    Teo
    LGJ
    Vlad
    Tellez
    Semien
    Jansen

Quote Originally Posted by hanton View Post
    Grichuk gets the bench?
    I suspect Tellez and Grich will platoon in some ways.

Teo should drop down a bit and LGJ/Springer have an injury history so Grich will get a few more ABs.

I suspect Tellez and Grich will platoon in some ways.

Teo should drop down a bit and LGJ/Springer have an injury history so Grich will get a few more ABs.
    I don't think your team MVP and SS drops down to 6th in the order. LGJ should bat ahead of Vlad imo We have the luxury of having Grich with a .793 OPS as our back-up outfielder. Anyway you look at it, this is a deadly line-up

3B Biggio
    SS Bichette
    CF Springer
    RF Teoscar
    LF Gurriel
    1B Tellez
    2B Semien
    DH Vladdy Jr
    C Kirk
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Facts can be hypothetical.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasky05 View Post
    I don't think your team MVP and SS drops down to 6th in the order. LGJ should bat ahead of Vlad imo We have the luxury of having Grich with a .793 OPS as our back-up outfielder. Anyway you look at it, this is a deadly line-up
    He'll start off 4th but will regress. I was kinda doing my lineup by the playoffs/midseason.

Grich's OPS will probably drop. His value will only get lower as we go into the season.

He'll start off 4th but will regress. I was kinda doing my lineup by the playoffs/midseason.

Grich's OPS will probably drop. His value will only get lower as we go into the season.
    So why are you so sure Teo will regress. You realize he's had a .900+ OPS over his past 145 games. It's equally likely LGJ, Springer, and Bo regress as well. I think it's kind of a silly argument.

I'm not expecting Grick to maintain an .800 OPS, but even if he dips to .750 with 30 homer pop, he's still a pretty valuable player.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasky05 View Post
    So why are you so sure Teo will regress. You realize he's had a .900+ OPS over his past 145 games. It's equally likely LGJ, Springer, and Bo regress as well. I think it's kind of a silly argument.

I'm not expecting Grick to maintain an .800 OPS, but even if he dips to .750 with 30 homer pop, he's still a pretty valuable player.
    Juds a hunch. Teo has never had a full season of SS production. Hes been good in Aug/Sept in most his seasons. But this year, we also play April/May, where he has been average. I do think there is regression in some of the other guys as well fwiw, but Teo will regress the most.

Grich wpuld need to play a lot of games to get 30 HRs.

Springer CF
    Bo SS
    Semien 2B
    Teoscar RF
    Biggio 3B
    Gurriel LF
    Vlad 1B
    Tellez DH
    Jansen C
    Last edited by Kenny Powders; 02-14-2021 at 10:05 AM.

Juds a hunch. Teo has never had a full season of SS production. Hes been good in Aug/Sept in most his seasons. But this year, we also play April/May, where he has been average. I do think there is regression in some of the other guys as well fwiw, but Teo will regress the most.

Grich wpuld need to play a lot of games to get 30 HRs.
    I think they will make a move to clear out the log jam in the OF. Instead of paying Grichuk 10M to be a 4th OF, they should move one of the OF for a SP. Selling high on Teo is a good option but I'd say they just dump Grichuk for less then inspiring SP

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Powders View Post
    I think they will make a move to clear out the log jam in the OF. Instead of paying Grichuk 10M to be a 4th OF, they should move one of the OF for a SP. Selling high on Teo is a good option but I'd say they just dump Grichuk for less then inspiring SP
    I rather sell Teo for an ace but whichever deal comes up would be best. I think both lose value as the season goes on.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast