Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 76 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Webslinger View Post
    I don't see the yankees wasting valuable cap and roster space just to start Gardner 20-35 games as a 4th or 5th outfielder in LF and CF. We have talkman and Andujar for a reason. If they really need a better backup outfielder, David Dahl was available this winter for 2.75 million, can play all 3 outfield positions, is one year removed from being an all star and is only 26 years old. Gardner's market value at this point is just the league minimum, at best. Even Kevin Pillar only got 3.2 million AAV and that is to be a starter in CF. Right now Matt Kempt is sitting at home wondering if he'll even play in the majors again this year. I'll even take my chances digging up Scooter Gennett and putting him in LF over giving Gardner 4 million. People that say this is a great deal for the amount Gardner got clearly have not been up to speed with what's been going on in the free agent market lately. Not to mention, 4 million for a backup outfielder is a ton of money when the bullpen desperately needs to be improved! This is a completely wasteful allocation of limited resources.
    None of them play CF as well as Gardner. Why bet on Dahl to bounce back to an average player when you can simply sign the known commodity? People are really freaking out about $4M? What else should they do with it? Gardner offers defense and baserunning, pretty much exactly what you want from a backup OFer. His offense grades out pretty well too. For $4M, who cares?

If the yankees are being strategic with their spending then they've made some horribly uneven decisions this offseason. Getting DJ for 15 million a year was great. Signing Kluber and trading for Taillon was a fairly good gamble, albeit not the safest course you could take. Giving Britton 13 million and 27 million total over 2 years, right away, considering that Hal had cashman under a strict cap was bad. This happened way before he even thought he could get rid of Ottavino's 9 million dollars. If that small miracle had not happened, the yankees would have almost no money left to spend right now. But it did happen so what is the first thing they do with it? They gave Wilson 4 million and Gardner 4 million. Really?? I know Cashman and his team has more information than we do, but that just makes it even worse. They're spending like, oh, if we don't like these players we can simply release them because they're not expensive. There doesn't appear to be any thought to using that limited money to spend on either better players or to fill holes in the bullpen.

Aaron Sanchez just signed for 4 million. At that price he's a dumpster fire. I'd sooner give that money to brad peacock who will likely take 4 million or less, and have way less risk performance wise despite coming back from surgery.

Maybe Gardner wanted too much money at the time, but at 4 million, maybe it was a price that Cashman couldn't possibly pass up on for a 5th outfielder.
    Gardner has provided 10.8 WAR since the last time Aaron Sanchez was even worth a roster spot on a major league ball club. Please, just stop.

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLES3658 View Post
    Gardner has provided 10.8 WAR since the last time Aaron Sanchez was even worth a roster spot on a major league ball club. Please, just stop.
    You are acting like Gardner have a still in his prime , please stop

None of them play CF as well as Gardner. Why bet on Dahl to bounce back to an average player when you can simply sign the known commodity? People are really freaking out about $4M? What else should they do with it? Gardner offers defense and baserunning, pretty much exactly what you want from a backup OFer. His offense grades out pretty well too. For $4M, who cares?
    What a strange question. Well...lemme see, Gardner is 38 years old this year and Dahl is going to be 27. Who is more likely to bounce back after a terrible year? Hmmm

People are critical of spending 4 million on a 5th outfielder when the yankees don't have the luxury of having unlimited funds to spend this season. Even if George had been alive this would have been considered extravagant.
    Whatever they spend now is all they have to play with for the rest of the season, unless they trade away costly players from the team. This is money they could have used to shore up a glaring weaknesses in the bullpen. Using up 4 million on an insurance policy to your insurance policy is outright stupid.

I wasn't making a case for Aaron Sanchez but thanks for your input.

If the yankees are being strategic with their spending then they've made some horribly uneven decisions this offseason. Getting DJ for 15 million a year was great. Signing Kluber and trading for Taillon was a fairly good gamble, albeit not the safest course you could take. Giving Britton 13 million and 27 million total over 2 years, right away, considering that Hal had cashman under a strict cap was bad. This happened way before he even thought he could get rid of Ottavino's 9 million dollars. If that small miracle had not happened, the yankees would have almost no money left to spend right now. But it did happen so what is the first thing they do with it? They gave Wilson 4 million and Gardner 4 million. Really?? I know Cashman and his team has more information than we do, but that just makes it even worse. They're spending like, oh, if we don't like these players we can simply release them because they're not expensive. There doesn't appear to be any thought to using that limited money to spend on either better players or to fill holes in the bullpen.

Aaron Sanchez just signed for 4 million. At that price he's a dumpster fire. I'd sooner give that money to brad peacock who will likely take 4 million or less, and have way less risk performance wise despite coming back from surgery.

Maybe Gardner wanted too much money at the time, but at 4 million, maybe it was a price that Cashman couldn't possibly pass up on for a 5th outfielder.
    I've said all along that the Yankees should pay Gardner $5 million or less and he should take it, if he truly wanted to end his career here. Gardner wanted closer to $10 million, so they waited him out. So, this was pre-ordained. With a $210 million payroll, paying one legacy player out of 25 that that the organization likes for $4 million is typically a no brainer.

Paxton wanted $13 million, then came down to $11 million, then signed with his hometown Mariners at a discount for $8.5 million. It was never Gardner's $4 million, plus Wilson's $4 million vs Paxton's $8.5 million for the Yankees. Paxton wasn't giving the Yankees the same discount. Had Paxton signed for $11 - $13 million, the conversation would have been: "Why did we ever sign Paxton for that when we could have had multiple players for that money?"

I agree regarding Britton, but the team wanted to have a 2nd closer, as insurance for Chapman or whenever he needs to rest. I guess they could have not guaranteed Britton's $14 million and Britton would have opted out of his $13 million contract and taken a multi-year contract elsewhere as a closer and wouldn't make his non-political minded comments recently about a teammate. The entire league could have had Brad Hand for $10 million on waivers. If you are penny pinching, you take Hand and let Britton walk.

The problem with the budget was the order in which things needed to be done. If DJ would have accepted a shorter contract like 4 years and $80 million, or 3 years and $63 million perhaps the Yankees give it to him and there is a higher AAV and less money to go around, as well. It had to play out.

Depth sometimes is important. Signing Gardner helps Yankees in having a solid backup in CF. It also allows them to be more aggressive in trading Tauchman and/or Andujar or possibly Florial for pitching depth. I still think a trade might happen before the end of spring training.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyi View Post
    I've said all along that the Yankees should pay Gardner $5 million or less and he should take it, if he truly wanted to end his career here. Gardner wanted closer to $10 million, so they waited him out. So, this was pre-ordained. With a $210 million payroll, paying one legacy player out of 25 that that the organization likes for $4 million is typically a no brainer.

Paxton wanted $13 million, then came down to $11 million, then signed with his hometown Mariners at a discount for $8.5 million. It was never Gardner's $4 million, plus Wilson's $4 million vs Paxton's $8.5 million for the Yankees. Paxton wasn't giving the Yankees the same discount. Had Paxton signed for $11 - $13 million, the conversation would have been: "Why did we ever sign Paxton for that when we could have had multiple players for that money?"

I agree regarding Britton, but the team wanted to have a 2nd closer, as insurance for Chapman or whenever he needs to rest. I guess they could have not guaranteed Britton's $14 million and Britton would have opted out of his $13 million contract and taken a multi-year contract elsewhere as a closer and wouldn't make his non-political minded comments recently about a teammate. The entire league could have had Brad Hand for $10 million on waivers. If you are penny pinching, you take Hand and let Britton walk.

The problem with the budget was the order in which things needed to be done. If DJ would have accepted a shorter contract like 4 years and $80 million, or 3 years and $63 million perhaps the Yankees give it to him and there is a higher AAV and less money to go around, as well. It had to play out.

Depth sometimes is important. Signing Gardner helps Yankees in having a solid backup in CF. It also allows them to be more aggressive in trading Tauchman and/or Andujar or possibly Florial for pitching depth. I still think a trade might happen before the end of spring training.

Sorry man but resigning Gardner is not a no brainer . That whole long winded post and nowhere did you even give one good enough reason to even call it a good move . They have 4 other guys who already provide depth for the outfield on the 40 man roster . I really feel for Frazier , if I were him I would get my agent and if I could, I would demand to be traded . He is going to get screwed out of serious playing time now , just watch . The Yankees have 8 possibly 9 guys if you count andujar now on the roster that can play in the outfield . How much depth could a team possibly need in the outfield ?!
    Last edited by Posada20; 02-21-2021 at 07:40 AM.

Simple. Since when has a Yankee fan *****ed and moaned about $4M, particularly when it involves a home grown vet who can still run and play D better than most?
    "Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality, JFK 1963.
    "Fight for the things that you care about, but do it in a way that will lead others to join you." - Ruth Bader Ginsburg
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Einstein
    Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.---- James Baldwin

MLB offseason grades: Yankees lack urgency; Mets, Dodgers, Padres get high marks; Cubs, Red Sox underwhelm
    It's report card time for all 30 MLB teams
    By Katherine Acquavella
    Feb 19, 2021 at 1:01 pm ET

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/m...ox-underwhelm/
    "Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality, JFK 1963.
    "Fight for the things that you care about, but do it in a way that will lead others to join you." - Ruth Bader Ginsburg
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Einstein
    Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.---- James Baldwin

Gardners influence is clear, especially with Clint Frazier taking over the starting job in left field. The veteran will likely be utilized in a depth role, mitigating fatigue in the outfield and presenting a healthy alternative in case injuries arise. Skipper Aaron Boone was excited about the attention of Brett, noting his impact on the squad:

One of the things I look at is toughness, the ability to post, the ability to play through things, Boone said. The premium he puts on being ready to go each and every day. There is a blue-collar-ness to the way he goes about his business. I think that is infectious. Hes got a little bit of a chip on his shoulder that he plays with. I dont even know how old he is now, but hes got a young mans body; hes in great shape. He has aged very well. And I think youve seen him really adapt and apply information to continue to make himself in a lot of ways a better player, but certainly still a very relevant player.

First, were going to get elite defense, whether hes been in left field for us or in center field, Boone said. A guy that, even when you consider him with our lineup, hes been a guy thats hit for power. Hes been a guy that, as weve been a little bit more of a right handed dominant team, hes been a nice break in the lineup for us. Ive kind of hit him everywhere. Hes hit lead off, hes hit third. Hes hit sixth, hes hit ninth for us. And he really has thrived at different times in all of those roles and, again, with us being very right handed, hes been a guy that has given us a little bit of balance offensively on our lineup, which we like.

Gardner is still capable of producing for the Yankees:
    This past season, Gardy finished with a .223 average, five homers, and 15 RBIs. He recorded a career-high 16.5% walk ride, indicating an evergreen eye. Gardner seems to be in tiptop shape, retaining his speed and quality defense. After all, hes only two years removed from 28 homer season, indicating he might have a bit more gas left in the tank. Retaining him is a solid move, and at his price tag, its more about loyalty than anything else.

https://empiresportsmedia.com/new-yo...ing-extension/

Quote Originally Posted by Posada20 View Post
    Hal is a lair , complains about losing money and then wastes 4 mill on Gardner .

Cashman is a lair? Obviously you don't know what a lair is. LOL!!! And 4 million is chump change to them.
    The REAL DEAL Yankee fan

Is Cashman running a baseball team or a retirement home for aging yankee players? Is the fact that we have talkman and andujar not enough? Let me ask a simple question here. Why do we need to pay 4 million dollars for a 5th outfielder? A 5th outfielder job is someone you bring out of the minor leagues, like Florial, or maybe someone on the team, who can simply play the position but they're not normally asked to do so. They're an insurance policy for the insurance policy.

Once you spill the milk, to continue crying about it does nothing.
    The REAL DEAL Yankee fan

Quote Originally Posted by Posada20 View Post
    You are acting like Gardner have a still in his prime , please stop
    Those numbers were from the past four seasons so all those numbers came past his prime.

What a strange question. Well...lemme see, Gardner is 38 years old this year and Dahl is going to be 27. Who is more likely to bounce back after a terrible year? Hmmm

People are critical of spending 4 million on a 5th outfielder when the yankees don't have the luxury of having unlimited funds to spend this season. Even if George had been alive this would have been considered extravagant.
    Whatever they spend now is all they have to play with for the rest of the season, unless they trade away costly players from the team. This is money they could have used to shore up a glaring weaknesses in the bullpen. Using up 4 million on an insurance policy to your insurance policy is outright stupid.

I wasn't making a case for Aaron Sanchez but thanks for your input.
    What do you mean bounce back? Gardner doesn't need to bounce back because he is coming off his typical solid yet not spectacular year. Dahl is coming off a year with a 110 wRC+. Dahl is also not the defender that Gardner is. So even if Dahl bounces back to a wRC+ of 110(big if) then he is only matching what Gardner produced last season without the defense lol. Who is the 4th OFer? Tauchman? Gardner will be ahead of him.

What do you mean bounce back? Gardner doesn't need to bounce back because he is coming off his typical solid yet not spectacular year. Dahl is coming off a year with a 110 wRC+. Dahl is also not the defender that Gardner is. So even if Dahl bounces back to a wRC+ of 110(big if) then he is only matching what Gardner produced last season without the defense lol. Who is the 4th OFer? Tauchman? Gardner will be ahead of him.
    Yes, I would say Tauchman is the 4th OF with Gardner now the 5th.

Those numbers were from the past four seasons so all those numbers came past his prime.
    Yeah and to expect him to keep giving those numbers now is unrealistic . Especially with a deader ball .

Page 4 of 76 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast