Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 24 of 55 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    I think it's more of a they don't want this but they see the benefits if it does.

Catman makes a good point regarding the constitutionality of requiring some businesses to pay more than others, but I think it's a good compromise. I wonder if the precedent regarding how many employees a business has triggering a requirement to provide health insurance can be used to argue businesses over a certain number of employees can be required to pay a specific minimum wage?
    All that would do is make it more difficult for small businesses to keep employees uniess they pay the same wage.
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    All that would do is make it more difficult for small businesses to keep employees uniess they pay the same wage.
    Doubt it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually I think sitewolf brings up a good point.

Regardless, I like the general approach of placing higher standards on corporations, and I still like hawleys general sentiment on this topic, it's still a good jump off point imo.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by nastynice; 02-27-2021 at 10:33 PM.
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

"i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

"God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

"don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

I agree, that is a legitimate concern. What is the number that balances not hurting small businesses while also not hurting the employees with poverty level wages?
    Last edited by valade16; 02-28-2021 at 12:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    I agree, that is a legitimate concern. What is the number that balances not hurting small businesses while also not hurting the employees with poverty level wages?
    I don't know what the number is, but there should never be another 12 year gap between adjustments, whatever bill is passed should call for an annual raise.

People have this $15 number in their head because that's the number Biden used. But I've never seen an actual reason he chose that number. Moving even to $11/hr could have a significant impact on businesses in places like Mississippi where the federal minimum is their minimum and 11 would be a 50+% increase. If the federal minimum were based on a cost of living index formula, we'd always be fine and a state that didn't think so could still do what they do now and set their own higher minimum.

Why would a company doing business in California, New York, DC, New Jersey, and most of New England really care what the federal minimum wage is? There are not likely any real jobs that pay that little in those areas. Even around my area entry level jobs pay over $10/hr.

I don't know what the number is, but there should never be another 12 year gap between adjustments, whatever bill is passed should call for an annual raise.

People have this $15 number in their head because that's the number Biden used. But I've never seen an actual reason he chose that number. Moving even to $11/hr could have a significant impact on businesses in places like Mississippi where the federal minimum is their minimum and 11 would be a 50+% increase. If the federal minimum were based on a cost of living index formula, we'd always be fine and a state that didn't think so could still do what they do now and set their own higher minimum.
    Should the minimum wage be repealed? If you reduce it to $6/hr, it should be helpful to business. Right?
    Let's get embedded tweets working again!

https://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sh...5#post33780085

Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    Should the minimum wage be repealed? If you reduce it to $6/hr, it should be helpful to business. Right?
    But raising wages drastically at once has many more negative side effects for business owners than gradually raising it.

Maybe govt should run some temporary programs to help low earning businesses stay floating as wages go up.

There's ways to do it without going shock and awe on small business america.

"i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

"God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

"don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    But raising wages drastically at once has many more negative side effects for business owners than gradually raising it.

Maybe govt should run some temporary programs to help low earning businesses stay floating as wages go up.

There's ways to do it without going shock and awe on small business america.

Itís never done it in the past. Can you (or anyone) cite real evidence of this? Itís always theoretical evidence and then when you look at areas that did it you donít see anything. Seattle always gets brought up. The minimum wage increase was accompanied by a reduction in the unemployment numbers.

Put a kicker in the law that any business with fixed price contracts can raise their prices and pass it on.
    "He's getting the best job in baseball."

Bruce Bochy sent a clear message to whoever will be the Giants' next manager
    🙌
    https://bit.ly/2ndI9eG

Itís never done it in the past. Can you (or anyone) cite real evidence of this? Itís always theoretical evidence and then when you look at areas that did it you donít see anything. Seattle always gets brought up. The minimum wage increase was accompanied by a reduction in the unemployment numbers.
    I dont know what you mean by evidence but I do know numerous business owners who wouldnt really be able to deal with a change like that overnight without taking a major hit one way or another.

You really lack simple common business sense. Itís quite pathetic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by catman View Post
    Why would a company doing business in California, New York, DC, New Jersey, and most of New England really care what the federal minimum wage is? There are not likely any real jobs that pay that little in those areas. Even around my area entry level jobs pay over $10/hr.
    A majority of states have minimum wages set above, sometimes well above, the federal minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    I dont know what you mean by evidence but I do know numerous business owners who wouldnt really be able to deal with a change like that overnight without taking a major hit one way or another.
    The proposal for a $15 minimum wage does not propose an overnight increase, but a phased one over years. Even Seattleís increase was phased over several years.

Not remotely what I said....but then, you know that.
    I have never, not once, REMOTELY suggested the federal minimum should remain where it is.
    What I HAVE talked about is being cautious and systematic about HOW it is raised and what can be done to ensure the current situation NEVER happens again.

We've lost thousands of businesses over the past year, agreed?
    We have many thousands more who are barely hanging on, fair thought?
    By all means, while that is happening, let's more than double the minimum wage...if a business can't handle that, they should go down anyway (people on this forum have said...I'm not one of them)

Your comment that the negative effects haven't shown up in the past or that they're only theoretical is excessively short sighted. Firstly, most increases in state minimum wages in recent years are smaller than the one that's needed now federally. Washington state for example is now up to $13.69 but their largest increase as they've moved from $8.55 in 2009 (when the federal last moved) to now was $1.53. We need more than $1.53 for an increase. I mentioned $11.00- that would be a $3.75/hr increase in states like Georgia, Mississippi, and Idaho. And again, a raise, especially a large one, in the minimum has a 'trickle up' effect on the wages of other workers. If Jim is currently making $7.25 and John has been at the same company 2 years and got to $12/hr and suddenly Jim has to get a new $11/hr minimum and so does Joe who just got hired yesterday....how much should John get?

Again, it's not a matter of IF the federal minimum should be raised, it's a matter of the logic of HOW.
    And you can't have minimums based on company size, because that would just increase the turnover rate for small companies.

Page 24 of 55 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast