Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 55 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter_White View Post
    This bill is dead now.
    The power of Dems in control is amazing. :/

Quote Originally Posted by benny01 View Post
    So, if we adjust for our(us) dollar, you guys are roughly at $9.25-$12.50, which would be in line with most of the states that here that are off of the federal minimum.
    No worries about the grammar. A few of the provinces have annual or bi-annual increases for inflation. Think there are a couple provinces that will be going above $15 this year. The provinces that do that seems to force other provinces to raise theirs to keep in line. That doesnít appear to be what happens in the US though with 20 states (?) happy to just stick to the federal minimum.

Is there any correlation between states that stick to the federal minimum and their party affiliation?

Quote Originally Posted by Bramaca View Post
    No worries about the grammar. A few of the provinces have annual or bi-annual increases for inflation. Think there are a couple provinces that will be going above $15 this year. The provinces that do that seems to force other provinces to raise theirs to keep in line. That doesnít appear to be what happens in the US though with 20 states (?) happy to just stick to the federal minimum.

Is there any correlation between states that stick to the federal minimum and their party affiliation?
    I'd have to guess that you are right on all counts, but to be accurate I'd have to look a few things up. I'm on my out the for the day, but if someone doesn't answer this by this afternoon I will get back to you then.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    You should be able to edit your posts, I certainly can.
    I probably can, when I try to the way I used to it just deletes the post. I just need to fiddle around until I figure it out I imagine.

Itís a bad idea.

Minimum wage should be more like $20-25/hr to keep up with its original intent of keeping all workers at a decent standard of life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by benny01 View Post
    I'd have to guess that you are right on all counts, but to be accurate I'd have to look a few things up. I'm on my out the for the day, but if someone doesn't answer this by this afternoon I will get back to you then.
    I can bet that a lot of the states that are at 7.25 are red states.......but that's an improper bit of deductive reasoning IMO because a lot of these states have a high percentage of unskilled farm labor jobs and a low cost of living. So, it's not specifically a political thing.
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    Itís a bad idea.

Minimum wage should be more like $20-25/hr to keep up with its original intent of keeping all workers at a decent standard of life.
    That one lost before it was law though. By the way, in 2019 dollars that first minimum wage was $4.25 an hour which seems absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    No. But the oft stated idea behind the change is to improve the quality of the lives of the people who keep their jobs. The lost jobs is an accepted effect.
    The key for me is that it says it will lift nearly as many people out of poverty as who will lose jobs, the net wages effect will be +$300 billion to workers, and the majority of people who will lose their jobs are the young and uneducated.

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    The key for me is that it says it will lift nearly as many people out of poverty as who will lose jobs, the net wages effect will be +$300 billion to workers, and the majority of people who will lose their jobs are the young and uneducated.
    but are those numbers simply looking at the addition of dollars to existing minimum wage jobs?
    because that will not be the only wages effected...there would be a 'trickle up' effect

Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    but are those numbers simply looking at the addition of dollars to existing minimum wage jobs?
    because that will not be the only wages effected...there would be a 'trickle up' effect
    It looked at minimum wage jobs and jobs near minimum wage who would also see a bump in pay. It also noted that some other jobs would likely get increased pay beyond $15 as companies want to retain better workers by paying them above minimum wage.

Basically, the increase in minimum wages would increase worker pay by about $500 billion and the loss of jobs as a result of the increase would lose $175 billion in pay, so the net result is workers get a little over $300 more in pay.

Look at the CBO report, it's pretty comprehensive. No wishful thinking, some bleak things to go with the positives.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewersfan255 View Post
    Does it help the low wage workers if they lose their job due to the wage increase? And makes it harder for them to find a new job with the elimination of nearly 2M jobs?

1.4MM doesn't round up to 2MM, smart guy.

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    It looked at minimum wage jobs and jobs near minimum wage who would also see a bump in pay. It also noted that some other jobs would likely get increased pay beyond $15 as companies want to retain better workers by paying them above minimum wage.

Basically, the increase in minimum wages would increase worker pay by about $500 billion and the loss of jobs as a result of the increase would lose $175 billion in pay, so the net result is workers get a little over $300 more in pay.
    So, jobs already lost plus jobs lost when minimums go up plus all the new immigrants entering the country with the loosening at the border......sounds like fun! lol

So, jobs already lost plus jobs lost when minimums go up plus all the new immigrants entering the country with the loosening at the border......sounds like fun! lol
    Is this direct quote from the report?

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Iím willing to listen to both sides on this argument. I donít think an across the board increase to 15 over this time is the best correction. I donít know if it better then no correction. I do find it interesting how some posters seem so invested not increasing wages being the right root though. I mean why would you round 1.4 million to 2? If you hate ďthe libsĒ that much sorry but that is pretty ****ed up

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Page 2 of 55 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast