Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    As a Patriot fan for many years I have a gut feeling that Trubisky will be a Patriot (not saying that's a good thing).Then they'll draft a wr in the first round plus one thru free agency

Here's my plan for Pats now:

1) Release Marcus Cannon, Julian Edelman, Adrian Phillips, Beau Allen, Matt LaCosse, Dan Vitale, Akeem Spence

2) Extend an exclusive rights FA tender to FB Jakob Johnson

3) Extend a 1st round RFA tender to CB JC Jackson (but ignore the number because I'm extending him later).

4) Franchise tag K Nick Folk

5) Restructure D. McCourty's deal for max cap savings and free up some extra room.

6) Rip up Gilmore's deal and give him a new 5 year $75M deal. $20M signing bonus and then $8M/$9M/10M salaries guaranteed for 3 years. So that makes it a 3 year, $47M deal. Both of these numbers (total and 3 year cash flow) are right below the top of the CB market which I think is fair compromise for a player his age and team extending a year early. With the structure I have, this adds $4,656,250 to his cap number.

7) Rip up Hightower's last year and give him a new 3 year, $28.5M deal. It's designed to get him his $9M this yer but NE spread out the cap hit. This saves $5,945,313 on the cap so cancels out Gilmore and then some.

Onto the re-signings:

OL Joe Thuney - 5 years, $75M
    CB JC Jackson (RFA) - 4 years, $49M
    OL David Andrews - 4 years, $28M
    QB Cam Newton - 1 year, $8M
    DT Lawrence Guy - 2 years, $8M
    DB/ST Cody Davis - 2 years, $4.1M
    DB/ST Justin Bethel - 2 years, $4.1M
    DB Jason McCourty - 1 year, $2M
    WR Damiere Byrd - 1 year, $2M

Outside signings:

EDGE Leonard Floyd - 4 years, $56M
    WR Curtis Samuel - 4 years, $44M
    NT Devlin Tomlinson - 4 years, $44M
    TE Jonnu Smith - 5 years, $45M
    WR Rashard Higgins - 4 years, $25M
    RB Jamaal Williams - 2 years, $8M

I kept a spreadsheet of all those contracts and on a $180.5M projection it left NE with $8.6M to sign draft picks. Added $112.5M in commitments to the 2022 cap and $116.75M to 2023, which I think are reasonable looking at what we have signed and who we have coming up for new contracts (no one really, because team has had pretty bad drafts recently).

Won't waste time talking STs but with the players I kept we should remain elite in all phases next year.

On defense, I think the additions of Tomlinson and Floyd in the front 7 against the run, return of Hightower at LB, return of Chung at SS/LB/Slot hybrid, retention of the Gilmore/Jackson CB duo at CB, hopeful internal development of Josh Uche/Chase Winovich/Kyle Dugger hopefully returns the unit to a strong level. Even with the slop we had last year BB had us 6th in points allowed. This group should be able to be a little more aggressive IMO and play on attack more.

On offense, Cam is back. Not great. But he has a fairer shot to succeed here IMO. Samuel and Smith are YAC guys who should be able to play well in an offense built on running. The OL unit is excellent with both Thuney and Andrews brought back. Harris/Michel is a good tandem of power backs and Williams adds a good receiving element that can still run. Meyers is a good, solid WR. Higgins I think can be a solid player with more opportunity on the outside. Byrd was ok last year and now gets to take on a more appropriate role as a #4. I am not trying to say this is a good unit of offensive weapons, but I think it's definitely improved over last year and could be more effective in the ultra conservative, heavy running offensive style we played last year.

I think this sets them up well in the draft to just go get whatever they see the best talent is. If you like a QB, trade up if you can. Just draft players you think can be elite otherwise. Need high end talent, wherever it plays.
    Last edited by hugepatsfan; 02-14-2021 at 12:10 PM.

NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Being a Patriots guy as a quarterback I want either Trubisky, Wentz or Jimmy G as my quarterback and then via the Draft we move up to trade by drafting a quarterback who starts as a backup to sit behind whoever we have...then if our starter goes down or eventually ends up leaving...our young quarterback can come in

As an Eagles fan.

1. Trade Wentz and Ertz.
    2. Trade Jeffrey, DJax, Malik Jackson.
    3. IF you get value for young players like Derek Barnett and Andre Dillard I have NO problem trading them.
    4. Eagles are in cap hell so the obvious to create cap space for 2022 and beyond.
    5. Draft Chase or Smith at 6.

Quote Originally Posted by Kobe1016 View Post
    As an Eagles fan.

1. Trade Wentz and Ertz.
    2. Trade Jeffrey, DJax, Malik Jackson.
    3. IF you get value for young players like Derek Barnett and Andre Dillard I have NO problem trading them.
    4. Eagles are in cap hell so the obvious to create cap space for 2022 and beyond.
    5. Draft Chase or Smith at 6.
    I would take Wentz and Ertz on my Patriots no problem

But as far as the Eagles I would go with DeVonta

Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan
    On offense, Cam is back. Not great. But he has a fairer shot to succeed here IMO. Samuel and Smith are YAC guys who should be able to play well in an offense built on running. The OL unit is excellent with both Thuney and Andrews brought back. Harris/Michel is a good tandem of power backs and Williams adds a good receiving element that can still run. Meyers is a good, solid WR. Higgins I think can be a solid player with more opportunity on the outside. Byrd was ok last year and now gets to take on a more appropriate role as a #4. I am not trying to say this is a good unit of offensive weapons, but I think it's definitely improved over last year and could be more effective in the ultra conservative, heavy running offensive style we played last year.
    Honestly, as someone who wants to keep Samuel but doesn't see a way to do it, I think he's going to blow up as soon as he lands with a team that properly uses him. He's a YAC/gadget guy in Carolina, but dude runs some sick routes and would be great with any competent QB who can throw deep. Here's a video showing how bad his 2019 was hurt by Kyle Allen (and an injured Cam for two games). Teddy was pretty much a continuation of the same problems we had with Allen, but for $20M more.

https://twitter.com/Brickwallblitz/s...26141182251008

IMO you put Samuel with a Mahomes/Allen/Rodger type of strong arm deep passer and he's probably gonna put up insane stats. I think he could do the same with Cam if Cam maintains his deep accuracy. Samuel is a complete weapon capable of attacking from literally anywhere (deep, screens, slants, end arounds, traditional RB plays, literally any part of the field). The only issue he might have is deep catching, but honestly he hasn't seen enough well placed deep passes to really know.

BuT mUh 60% cOmPlEtion

Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef View Post
    Honestly, as someone who wants to keep Samuel but doesn't see a way to do it, I think he's going to blow up as soon as he lands with a team that properly uses him. He's a YAC/gadget guy in Carolina, but dude runs some sick routes and would be great with any competent QB who can throw deep. Here's a video showing how bad his 2019 was hurt by Kyle Allen (and an injured Cam for two games). Teddy was pretty much a continuation of the same problems we had with Allen, but for $20M more.

https://twitter.com/Brickwallblitz/s...26141182251008

IMO you put Samuel with a Mahomes/Allen/Rodger type of strong arm deep passer and he's probably gonna put up insane stats. I think he could do the same with Cam if Cam maintains his deep accuracy. Samuel is a complete weapon capable of attacking from literally anywhere (deep, screens, slants, end arounds, traditional RB plays, literally any part of the field). The only issue he might have is deep catching, but honestly he hasn't seen enough well placed deep passes to really know.
    You mentioned Cam's deep ball accuracy which is a good point. We've talked before, and even you as his biggest supporter have mentioned that short accuracy ain't his thing. But we both agree he looks better down the field.

To me, that would make Samuel a perfect target because I do think he's got some down field and intermediate ability. Especially combined with a guy like Meyers who can plan an outside/slot hybrid role. I think the two of those guys could play some rotating roles as the outside guy/slots to create favorable matchups week to weak.

But on the short accuracy point, I think NE or any other team Cam signs with is going to need a strong traditional running game but also "YAC/gadget" type plays to compensate. I don't think Cam is ever going to be efficient in that short, quick passing game so you need to manuafacture

That's why I have Samuel and TE Jonnu Smith as particularly good targets for NE if they keep Cam (or even if they don't). Both of them are YAC and gadget guys who can help create those consistent positive plays but also present some threat down the field too where Cam throws better. I think if NE makes heavy investment in the OL and adds these type of YAC additions to go with what I think is a pretty solid 1-2 punch with Harris/Michel and the running threat of Cam if he's back, I think they're set up well to have their running game function as their short passing game.

Also trying to be realistic. The top of the market WRs are probably going to lean towards destinations with better, more established QB options. And with guys like Fullers/Corey Davis/Godwin/A-Rob set to get like $17M/year+ from what I'm reading, it's not practical for NE to come in high enough over that price to entice. I've been very adamant in understanding that NE will get no discounts anymore. We'll need to pay at top of the market or even a little higher to land guys. Samuel and Smith are two guys priced in a range where I think NE can realistically come in over the top of the market on them and sell them on expanded roles. So I have them as my realistic top targets for us in the passing game.

(Rashard Higgins who I also had in my plan is a similar story, though more of a "fill a role" category than someone like Samuel or Smith who I really see possibility for "takeoff" in the role they could play in NE.)

Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    You mentioned Cam's deep ball accuracy which is a good point. We've talked before, and even you as his biggest supporter have mentioned that short accuracy ain't his thing. But we both agree he looks better down the field.

To me, that would make Samuel a perfect target because I do think he's got some down field and intermediate ability. Especially combined with a guy like Meyers who can plan an outside/slot hybrid role. I think the two of those guys could play some rotating roles as the outside guy/slots to create favorable matchups week to weak.

But on the short accuracy point, I think NE or any other team Cam signs with is going to need a strong traditional running game but also "YAC/gadget" type plays to compensate. I don't think Cam is ever going to be efficient in that short, quick passing game so you need to manuafacture

That's why I have Samuel and TE Jonnu Smith as particularly good targets for NE if they keep Cam (or even if they don't). Both of them are YAC and gadget guys who can help create those consistent positive plays but also present some threat down the field too where Cam throws better. I think if NE makes heavy investment in the OL and adds these type of YAC additions to go with what I think is a pretty solid 1-2 punch with Harris/Michel and the running threat of Cam if he's back, I think they're set up well to have their running game function as their short passing game.

Also trying to be realistic. The top of the market WRs are probably going to lean towards destinations with better, more established QB options. And with guys like Fullers/Corey Davis/Godwin/A-Rob set to get like $17M/year+ from what I'm reading, it's not practical for NE to come in high enough over that price to entice. I've been very adamant in understanding that NE will get no discounts anymore. We'll need to pay at top of the market or even a little higher to land guys. Samuel and Smith are two guys priced in a range where I think NE can realistically come in over the top of the market on them and sell them on expanded roles. So I have them as my realistic top targets for us in the passing game.

(Rashard Higgins who I also had in my plan is a similar story, though more of a "fill a role" category than someone like Samuel or Smith who I really see possibility for "takeoff" in the role they could play in NE.)
    Cams strong points were always intermediate and deep throws, but he lost his deep ball in 2018/2019 with injuries. I don't think short game should ever be the goal with Cam, but in 2018 he looked pretty damn good in a quick passing offense with CMC as a focal point. I'm not saying he's a strong short passer, but he really didn't have much in 2020 to make him look better; White missed a lot of time and was clearly effected by the tragedy with his family and Edelman was healthy for only a couple games. I think a big reason he was better in 2018 at it was his familiarity with the team.

If you're interested and haven't seen it already, Brett Kollman did a breakdown of why he thought Cam would be a great fit in NE due to his pre-snap reads and ability to dissect a defense. I don't always agree with his takes, but he's usually got some good points. He implied Cam's deep ball was his weak point, but I think he was mainly watching 2018 tape.

I would like my team not to be the laughing stock of the nfl this off-season.

Too late.

Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    I would like my team not to be the laughing stock of the nfl this off-season.

Too late.
    Nah, you're always safe with the Texans around.

Cams strong points were always intermediate and deep throws, but he lost his deep ball in 2018/2019 with injuries. I don't think short game should ever be the goal with Cam, but in 2018 he looked pretty damn good in a quick passing offense with CMC as a focal point. I'm not saying he's a strong short passer, but he really didn't have much in 2020 to make him look better; White missed a lot of time and was clearly effected by the tragedy with his family and Edelman was healthy for only a couple games. I think a big reason he was better in 2018 at it was his familiarity with the team.

If you're interested and haven't seen it already, Brett Kollman did a breakdown of why he thought Cam would be a great fit in NE due to his pre-snap reads and ability to dissect a defense. I don't always agree with his takes, but he's usually got some good points. He implied Cam's deep ball was his weak point, but I think he was mainly watching 2018 tape.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww7eu_t1lI0

I assume that is the video?

It was a really interesting breakdown. Good anylsis. I think the primary flaw though was just that the things he showed on tape were from 2018 and Cam didn't look to be that player.

He highlighted short accuracy. You watch all those short throws though, and Cam barely steps into them. It's all arm. And after the shoulder injury didn't seem like he has the arm for that anymore. I made the point before that his mechanics on short throws are sloppy. Seems like he never needed to focus on the little things like that before but now that the arm talent isn't the same he'll need to learn.

The ability to avoid the rush isn't the same. He can still be effective in short yardage situations for sure. He's still a load running through guys. But I don't see the same escape ability that he had before. Not saying he's not still an asset as a runner, but it's not the strength that it was before to the same special, elite degree.

Now, on the positive side, he talked about reading defenses and decision making. This is why I'm intrigued by a second go around. I thought Cam was pretty ineffective calling out audibles and recognizing defenses, but it was also a weird year with no offseason, on and off practices throughout the year (especially with his COVID case) and a whole new team/system. I think given a year to learn more and a closer to traditional offseason would go a long way to this and make this a strength of his again.

I don't think Cam was as bad as some people exaggerate too. I just don't see much that differentiates him from a Mariota, Trubisky, Fitzpatrick, Brissett, Dalton type right now. My hope is that somehow we can end up with Cam or one of those guys making $8-11M. I wouldn't want to invest much more than that on such an imperfect rental. Cam would be my first choise, but I see no reason to spend more on him vs landing one of those guys in that price range, which seems realistic to me.
    Last edited by hugepatsfan; 02-18-2021 at 01:57 PM.

Nah, you're always safe with the Texans around.
    Eagles said, hold my IPA.

Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww7eu_t1lI0

I assume that is the video?

It was a really interesting breakdown. Good anylsis. I think the primary flaw though was just that the things he showed on tape were from 2018 and Cam didn't look to be that player.

He highlighted short accuracy. You watch all those short throws though, and Cam barely steps into them. It's all arm. And after the shoulder injury didn't seem like he has the arm for that anymore. I made the point before that his mechanics on short throws are sloppy. Seems like he never needed to focus on the little things like that before but now that the arm talent isn't the same he'll need to learn.

The ability to avoid the rush isn't the same. He can still be effective in short yardage situations for sure. He's still a load running through guys. But I don't see the same escape ability that he had before. Not saying he's not still an asset as a runner, but it's not the strength that it was before to the same special, elite degree.

Now, on the positive side, he talked about reading defenses and decision making. This is why I'm intrigued by a second go around. I thought Cam was pretty ineffective calling out audibles and recognizing defenses, but it was also a weird year with no offseason, on and off practices throughout the year (especially with his COVID case) and a whole new team/system. I think given a year to learn more and a closer to traditional offseason would go a long way to this and make this a strength of his again.

I don't think Cam was as bad as some people exaggerate too. I just don't see much that differentiates him from a Mariota, Trubisky, Fitzpatrick, Brissett, Dalton type right now. My hope is that somehow we can end up with Cam or one of those guys making $8-11M. I wouldn't want to invest much more than that on such an imperfect rental. Cam would be my first choise, but I see no reason to spend more on him vs landing one of those guys in that price range, which seems realistic to me.
    Yeah, one thing I'll never argue for Cam is mechanics. They're straight up trash and always have been, but I will argue mechanics are overrated. When you're under pressure 30% of your drop backs, you're gonna have to throw with bad mechanics. I think his mechanics have always been an issue for short passes, but I have reason to explain how he overcame it in 2018 except for the fact that he had a good YAC weapon and Norv Turner honestly did a great job of fitting his skill set. If the Pats resign him with the intention of running the same situational plays (quick passes, half assed screens, and runs every 1st and 2nd down) then I don't expect to see much change unless there's significantly better weapons.

I think his ability to evade the rush is still there. Idk if he had some issues shaking rust at times or if the fact that most defenses were able to commit extra defenders to blitz + containment due to lack of receiving threats, but he flashed it at times. I'm sure there's others, but here's a few that were easy to find:

https://www.patriots.com/video/cam-n...w-to-ryan-izzo

https://mobile.twitter.com/NFL/statu...5%2Fframe.html

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-gMAA5yogzg

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ElUODFUITkc

I also feel like in addition to the "HiS ArM iZ ShOt!!!" narratives that I see constantly from a lot of Pats fans, there's plenty who say the same about his athleticism, but he showed he can still break off huge back breaking runs, not that that should really be expected of him at this stage:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vrEEkNsebXI

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sVhuanKsaNs

I'm not sure what Cam's camp is going to want on a deal this year, maybe he takes another 1 year deal with bigger incentives, maybe he tries to push for a decent 2 year deal with low guarantees. I honestly dont want to see him return to NE just to get misused, but unfortunately it's probably in his best interest to try to return so he's not trying to learn a 4th offense in his last 4 healthy seasons. I imagine NE will attempt to make a trade/draft a different QB first, but if they can't get what they want I bet they'll sign Cam a week before FA so they can try to persuade FA WRs/TEs by at least having a starter in place. I'm not sure what WRs will still view Cam as a guy they go out of their way to play with, but I guarantee guys won't be feeling playing on a team with no starter in place.

Yeah, one thing I'll never argue for Cam is mechanics. They're straight up trash and always have been, but I will argue mechanics are overrated. When you're under pressure 30% of your drop backs, you're gonna have to throw with bad mechanics. I think his mechanics have always been an issue for short passes, but I have reason to explain how he overcame it in 2018 except for the fact that he had a good YAC weapon and Norv Turner honestly did a great job of fitting his skill set. If the Pats resign him with the intention of running the same situational plays (quick passes, half assed screens, and runs every 1st and 2nd down) then I don't expect to see much change unless there's significantly better weapons.

I think his ability to evade the rush is still there. Idk if he had some issues shaking rust at times or if the fact that most defenses were able to commit extra defenders to blitz + containment due to lack of receiving threats, but he flashed it at times. I'm sure there's others, but here's a few that were easy to find:

https://www.patriots.com/video/cam-n...w-to-ryan-izzo

https://mobile.twitter.com/NFL/statu...5%2Fframe.html

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-gMAA5yogzg

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ElUODFUITkc

I also feel like in addition to the "HiS ArM iZ ShOt!!!" narratives that I see constantly from a lot of Pats fans, there's plenty who say the same about his athleticism, but he showed he can still break off huge back breaking runs, not that that should really be expected of him at this stage:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vrEEkNsebXI

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sVhuanKsaNs

I'm not sure what Cam's camp is going to want on a deal this year, maybe he takes another 1 year deal with bigger incentives, maybe he tries to push for a decent 2 year deal with low guarantees. I honestly dont want to see him return to NE just to get misused, but unfortunately it's probably in his best interest to try to return so he's not trying to learn a 4th offense in his last 4 healthy seasons. I imagine NE will attempt to make a trade/draft a different QB first, but if they can't get what they want I bet they'll sign Cam a week before FA so they can try to persuade FA WRs/TEs by at least having a starter in place. I'm not sure what WRs will still view Cam as a guy they go out of their way to play with, but I guarantee guys won't be feeling playing on a team with no starter in place.
    I'm not talking mechanics in pressure situations. I'm talking about when he just drops backs and throws before the rush is even a factor. That Kollman video first half was mainly him getting the ball, 3 step drop, then bam - decisive read and throw. But they were mostly all arm throws. No mechanics. Which was fine because he was accurate. But that was 2018. Now in 2020, post shoulder surgery, didn't look to me like he can be accurate throwing like that. Arm talent isn't there like it was before. On deep/intermediate throws he seemed to remember his mechanics better and thus was more effective. But deep/intermediate throws are by definition lower percentage and it's not like Cam is really elite at them or anything.

I definitely didn't mean to imply his mobility still isn't good. I just don't think it's what it once was, which is obviously to be expected considering the physical toll on him all those years of poor OL play and his general aggression running the ball, not to mention injuries.

You keep talking about being "misused" and I get he's your favorite player, but I think reality is going to set in for you that he's just not good anymore. He's always had some weaknesses in his game that he never corrected throughout his career but got by because he had elite arm talent and mobility. The arm talent just doesn't seem to be there anymore to make up for his poor mechanics to a great degree. And while the mobility is still good, it's definitely not what it once was. You can't just erode the things that makes a player great and him still be great.

I just think the days of him being a QB anyone feels good about are done. He's journeyman/stop gap stage of his career if he wants to keep playing, IMO. A guy you sign after all other options are exhausted and you either don't have a young guy to develop or aren't yet willing to turn the reins over to someone right away. And there will always be a place for those guys. I keep advocating for a return so obviously I respect what he can still bring to some degree. I think you're just holding out hope for a level of play that I just don't see as realistic for him at this point.

I do agree NE would want to bring him back ahead of FA to at least lock their guy in. Mariota could be had via trade which would be locked into place ahead of time, even if not formally executed. And then Brissett technically couldn't be locked in before FA but considering his familiarity with the system and starting opportunity that wouldn't figure to be available elsewhere, I think he could be a lightening quick deal if NE went that route. I have those as the 3 options most likely to be in place when we start team building (excuse me while I throw up).

Obviously none of those guys will be a draw to anyone but players sign with crap teams and QB situations every year. I just continue to reiterate that NE is going to have to pay top dollar. They're going to have to pay $11M to that guy who maybe they think is "worth" $8M. That's just how you have to do it when you're this caliber of team. It's why I don't have us as realistic players for the absolute top FA guys on offense.

Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan
    I'm not talking mechanics in pressure situations. I'm talking about when he just drops backs and throws before the rush is even a factor. That Kollman video first half was mainly him getting the ball, 3 step drop, then bam - decisive read and throw. But they were mostly all arm throws. No mechanics. Which was fine because he was accurate. But that was 2018. Now in 2020, post shoulder surgery, didn't look to me like he can be accurate throwing like that. Arm talent isn't there like it was before. On deep/intermediate throws he seemed to remember his mechanics better and thus was more effective. But deep/intermediate throws are by definition lower percentage and it's not like Cam is really elite at them or anything.
    I agree, he's had trash mechanics his entire career regardless of the situation. Supposedly after the shoulder surgery in 2016 that's when he started trying to utilize better mechanics. Maybe it was just clicking well in 2018. But I think people overlook how bad his mechanics are even when he's dropping dimes. Here's examples from this year:

Against SEA, Throws a perfect 50+ yard pass while drifting his body laterally with his legs perpindicular to the LOS. That's entirely arm and it honestly couldn't have been much better. He had several big throws in this game that highlights his terrible footwork.

Here's a 50 yard TD against HOU where he has great protection, steps to his right a bit, but barely does anything with his feet. Pass still is damn good and Byrd does a nice job not dropping it.

Here's his season highlight video that covers most of his deep passes. You can see when he does use proper mechanics it's usually a very nice throwing motion, but even when he uses the shittiest mechanics you can imagine he still is capable of slinging the ball anywhere. The sideline pass to Meyers in the HOU game was ****ing nuts and easily shows his arm is still an above average NFL arm. He obviously doesn't have the Mahomes/Rodgers level cannon he used to have, but 2 shoulder surgeries will do that. I will say, I thought in week 17 he looked much better with his mechanics and putting touch on his throws. I attribute most of that to playing a team that's closer to the talent level of the Pats than anything.

You keep talking about being "misused" and I get he's your favorite player, but I think reality is going to set in for you that he's just not good anymore. He's always had some weaknesses in his game that he never corrected throughout his career but got by because he had elite arm talent and mobility. The arm talent just doesn't seem to be there anymore to make up for his poor mechanics to a great degree. And while the mobility is still good, it's definitely not what it once was. You can't just erode the things that makes a player great and him still be great.

I just think the days of him being a QB anyone feels good about are done. He's journeyman/stop gap stage of his career if he wants to keep playing, IMO. A guy you sign after all other options are exhausted and you either don't have a young guy to develop or aren't yet willing to turn the reins over to someone right away. And there will always be a place for those guys. I keep advocating for a return so obviously I respect what he can still bring to some degree. I think you're just holding out hope for a level of play that I just don't see as realistic for him at this point.
    Obviously I'm a Cam homer, but I'm not oblivious. I can still see higher potential in him than others seem to, but I'm not completely crazy. He's 31 so I don't expect him to ever be that same 2011-2018 Cam that carries a dumpster fire, but he's got the tools to succeed with an average offense, but McD absolutely did misuse him most of the season. The first few weeks he used Cam like he was some sort of cheat code bulldozer; ran him nearly 20 times against MIA and then apparently rolled into Seattle with "Cam plows over the defense" as his only redzone play. By midseason he was so focused on the running game that it seemed Cam rarely ever got to throw in a non-obvious passing situation; it was seemingly always 3rd and long when Cam got to throw anything that wasn't a ****** screen. And I don't know how anyone could watch the LAR/BUF games as McD called like 25 combined ****ing pass plays for him in blowouts, and several people did breakdowns of those games showing that Cam basically didn't have more than a few bad throws but the offense was just straight up outmatched.

If McD thinks the best way to use Cam is to just be a running threat and hand the ball off on early downs, then there's really no reason to sign Cam over the other guys you mentioned.

BuT mUh 60% cOmPlEtion

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast