Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    72,916

    Jets Sign DE Carl Lawson

    https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/...580512256?s=21

    https://twitter.com/pff/status/1371626093162139652?s=21

    Another great signing! Like Davis, he is young and will only be 26 this season. One of the most undervalued EDGE on the market.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    72,916
    Five 2021 free agent edge defenders who could be misvalued based on 2020 sack totals

    UNDERVALUED

    EDGE CARL LAWSON, CINCINNATI BENGALS

    There is an argument to be made that Lawson is the best pure pass rusher to hit free agency this offseason. Since entering the league in 2017, his pass-rush grade on true pass-rush sets ranks in the 96th percentile among all edge defenders ó firmly in elite territory. Injuries and inconsistent play have limited his opportunities to begin his career, but he finished the 2020 season with a career-high 723 defensive snaps and 84.9 pass-rushing grade. The arrow is pointing up.

    Despite finishing the season with only 5.5 sacks, few pass rushers were able to consistently beat their blocks and pressure opposing quarterbacks more often than Lawson. He was one of just five qualifying edge defenders to record a pass-rush win rate of 20% or higher, joining Joey Bosa, T.J. Watt, Khalil Mack and Jerry Hughes. On top of that, his 64 pressures were fourth-most at the position.

    Lawsonís stretch to close the season, in particular, was impressive. Including the game against Pittsburgh above, he recorded at least five pressures in each of the Bengalsí final four games.

    Heís not going to provide much as a run defender, but his limited playing time and depressed sack totals could lead to a team getting a steal this offseason.
    https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2021-fr...20-sack-totals

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Posts
    37,906
    This was a steal. This is a great signing. He will get his and in the 4-3, he is going to open up sack chances for Q



    Ignorance is bliss

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    6,074
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    This was a steal. This is a great signing. He will get his and in the 4-3, he is going to open up sack chances for Q
    I donít know about a steal, he got quite the contract

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Posts
    37,906
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
    I donít know about a steal, he got quite the contract
    I think he will dramatically change the D.



    Ignorance is bliss

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    6,074
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    I think he will dramatically change the D.
    Thereís a lot to be excited about
    But I canít get on board with a steal at the current moment

    Now if he turns into a 12+ sack guy and disrupter, then itís a steal
    If heís 5 sacks and very disruptive...meh
    8-11 sacks, market rate
    Less than 8 sacks and not turning QW into an AllPro...overpaid

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Posts
    37,906
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
    Thereís a lot to be excited about
    But I canít get on board with a steal at the current moment

    Now if he turns into a 12+ sack guy and disrupter, then itís a steal
    If heís 5 sacks and very disruptive...meh
    8-11 sacks, market rate
    Less than 8 sacks and not turning QW into an AllPro...overpaid
    Agreed. I think if he gets 7-9 sacks and Q gets the same and they are disruptive as hell, he's well worth it. The deal is also very team friendly from my understanding. I think only 2 years of guarantee



    Ignorance is bliss

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    72,916

    Jets Sign DE Carl Lawson

    Pressure and disruption will always be more important than raw sack totals. But the sacks should accumulate with the talent on this line. Definitely excited about moving to the 4-3. We just havenít generated enough pressure out of the 3-4 for years.

    If Lawson was a big sack guy, he would have gotten more money for sure. His age makes this attractive.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Southern CAL
    Posts
    5,732
    Pressures donít translate to success, Leonard Williams was bashed on these forums and he was getting a ton of QB pressure.

    We want sacks, give me the damn sacks!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


    #Hernandezing


    Quote Originally Posted by bwallstreet View Post
    haha delusional
    Someone underestimated the jets!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    72,916
    Quote Originally Posted by scopepts View Post
    Pressures donít translate to success, Leonard Williams was bashed on these forums and he was getting a ton of QB pressure.

    We want sacks, give me the damn sacks!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hard to compare Williams to Lawson. Williams was not an edge defender. Lawson was Top 5 in pressures last season and was in elite company in pass-rush win rate for edge defenders. Sack totals can be fluky and not necessarily reflective of good performance.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    In your Mind
    Posts
    10,765
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    Pressure and disruption will always be more important than raw sack totals. But the sacks should accumulate with the talent on this line. Definitely excited about moving to the 4-3. We just havenít generated enough pressure out of the 3-4 for years.

    If Lawson was a big sack guy, he would have gotten more money for sure. His age makes this attractive.
    Sacks are great but if a DLman lives in the backfield all game altering plays, that is every bit as impactful.

    Quinnen should benefit, but we still need another DE, though I'm hopeful of Huff.

    Patrick Jones! Always seems to play his way to the QB, ask Trevor Lawrence.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    72,916
    Quote Originally Posted by MrX27 View Post
    Sacks are great but if a DLman lives in the backfield all game altering plays, that is every bit as impactful.

    Quinnen should benefit, but we still need another DE, though I'm hopeful of Huff.

    Patrick Jones! Always seems to play his way to the QB, ask Trevor Lawrence.
    Agreed.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    72,916
    YouTube videos of Robert Saleh helped bring Carl Lawson to Jets: 'It felt like he was talking to me'

    The Jets introduced defensive end Carl Lawson Thursday after the two sides came to an agreement on a three-year, $45 million deal this week.

    Lawson immediately looked like he fit right into what the Jets are trying to build, starting his Zoom call with reporters by praising new Jets head coach Robert Saleh and tapping him as one of the reasons why he wanted to come to New York.

    "I had looked up some stuff on YouTube about coach Saleh," Lawson said. "I've heard him throughout the league and I saw he took the job here. I looked at some of his interviews and I just came away with how impressive he was, the message that he was preaching, and even a video where it felt like he was talking to me.


    "...He's going to do wonders for my career. ...When you've got a guy that passionate about it, it makes you want to come in here and work each and every single day, and makes you want to come in here and build a culture."

    Lawson added that he also looked at this defense and the scheme and felt like it would be a perfect fit.

    "There was availability at the [DE] spot, I was like 'wow,' I was thinking about that scheme, that perfectly fits my skill set," he said.

    The four-year vet said the fact that his mother is from New Jersey and that his father grew up in New York, as well, were some of the "millions of other things that attracted" him to the Jets.

    "This moment is just great man. ...I'm in an organization that really wants me to come in here and thrive, my family is proud of me, it's just a great day," Lawson said with a huge smile across his face.

    "I'm excited to play here, I'm excited to be a Jet."
    https://sny.tv/articles/youtube-vide...talking-to-me-

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    6,074
    I think the $45M was speaking to him...but nice PR spin

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Posts
    37,906
    He sounds like he's dying to say,

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBaYVo89mmY



    Ignorance is bliss

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •