Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Packers Sign Joe Barry to be New Defensive Coordinator

The Green Bay Packers have hired Joe Barry as their next defensive coordinator.

Barry was one of nine known candidates for the position and technically comes to the Packers by way of the Los Angeles Chargers. Heís only been with the Chargers for a little over two weeks though, having joined the team as a member of Brandon Staleyís staff when Staley was hired as the teamís head coach.

Prior to that, Barry had been a member of the Los Angeles Ramsí staff, serving under Staley as the teamís linebackers coach while also working as the Ramsí assistant head coach.

Barry has also previously worked as a defensive coordinator, working in that capacity for the Lions from 2007-08 and for the Washington Football Team from 2015-16. His teams were unimpressive during both his stints as a coordinator: heís never led a defense that finished ranked better than 28th in the league in yards allowed or higher than 17th in scoring.

However, Barry is probably in a better situation talent-wise than heís ever been before. Between Jaire Alexander, Kenny Clark, ZaíDarius Smith, Darnell Savage, and Rashan Gary, the Packers have an exciting and talented core and, under the right guidance, could blossom into a very promising unit.

The news of the Packersí selection was first reported by ESPNís Rob Demovsky.

Barryís relationship with Sean McVay and Brandon Staley ó regarded as some of the brightest in the business ó also speaks well to his abilities. Even if he hasnít necessarily shined bright in big opportunities before, two well-regarded coaches have wanted to have him around ó though it should be noted that McVay passed over him twice when selecting a defensive coordinator. Perhaps the third time will be the charm. The Packers are counting on it.
    https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2...ve-coordinator

what say ye packer nation?

i posted my thoughts last night in Offseason 2021 Thread. to sum up, mehhhhh. i was hoping for Wade Phillips who has done wonders with the 3-4. i'm not sure Barry can get an average player better? we have lots of those on D. i think they ran a 4-3 in L.A. so maybe that means a switch in schemes? i want to be proved wrong in my gut reaction.

Barry can run a 3-4 but learned in a Tampa 2. Given the personnel on defense and his familiarity with both bases it seems unlikely Barry would shift to a 4-3 aleast right away. Maybe we see a few Tampa 2 esque sub packages.

Overall I dont hate the hire, Barry has been shafted for talent in both DC gigs. He actually looks like a great fit for this defense. He's aggressive and energetic. I fully expect them to add personnel too help him take over as well. He's know as a brilliant mind.

His previous runs are almost irrelevant IMO he was given not talent and no time. He's going to have better talent and the luxury to be a bit more aggressive knowing there is a stellar offense on the other side.

Iím not the most educated football fan (nor do I pretend to be)

So a guy like this being being named DC means very little to me. I try to stay positive but Iíve seen a lot of negative comments about the hiring on social media, prob mostly from fans like myself with somewhat a lack of true knowledge.

Anyway with that said and reading he was a LBs coach recently with the Rams, and the success Leonard Floyd seemed to have off the edge this season and maybe because my fantasy football leagues use defensive players, but I remember ILB Micah Kiser playing really well early in the year before being placed on IR and then Troy Reeder steps up and played well. So should that make fans be a bit more confident with Barry?

Quote Originally Posted by MFNkingAC View Post
    Iím not the most educated football fan (nor do I pretend to be)

So a guy like this being being named DC means very little to me. I try to stay positive but Iíve seen a lot of negative comments about the hiring on social media, prob mostly from fans like myself with somewhat a lack of true knowledge.

Anyway with that said and reading he was a LBs coach recently with the Rams, and the success Leonard Floyd seemed to have off the edge this season and maybe because my fantasy football leagues use defensive players, but I remember ILB Micah Kiser playing really well early in the year before being placed on IR and then Troy Reeder steps up and played well. So should that make fans be a bit more confident with Barry?
    Yeah it's hard to say how good he is or isn't. No question a great coach atleast for a position coach. A lot of folks are too caught up in his DC experience, but his DC experience is very hard to say how capable or incapable of doing the job.

He has been very successful as a position coach. That should be a plus, but at the same time anyone who likes the hire or not the reality is we will have to wait and see the on field product before assessing this hire because we just don't know yet.

I think situation, fit and a million other things go into being a successful coordinator that it's so hard to say who's "good" and who isn't. We hired lafluer as the HC coming off one year as a pretty underwhelming play caller and he's a been great. Mike Mccarthy was the OC for one of the worst offenses in football before we brought him over. Both guys made NFC championships pretty quickly.

DC is the same. From all accounts, Barry is personable, aggressive and energetic. Maybe that's exactly what we need. Maybe it isnt. His 2 previous stints as a DC didn't go well. But he didn't have a ton of talent. It's also possible he's learned something since then, or that the packers personnel will fit better than his previous stops.

That being said, one of the of the biggest dangers after losing two straight NFC champ games, and especially after losing a heart breaker where it feels like you were the better team, is a hangover type season. Hopefully if he really is super energetic, that can help keep the energy up in the locker room. So I think he's the type of personality that could help. None of that matters if he sucks as a DC, but it could help.

You'll hear a ton of opinions,but predicting coaching and coordinator success is so tough. Well find out next year, but everything else is a guess.

Iím underwhelmed, but I felt that way about lefleur too and heís worked out well. Just gotta watch and let it play out.

Packers made the signing official.

the rumor mills say Leonhard was offered the job and turned it down, Chris Harris (WFT's DB Coach) was rumored as being the second choice after Barry and they went with Barry over both Harris and Evro because of experience.

Wonder if we'll have a bunch of changes to the staff. I have to imagine there's at least a few changes. Would be a bit weird to bring in a new DC and say you have to work with all the previous positional coaches. That being said, I hope we keep gray. Not sure if he's the reason or not, but Amos had a good year and savage seemed to take a jump. Jaire was awesome as well. So I'd want to hold onto him.

I can't see too many major changes. I'm sure there will be some changes. Kirk Olivadotti I think was a coach under Barry doesn't seem likely to go anywhere. Jerry Gray from my understanding was really a LaFleur hire. Hopefully, there is no ill will because he wasn't hired for the DC spot. However, from a professional perspective if Gray gets another stud opposite of Alexander it's going to look really good for his chances to get another DC gig with the rise of Alexander, Savage, and fill in the blank under his watch. I don't see too many other places where he is going to get the recognition that comes with a contender and the talent pool to look good. Of most of our coaches, they don't seem like they would be poor fits for Barry's system.

I'm also hoping they maintain Mike Smith. The guy is doing excellent work. From a few things I've seen I don't think most think there will be a minimal transition with the staff. I can't see why Barry wouldn't want Smith to stay on staff. If Smith is being replaced I find it more likely it's Smith wanting to move on.

Unless any assistant coaches chose to leave the organization, the Packers should need to make only a few minor coaching hires to fill out their staff for 2021. Drayton needs to name a special teams assistant to fill his old position. The team has seen three individuals leave for jobs with other teams: offensive analyst Butch Barry, offensive quality control coach Kevin Koger, and defensive QC coach Christian Parker.
    I think there are a lot of layers to the onion when hiring Barry. I know the experience has been cited, but perhaps another now that the dust from the weekend is clearing too I would argue once Leonhard was out. One major difference between Barry and the other two runner-ups Evero/Harris I'm fairly certain you don't have a chance to keep a guy like Jerry Gray. Leonhard being a Pettine guy likely is able to keep many of the holdovers.

To be honest I think the difference between Harris and Barry came down to not switching the base defense. Almost certain Harris comes with a 4-3 that Rivera runs and he primarily played under. You're almost resetting the whole system. Him being the runner up speaks volume to how impressive he was. It would be both a coaching overhaul and a scheme overhaul. Given the need to win now perhaps such a shift would have been too much.

Harris and Leonhard, I think both always had a leg up over Evero being former players have more connections to fill out a staff than Evero would.

Though I can't prove it I wonder how much keeping certain staff may have played into hiring Barry over Evero for example. Bring in Evero you may have issues filling out a defensive staff. If there's a desire to keep some coaches Joe Barry is far more likely to appeal to some existing coaches than Evero. Barry's been around the block and has worked with a few of the coordinators or has existing connections to some of the coordinators.