Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Which team is in greater danger of missing the playoffs?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dallas Mavericks

3 75.00%
  • Miami Heat

1 25.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Which team is in greater danger of missing the playoffs: Dallas or Miami?

We're more than a quarter of the way into the season and two teams stand out as clear frontrunners for biggest disappointment of the year: the Mavericks and the Heat.

They both have legitimate excuses for their struggles. Butler's played in only eight of Miami's 20 games, and Herro's missed 7-8 himself. Similarly, Porzingis has played in fewer than half of the Mavs' games. But most teams this season have had to deal with COVID-19 challenges or injury concerns, so I think their poor play goes beyond that.

Both teams are back to relative health and haven't dug holes so deep they can't recover. But even at basically full health, they both lost tonight. Miami's got one win in their last seven, and it was a one-point squeaker against the Kings. Dallas has lost six straight.

Neither team is anywhere near where anyone expected them to be at this point in the season, as both squads were considered legit contenders in their respective conferences before the season. So, I pose the question, which team is in greater danger of missing out on the playoffs, and why? And, gun to your head, are you convinced both teams still get in with 70% of the season still left to play?

Dallas. Miami just needs James Butler to be healthy. He hasn't even played in 50% of their games this year. Dallas has just been bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Facts can be hypothetical.

Theres gonna be a mad scramble for power but I think the NBA was wise to adopt a play-in qualifier, plenty of time to right the wrong and land at least one of those spots for both these teams.

In the off-season I heard Zach Lowe mention some Milwaukee execs were hoping to be around 12-8 thru the first 20 games of the season and how off that sounded to him for a team not used to losing that much in months of play but I think Im understanding the thought process right now. I dont think teams are going full bore just yet

Even with Butler out a ton of games, this HEAT team is flawed. They needed a PG but choose not to get one. As a result they're handling by committee and leading the league in turnovers.

Add to that, they just don't have that defensive stretch 4 which is really missing.

I can still see Miami in the playoff hunt and breaking .500 by the 40 game mark, but that's if absolutely no more injuries or Covid-19 protocols happen (which is unlikely).

Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    We're more than a quarter of the way into the season and two teams stand out as clear frontrunners for biggest disappointment of the year: the Mavericks and the Heat.

They both have legitimate excuses for their struggles. Butler's played in only eight of Miami's 20 games, and Herro's missed 7-8 himself. Similarly, Porzingis has played in fewer than half of the Mavs' games. But most teams this season have had to deal with COVID-19 challenges or injury concerns, so I think their poor play goes beyond that.

Both teams are back to relative health and haven't dug holes so deep they can't recover. But even at basically full health, they both lost tonight. Miami's got one win in their last seven, and it was a one-point squeaker against the Kings. Dallas has lost six straight.

Neither team is anywhere near where anyone expected them to be at this point in the season, as both squads were considered legit contenders in their respective conferences before the season. So, I pose the question, which team is in greater danger of missing out on the playoffs, and why? And, gun to your head, are you convinced both teams still get in with 70% of the season still left to play?
    dont want to hear the excuse crap either... the heat were said to have so much depth etc and a team like the sixers had to play with like 7 dudes and then 8 dudes for like 5 games and we havent had joel for 5 games this season. Heat were never a finals team to begin with but they have the luxury of the final 2 spots in the east so they will def make the playoffs... dallas is ****ed.

Quote Originally Posted by beasted86 View Post
    Even with Butler out a ton of games, this HEAT team is flawed. They needed a PG but choose not to get one. As a result they're handling by committee and leading the league in turnovers.

Add to that, they just don't have that defensive stretch 4 which is really missing.

I can still see Miami in the playoff hunt and breaking .500 by the 40 game mark, but that's if absolutely no more injuries or Covid-19 protocols happen (which is unlikely).
    you can still get lowry... not even kidding he would be perfect on your team

If I absolutely had to pick, I'd say the Mavs are more likely to miss a top 10 seed in their conference. I only say this, because I think there's a lot of fool's gold out East. I think Miami can easily snag a top 10 seed in the East before the end of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by NBA all the way View Post
    If I absolutely had to pick, I'd say the Mavs are more likely to miss a top 10 seed in their conference. I only say this, because I think there's a lot of fool's gold out East. I think Miami can easily snag a top 10 seed in the East before the end of the season.
    Heh, I was going to use a similar analogy for the Mavs but talk about their players. THJ, Burke, DFS, WCS were all awesome last year but they were more the exception than the average play for them.

Although I heard Tim Legler say something yesterday that's a little shocking when you hear it but then it starts to make sense:
    Luka has a touch of Harden in him that Luka plays at Luka's speed. He's been taking the ball up real slow, and it allows defenses to get set up and key in on certain things. He's not a good enough shooter to slow walk it and be a threat the second he crosses half court. Legs thinks what would help Luka is getting back to pushing it and playing at speed. Even though Luka is not an elite athlete, his ability to play faster than he is and create chaos by pushing your defense to react before it's set is whats his difference maker.

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    Heh, I was going to use a similar analogy for the Mavs but talk about their players. THJ, Burke, DFS, WCS were all awesome last year but they were more the exception than the average play for them.

Although I heard Tim Legler say something yesterday that's a little shocking when you hear it but then it starts to make sense:
    Luka has a touch of Harden in him that Luka plays at Luka's speed. He's been taking the ball up real slow, and it allows defenses to get set up and key in on certain things. He's not a good enough shooter to slow walk it and be a threat the second he crosses half court. Legs thinks what would help Luka is getting back to pushing it and playing at speed. Even though Luka is not an elite athlete, his ability to play faster than he is and create chaos by pushing your defense to react before it's set is whats his difference maker.
    I really think both teams can make a top 10 seed but for the sake of the question I just think the Heat are a smidge more likely.

But to your second point, isn't that Carlisle style? I recall Rondo getting an 8 second violation because he was going back and forth with Carlisle trying to get the play call. I don't think Kidd played at warp speed eirher. Now if stats historically say otherwise about Carlisle, I'll agree. Just going strictly off memory, that's kinda how I think of the Mavs offense under Carlisle.

I really think both teams can make a top 10 seed but for the sake of the question I just think the Heat are a smidge more likely.

But to your second point, isn't that Carlisle style? I recall Rondo getting an 8 second violation because he was going back and forth with Carlisle trying to get the play call. I don't think Kidd played at warp speed eirher. Now if stats historically say otherwise about Carlisle, I'll agree. Just going strictly off memory, that's kinda how I think of the Mavs offense under Carlisle.
    Well, discount the Rondo thing because Rondo hated being there.

This is an interesting site:
    http://stats.inpredictable.com/nba/s...opmk&order=ASC

2020:
    15th after made shot (17.1 seconds)
    20th after a defensive rebound (11.5 seconds...not Knicks are the slowest at 12.7)
    13th after a turnover (8.8 seconds)
    22nd overall (14.5 seconds)

But I'm not sure if I can find data in time to get across half court. Keep in mind some of that "historically" slow play for Dallas had some to do with Dirk being a slower players too.

Yeah, for the record, I think Dallas is more likely just given the depth of talented and competent teams in the West. I could easily see 10 teams with higher records than the Mavs given how they're playing right now.

But both teams have serious issues, though, and the thread was more an opportunity to discuss what's broken with them right now.

Well, discount the Rondo thing because Rondo hated being there.

This is an interesting site:
    http://stats.inpredictable.com/nba/s...opmk&order=ASC

2020:
    15th after made shot (17.1 seconds)
    20th after a defensive rebound (11.5 seconds...not Knicks are the slowest at 12.7)
    13th after a turnover (8.8 seconds)
    22nd overall (14.5 seconds)

But I'm not sure if I can find data in time to get across half court. Keep in mind some of that "historically" slow play for Dallas had some to do with Dirk being a slower players too.
    That's fair, Dirk wasn't trying to do anything quick, fast, or in a hurry lol

That's fair, Dirk wasn't trying to do anything quick, fast, or in a hurry lol
    Yea. And I can’t remember if Carlisle has been anywhere else to pull data from. I guess we could try to fine 8-second violations to see if Dallas had more than normal. I remember the big talk of Luka being “what if you took away some of Bens athleticism to add some shooting”; so for transition opportunities (def rebound & steals) to be that low in the rankings (average to below average) is very telling IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea. And I can’t remember if Carlisle has been anywhere else to pull data from. I guess we could try to fine 8-second violations to see if Dallas had more than normal. I remember the big talk of Luka being “what if you took away some of Bens athleticism to add some shooting”; so for transition opportunities (def rebound & steals) to be that low in the rankings (average to below average) is very telling IMO.

Carlisle was a head coach for the Pistons and Pacers too. He got screwed on that Pistons deal. 2 winning seasons, decent playoff showing then they can him, beat his new team in the playoffs and win a title.

I really liked his Pacers teams too, minus the malice at the palace, of course.

Carlisle was a head coach for the Pistons and Pacers too. He got screwed on that Pistons deal. 2 winning seasons, decent playoff showing then they can him, beat his new team in the playoffs and win a title.

I really liked his Pacers teams too, minus the malice at the palace, of course.
    Yea unfortunately the data doesn’t go back the far.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast