Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    or we could finally do the smart thing and trade G and use those Assets to get much better... Vora and G are really terrible contracts that are only going to get worse and our fanbase would rather die on that grenade then do what this team needs and should have done 2 years before. I doubt we would get much for Vora but some team would over pay for G. I am not about loving one player over the success of any team... i am about championships.
    Giroux is not a "really terrible contract". He's one of the better offensive contributors on the Flyers, first. Secondly...he's only got one more year left. His contract ends after next season. It's got 1.5 years to go. How is that "really terrible"? If he had 3-4 years reminaing into his late 30's, I'd agree...really terrible. But at an $8.25m cap hit, like what, $1.5m too expensive? So he's costing us a 4th line player? He's made the difference up earlier in his career, and it isn't like he's not playing at a pretty high level still. Lastly, he has a NMC. Meaning, he controls where he goes, or if he goes (he man has played his entire career in Philly, has recently had a kid, and has a family here. He has no incentive to leave, as the Flyers are also, you know, good). Even if he did waive it, no team is trading multiple good assets for a 33/34 year old wing on a one year contract. You might get back a somewhat interesting pick (which would help the team in 3-4 years), but it isn't like this is getting a monster haul of NHL ready talent (what team, who's in win now is going to trade NHL ready talent for a player who can limit the market, and for a win-now player on a win-now contract?) The idea that he's a bad contract, or that he's waiving his NMC are pretty silly, so he can throw the "trade Giroux" idea/ into the bin. And it would be a terrible look, for the Flyers to force out their longest tenured captain, on his last year of his deal, on a good team. Players talk. They want to go to organizations that value you.

Frankly, keeping Giroux is in the best interest of the team and him right now. The Flyers are good now. Giroux's presence on the ice makes them better. He's still contributing well. He's got a contract that runs out at the right time for his hit. He already isn't going to bring back an NHL-ready haul added with a NMC, teams will not have to outbid many. So you both immediately hurt your team, then, get back a far lower return. Giroux is an important player. You're right, it's about championships, but neither Giroux, nor his contract, are the issues right now.
    Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 02-12-2021 at 07:49 AM.

I could see him signing a 2 or 3 year cap friendly deal to remain after this contract is up. As said, he's been here his whole career and just had a kid. Even if he ends up on the 3rd or 4th line, he is good at face-offs and can still put points up.

Giroux is a smart hockey player and that doesn't always show up on the stat sheet. He makes good decisions on ice and limits mistakes. He's an asset.

Anyone who wants to get rid of Giroux will be truly sorry when he is gone. The captain facilitates our entire offense and is a great two-way player. As JC mentioned, doesn't always show up on the stat sheet but is an invaluable player on our team.

I'm watching this Boston v NYR game and...man I just don't like Marchand...I just want to punch his face every time I see it. It's almost as bad as (or dare I say, worse than) Crosby. He cross checks a guy 3 times before getting called then, after the whistle gives three solid spears with the stick to the stomach, chest, then face of a player. The Rags player then gets mauled and ends up getting a roughing penalty lol. Marchand got a crosscheck, that was it. He's such a little punk...

Any word on when they might be playing again?

Might be another week.

The NHL should investigate getting the bubble together for March and the playoffs

Quote Originally Posted by lbz88 View Post
    Any word on when they might be playing again?
    Thursday at this point is the return date.

Anyone who wants to get rid of Giroux will be truly sorry when he is gone. The captain facilitates our entire offense and is a great two-way player. As JC mentioned, doesn't always show up on the stat sheet but is an invaluable player on our team.
    yup.
    The NHL should investigate getting the bubble together for March and the playoffs
    i don't know if a bubble is absolutely necessary, but sending everyone back to canadia would definitely help.

Quote Originally Posted by steagles View Post
    i agree that we don't need laine ...yet. but i do think we're getting closer to the point where we need to add an offensive spark in order to take another step forward.

what exactly are we looking at?
    i think an improved farbee, Patrick, and frost can really elevate this offense. They are all still super young and just finding their way. Time will tell but I just think we can get the offense without trading one of these three (maybe 2) for laine who is already being benched in cbj

Quote Originally Posted by 3iverson3 View Post
    i think an improved farbee, Patrick, and frost can really elevate this offense. They are all still super young and just finding their way. Time will tell but I just think we can get the offense without trading one of these three (maybe 2) for laine who is already being benched in cbj
    You would think that a #2 overall pick would have a bit more talent than Patrick.

The more I hear about Laine the less I want him. I'd trade maybe 2 AHL players for him, he just doesn't fit any system that needs him to back check. Shame to waste that kind of talent but there were others in the league before him that were the same way.

So it's looking like we're playing Thursday without 5 of our top 7 or 8 forwards...lol

Giroux, TK, Oskar, Jake, and Laughton are all still on COVID list.

So it's looking like we're playing Thursday without 5 of our top 7 or 8 forwards...lol

Giroux, TK, Oskar, Jake, and Laughton are all still on COVID list.
    depending on who has or has not tested positive, any of them could be taken off the list 2-3 hours before the game starts.

that doesn't mean they'd be in game shape, though.
    You would think that a #2 overall pick would have a bit more talent than Patrick
    and speaking of game shape...patrick lost 18 months, so it was unlikely that he would come back this year and immediately be better than he'd ever been.

he needs time to get his legs under him, and then we'll see.
    the flyers could have waited for laughton or patrick or vorobyev to develop into a 2nd line center, but they went out and got kevin hayes instead, and they solved the problem. solving problems: often underrated.

i don't see this as the kind of problem that needs to be solved because we do have those guys that you mentioned (also: ghost and sanheim, because when they're in form, they have the kind of offensive spark i'm talking about). that being said, i'm not eager to punt the rest of this season on the hope that someone in that group will step up. if it's not happening, i'd lean towards being proactive.

Quote Originally Posted by jc27 View Post
    You would think that a #2 overall pick would have a bit more talent than Patrick.
    oh cmon man. we all know its not going to cost a guy who was out for a whole freaking year...laine would easily cost us Patrick and another player/prospect/high pick. Now is it worth it?

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast