Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Who knows when we will play again. Covid in staff and players.

Hexy is the GM of Pitt; Burke is president

Hope they enjoy some pain through a rebuild

Quote Originally Posted by castan_b View Post

I was saying this to someone earlier today lol. Guy drafts well but gave some horrible extensions (Voracek, Gudas, etc.) and we had a losing record even after 4.5 years of him being the GM. The Penguins may add some good young talent under Hexy, but we can at least look forward to them losing or being first round exits for the next 5 years

i guess it's possible that burke's knee-jerk meatheadedness will be able to balance out hextall's parasitic sedateness.

does hextall have any other children in college?

Quote Originally Posted by bringbackfredex View Post
    I was saying this to someone earlier today lol. Guy drafts well but gave some horrible extensions (Voracek, Gudas, etc.) and we had a losing record even after 4.5 years of him being the GM. The Penguins may add some good young talent under Hexy, but we can at least look forward to them losing or being first round exits for the next 5 years
    lol watch, he may have learned his lesson with us and end up being the most prolific GM of our time. That's typically what happens to the Flyers, right? lol

Quote Originally Posted by LLMunchie619 View Post
    lol watch, he may have learned his lesson with us and end up being the most prolific GM of our time. That's typically what happens to the Flyers, right? lol
    I wouldn't doubt it bro haha, these type of things always seem to happen in Philadelphia. Fortunately we finally have a team (and the leadership in place) to contend for the cup over the next handful of years, assuming we can add a defenseman at the deadline. Gusty has been a disappointment at best in our attempt to replace Niskanen.

Quote Originally Posted by bringbackfredex View Post
    I wouldn't doubt it bro haha, these type of things always seem to happen in Philadelphia. Fortunately we finally have a team (and the leadership in place) to contend for the cup over the next handful of years, assuming we can add a defenseman at the deadline. Gusty has been a disappointment at best in our attempt to replace Niskanen.
    Facts...lol I just hope we don't give up too much to get said defenseman.

I have concerns about Fletcher.

Iím not a fan of York + Brink (who I donít see as an NHL player still) over Caufield

We havenít really improved the roster and while Hayes has been great so far, in 3 years we will also probably hate it. All other signings have been bad (exclusion of Nisky)

We should have given up the needed for Laine

Won't be long and he'll be sick of Torts and want traded. Not sure I want him, doesn't play in all 3 zones.

glad we didnt get laine, keep him away from this team. Are any of you willing to trade a player like tk, farabee, frost, patirkc for him? We have to probably do one of those and a 1st and that would still not be enough

Quote Originally Posted by 3iverson3 View Post
    glad we didnt get laine, keep him away from this team. Are any of you willing to trade a player like tk, farabee, frost, patirkc for him? We have to probably do one of those and a 1st and that would still not be enough
    We canít keep relying on our 3rd and 4th line to keep contributing as they do without the 1st and 2nd line doing anything at ES

Quote Originally Posted by castan_b View Post
    We canít keep relying on our 3rd and 4th line to keep contributing as they do without the 1st and 2nd line doing anything at ES
    In theory, this is a fine argument. But I think it misses a lot. First, the top-2 lines should be fine with the addition of a health(ish) Couts. It moves and slides lines back into more natural places. Secondly, on the top-2 lines, we should be fine in terms of players; we can't believe Koneceny is going to be this snakebitten all year; he's a 4th year veteran. The goals will come. We haven't put out a full lineup since opening night. I think we can consider moving Lindblom off those lines and replacing him with a Farabee, as well. But Giroux, Voracek, Hayes, and Couts are producing decently well this year and it hasn't been like they've been invisible on the score sheet. Sure, G and Voracek aren't scoring a ton of goals, but they shouldnt have been expected to; they're the table setters more than the scorers.

Secondly, Laine just isn't a fit right now. He doesn't contribute defensively (the Flyers biggest issue right now is their horrible 3rd line d-pairing and general defensive all around play), and he doesn't fit into the cap. The Flyers have $500K in cap space. Laine carries a $4.5m cap hit. Where are the Flyers making up that money? They're not in a particularly good spot next year for their cap already, and Laine adds another player they have to protect in the expansion draft. The Blue Jackets, as well, just paid Du Bois, who the Flyers didn't have a comp for (he's an established 2C) and they have little reason to sell cheap right now.

I know you want Laine but the Flyers don't really need Laine right now. He's probably a bad fit with AV (AV is a coach who's historically had beef with individuals). He's a bad fit in the cap situation. He's a bad fit in the expansion situation. We can hope that someone just gifts the Flyers cap relief in the offseason with the expansion draft, but I think that's a bad hedge right now; it could happen but I wouldn't bank on it.

There have been times in the past where "Go get Laine if you can" would have been something I'd have advocated. Where the Flyers are right now, I don't think it makes sense, nor is it realistically feasible.
    Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 02-11-2021 at 05:25 PM.

he doesn't fit into the cap. The Flyers have $500K in cap space. Laine carries a $4.5m cap hit. Where are the Flyers making up that money? They're not in a particularly good spot next year for their cap already, and Laine adds another player they have to protect in the expansion draft. The Blue Jackets, as well, just paid Du Bois, who the Flyers didn't have a comp for (he's an established 2C) and they have little reason to sell cheap right now.
    ghost is how you could make the cap work. and/or patrick. and/or gustafsson. and if there's a bigger deal to be made, then voracek and JVR.
    I know you want Laine but the Flyers don't really need Laine right now. He's probably a bad fit with AV (AV is a coach who's historically had beef with individuals). He's a bad fit in the cap situation.
    i agree that we don't need laine ...yet. but i do think we're getting closer to the point where we need to add an offensive spark in order to take another step forward.

He's a bad fit in the expansion situation. We can hope that someone just gifts the Flyers cap relief in the offseason with the expansion draft, but I think that's a bad hedge right now; it could happen but I wouldn't bank on it.
    what exactly are we looking at?

D: provorov, myers, sanheim ...ghost ...hagg
    G: hart

F: couturier, giroux, hayes, konecny ...JVR ...voracek ...patrick ...lindblom ...laughton (...farabee is auto-protected ...i think)

no matter what, we're gonna lose someone we don't want to lose. and whether it's ghost, or JVR, or laughton, it's gonna hurt. but it's only that one guy. even if have to expose a bunch of good players, we're not gonna lose all of them; we're just going to lose one. we can eat that. there's no reason to try to outsmart ourselves by trying to play around it. doing that (poorly) is how CLB (karlsson, a 1st round pick pick and a 2nd round pick), FLA (marchesseault, smith and a 4th round pick) and MIN (tuch, haula and a 2nd round pick) wound up losing big at the last expansion draft.

I have concerns about Fletcher.

Iím not a fan of York + Brink (who I donít see as an NHL player still) over Caufield

We havenít really improved the roster and while Hayes has been great so far, in 3 years we will also probably hate it. All other signings have been bad (exclusion of Nisky)
    york over caufield is still a defensible choice; it's not some kind of irredeemable, backbreaking mistake.

brink is a 2nd round pick, and that's a different conversation.

as for your take on fletcher, i agree. he hasn't attempted to put his stamp on the roster, and while that does have the upside of preventing any big mistakes, it also makes everything feel a bit stale. maybe it would feel different if patrick and ghost hadn't regressed from being core pieces with gamebreaking potential a few years ago, to fringe role players who are just there now.

i wasn't a huge fan of signing hayes to that contract when it happened, but he's already worked out so much better than i expected that i'm not sweating the back end of it as much as i maybe should be.

Quote Originally Posted by 3iverson3 View Post
    or we could finally do the smart thing and trade G and use those Assets to get much better... Vora and G are really terrible contracts that are only going to get worse and our fanbase would rather die on that grenade then do what this team needs and should have done 2 years before. I doubt we would get much for Vora but some team would over pay for G. I am not about loving one player over the success of any team... i am about championships.
    Last edited by More-Than-Most; 02-12-2021 at 05:58 AM.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast