Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

MLB Proposal: 1 month delay, 154 games, full pay, expanded playoffs, universal DH

MLB proposes new season terms to MLBPA.
    https://sports.yahoo.com/mlb-propose...201016798.html

This is all for the owners. I don't see why the players would accept this. The only way they might agree is if they give them a bigger cut of the playoff money.

Yeah, this will get rejected.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmac View Post
    This is all for the owners. I don't see why the players would accept this. The only way they might agree is if they give them a bigger cut of the playoff money.
    Why wouldn't they agree? they would get the same amount of pay as a 162 game season if it is 154 games.

I can see this happening. but I don't see how 3 weeks makes any difference as far as covid goes. it's been going on for 11 months now. 3 weeks won't mean it's any more safe or worse even with a vaccine. it makes no sense. remember last year the hope was to delay the season 2 weeks to April 9 that it would 'be better' here we are almost a year later and it's worse then it was in March.

This is an excuse to get the stupid expanded playoffs in the game I hate this you will have teams winning 80 games making the playoffs like the Astros last year or the marlins getting in. DH rule I can take.. the stupid extra innings 7 game thing I hate as well but I don't think that rule will hang around forever.

I think this will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Adster View Post
    Why wouldn't they agree? they would get the same amount of pay as a 162 game season if it is 154 games.

I can see this happening. but I don't see how 3 weeks makes any difference as far as covid goes. it's been going on for 11 months now. 3 weeks won't mean it's any more safe or worse even with a vaccine. it makes no sense. remember last year the hope was to delay the season 2 weeks to April 9 that it would 'be better' here we are almost a year later and it's worse then it was in March.

This is an excuse to get the stupid expanded playoffs in the game I hate this you will have teams winning 80 games making the playoffs like the Astros last year or the marlins getting in. DH rule I can take.. the stupid extra innings 7 game thing I hate as well but I don't think that rule will hang around forever.

I think this will happen.
    Why would they? They are going to have to make up those other games. They want to delay the season for a month, but only subtract 8 games. They are going to have to make up those other 20 or so games during the season with double headers. The difference in pay for players for those 8 games isn't a lot, and that is all they would be getting out of this deal. It sucks for them.

Why would they? They are going to have to make up those other games. They want to delay the season for a month, but only subtract 8 games. They are going to have to make up those other 20 or so games during the season with double headers. The difference in pay for players for those 8 games isn't a lot, and that is all they would be getting out of this deal. It sucks for them.
    Good point I never thought of that. I assumed the season was going into November a bit longer but your right there would be some double headers to make up for it. I think they would agree if it was a 162 games season however with just a month in delay so the season would end late November. that might be better

I think another issue for the players is the expanded playoffs, which could give all teams less of a reason to break the bank on payroll, leading to less bidding for individual players and lower salaries for individual players in the long run.

Lame, just vaccinate the damn players.

Good riddance for expanded postseason.

Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid (13) Ryan HGHoward

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    I think another issue for the players is the expanded playoffs, which could give all teams less of a reason to break the bank on payroll, leading to less bidding for individual players and lower salaries for individual players in the long run.
    Yeah, that is the other issue as well. Teams can be mediocre and make the playoffs. Players are going to need a bigger slice of the pie to agree to this, and the owners won't do that.

Yes the expanded playoffs thing is a joke. Look at last year. the Astros made the playoffs on winning 29 games and were not far off the world series!! yes 29 wins almost got them to the world series!! yes it was a 60 game season. but this would be like a 78 or 79 win season making the playoffs.

and no disrespect to the marlins but they never belonged in the playoffs last year either... Washington started 18-31 and won the world series in 2019.. last year if it was a true season they probably would have made the playoffs and marlins would have won 75

games. I like to think the 2020 season is thrown out the door to be honest such a small sample size but the Dodgers did deserve the trophy had the Rays won it all though people would have said they deserved a asterisks it's just that teams like the dodgers and yankees were already ready to win now.

the expanded playoffs thing can go to hell I already am not a huge fan of the 1 wild card game. it's not rewarding the grind of a 162 game season and baseball is so random. that a 78 win team could just get hot over a 1 month period and win it all.

I guess I can take the DH rule but I will miss the strategy with double switches etc

the 7 innings runner on base rule can also go to hell... I see cut spring training down 1 or 2 weeks. delay it till mid march. then the season can start on time. if pitchers are not ready the first week or so for the season will just have to be their time to get ready. the NFL did it MLB can do it and every team will be at the same advantage of not having some pitchers ready with only 2 weeks of spring training... but once again yes the players won't agree to that.

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    I dont think so. I think the opposite would happen. If teams feel as though they're close, they'll open the purse strings. Do you think the Jays would've spent if they had not made the playoffs last year? How many times have we heard, we're not spending because we're not close to a Wild Card? Expanded Playoffs is good for the game. Creates interest. Increases bidding.

I completely disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFanGuy View Post
    I dont think so. I think the opposite would happen. If teams feel as though they're close, they'll open the purse strings. Do you think the Jays would've spent if they had not made the playoffs last year? How many times have we heard, we're not spending because we're not close to a Wild Card? Expanded Playoffs is good for the game. Creates interest. Increases bidding.
    Some teams maybe, most teams, no.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFanGuy View Post
    Completely agree with this. The Cubs, Rockies, Cleveland, and others have apparently conceded the year. Expand the playoffs and this wouldn't happen. An argument can be made that a team with a losing record may win the world series. If a team barely makes the playoffs, makes it all the way through and wins, deserves to be the champion. You play the season to make the playoffs and then you let the playoffs play themselves out.

Some teams maybe, most teams, no.
    Some teams maybe, most teams, yes. Definitely yes.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast