Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    Lions have $47 mil in Goff between his salary and Stanford’s dead cap hit. Lol
    Between Goff and Cooks the Rams have over $40M in dead cap. And they're still most likely to be a playoff team / SB contender.
    Dak: 17,634 @ 66.0%, 7.7 per att, 106+24 TD, 40 INT+34 FMB, 97.3 Rate
    Wentz: 16,811 @ 62.7%, 6.7 per att, 113+8 TD, 50 INT+58 FMB, 89.2 Rate

Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef View Post
    I'll eat a shoe if BB is still coaching in 5 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    Sticking to traditions:

IF Wentz is a Philadelphia Eagle in 2021, he will be the starter. If not, bye bye PSD, I'll leave.
    "Hater" is a term used by weak minded people in the face of legitimate criticism.
    -Scott van Pelt

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    Lions have $47 mil in Goff between his salary and Stanford’s dead cap hit. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The team is in full rebuild so I really don't have a problem with this. If anything, it helps them from not spending money they don't need to.

Quote Originally Posted by tigers.6 View Post
    The team is in full rebuild so I really don't have a problem with this. If anything, it helps them from not spending money they don't need to.
    I don't know about you, but I look forward to not spending millions of dollars on a ****** O-lineman again.

Quote Originally Posted by cattusmaru View Post
    They also wouldn't waste their top pick in the upcoming draft for a QB with a 50% bust potential so its an even bigger win for the Lions. Not a fan of Stafford as he toss picks far too often even with decent receivers. Rams could have done better like with a Rivers who doesn't have a cannon arm like Stafford but make better reads and decision making which is the key to winning (not including his past playoff struggles) if McVay wanted a good past their prime QB not named Brady.
    the **** are you talking about? he's averaged 10 interceptions the last 7 years, and that's with one of the worst running games, and average to awful oline during that time.

that's pretty ****ing good considering

It's amazing how differently the teams who drafted 1st and 2nd overall in 2016, and extended their picks in 2019 have reacted to each of them massively underperforming their contracts.

Also amazing is how the HC who got badly outcoached by Belichick in the SB is a genius who can make any QB look great, while the one who actually outcoached Belichick in the SB is a doofus who got fired.

Quote Originally Posted by QB_Eagles View Post
    It's amazing how differently the teams who drafted 1st and 2nd overall in 2016, and extended their picks in 2019 have reacted to each of them massively underperforming their contracts.

Also amazing is how the HC who got badly outcoached by Belichick in the SB is a genius who can make any QB look great, while the one who actually outcoached Belichick in the SB is a doofus who got fired.
    Something interesting is how there’s member of the sports media saying that McVay looked like a genus because of Goff and he’s overrated and the next Gruden unable to settle on a QB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Five Angels View Post
    Agreed for the most part, especially when considering the old NFL tabulation that next year's 1st is equal to this year's 2nd, and so on. The trade works out well for both clubs because the Lions were one of the few teams who the two future 1st are more attractive than a single 1st this year. You've got a new front office on a 5 year contract in Detroit and a new HC on a 6 year deal which buys the organization something most teams don't have to work with...time. There are reports that Washington was looking to offer Detroit their 2021 first round pick and are suggesting that it was a better deal, when in reality, it was simply a different deal.

Two future firsts and a 3rd this year works better for the Lions because they're in the middle of a strip it to the studs rebuild. There aren't any expectations or pressure for success from anyone for the next couple years, so those multiple future firsts are far more attractive to Detroit who's looking to field a competitive club in 2 or 3 years than they would be for a club looking to be immediately competitive. Meanwhile the Rams get to deal away what many would consider lesser value firsts and dump Goff's bloated contract. It was really a win win for both Detroit and LA.
    This is why I think the Lions trade Goff either before the season starts or in the off season next year. He still has two years ? The Lions are rebuilding why would they keep him for two years and then not pay him ? He'll want more than what he's getting now if he repeats what he did two years go . Why not trade him and his contract for more picks and possibly some good young help ? Take the best QB avaliable at the draft and build around him.
    "Just because the path is well beaten. That doesn't mean it's the right way to go"

Keep in mind the Lions pretty much always are behind in most games 2-3 TD's so the defense doesn't play as tight . In a sense he's padding his numbers so to speak. Don't get me wrong he's a very good QB with no protection. He has had very good receivers but in many cases forced to throw the ball sooner. And the Lions defense has been terrible so they usually start deeper in their own territory .Lions defense gave up over 30 points a game on average.
    "Just because the path is well beaten. That doesn't mean it's the right way to go"

Quote Originally Posted by JackB View Post
    Keep in mind the Lions pretty much always are behind in most games 2-3 TD's so the defense doesn't play as tight . In a sense he's padding his numbers so to speak. Don't get me wrong he's a very good QB with no protection. He has had very good receivers but in many cases forced to throw the ball sooner. And the Lions defense has been terrible so they usually start deeper in their own territory .Lions defense gave up over 30 points a game on average.
    The Lions defense is usually in the ball park of average in PPGA. They were really bad the last 2 years and really good in 2014 (3rd), but they're usually in the 13-20 range.

The Lions defense is usually in the ball park of average in PPGA. They were really bad the last 2 years and really good in 2014 (3rd), but they're usually in the 13-20 range.
    Similar to the "garbage time" argument for QBs, you could argue the opposing offense started running the ball up 2 scores to bleed the clock, leading to less points against.

The real answer is we don't really know if Stafford is good or bad from his time with the Lions. He's a bit like Tannehill before the trade to the Titans. We'll have a much better idea next year.
    Dak: 17,634 @ 66.0%, 7.7 per att, 106+24 TD, 40 INT+34 FMB, 97.3 Rate
    Wentz: 16,811 @ 62.7%, 6.7 per att, 113+8 TD, 50 INT+58 FMB, 89.2 Rate

I'll eat a shoe if BB is still coaching in 5 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    Sticking to traditions:

IF Wentz is a Philadelphia Eagle in 2021, he will be the starter. If not, bye bye PSD, I'll leave.
    "Hater" is a term used by weak minded people in the face of legitimate criticism.
    -Scott van Pelt

Quote Originally Posted by JackB View Post
    This is why I think the Lions trade Goff either before the season starts or in the off season next year. He still has two years ? The Lions are rebuilding why would they keep him for two years and then not pay him ? He'll want more than what he's getting now if he repeats what he did two years go . Why not trade him and his contract for more picks and possibly some good young help ? Take the best QB avaliable at the draft and build around him.
    I wouldn’t be surprised if Detroit looked to eventually move Goff if a team met their price. That said, his 4 year extension actually runs through the ‘24 season. Even though Goff signed the extension in 2019, the additional 4 years begins this upcoming season, not back in ‘19. His cap hit for the next four years are as follows:

2021: $27.825 million
    2022: $25.5 million
    2023: $25 million
    2024: $26 million

Beautiful thing is, if he corrects his decline in Detroit and becomes the stud the Rams once hoped he’d become, his salary isn’t completely unworkable. The Lions could chose to keep him and build around him or deal him away. If he doesn’t work out, he’s a two year rental that serves as bridge to the future that can be cut in 2023 with zero cap ramifications.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Detroit looked to eventually move Goff if a team met their price. That said, his 4 year extension actually runs through the ‘24 season. Even though Goff signed the extension in 2019, the additional 4 years begins this upcoming season, not back in ‘19. His cap hit for the next four years are as follows:

2021: $27.825 million
    2022: $25.5 million
    2023: $25 million
    2024: $26 million

Beautiful thing is, if he corrects his decline in Detroit and becomes the stud the Rams once hoped he’d become, his salary isn’t completely unworkable. The Lions could chose to keep him and build around him or deal him away. If he doesn’t work out, he’s a two year rental that serves as bridge to the future that can be cut in 2023 with zero cap ramifications.
    This.

If he works out, it's a win for the Lions. If he doesn't work out, its a win for the Lions.

The guys over at the Pride of Detroit blog have put out the question as to whether or not Goff has blossomed as a QB yet based on his first 5 years in the league vs Stafford’s:

Matthew Stafford’s first five years:

61 games: 17,457 yards, 109 TDs, 73 INTs, 59.5 completion %, 6.99 Y/A, 83.1 passer rating

Jared Goff’s first five years:

69 games: 18,171 yards, 107 TDs, 55 INTs, 63.4 completion %, 7.5 Y/A, 91.5 passer rating

So you’re saying there’s a chance...

The guys over at the Pride of Detroit blog have put out the question as to whether or not Goff has blossomed as a QB yet based on his first 5 years in the league vs Stafford’s:

61 games: 17,457 yards, 109 TDs, 73 INTs, 59.5 completion %, 6.99 Y/A, 83.1 passer rating

69 games: 18,171 yards, 107 TDs, 55 INTs, 63.4 completion %, 7.5 Y/A, 91.5 passer rating

I think everyone is aware Stafford is a pick machine which is why i am surprised McVay want this guy just cause he has a cannon arm. He hasn't won anything in his career as a professional. Goff is not a pick machine but he does fumble a lot like the guy needs to use stickies on his hand or something. Lions is the big winner here.

I honestly wouldn't get my hopes up.

McVay is overrated but those 2017-2018 years the Rams offense had a ton of talent, which benefited Goff (and McVay).

The Lions doesn't compare to the Rams OL back then, and Gurley was the best RB in football. WR/TE talent could be comparable but only if the Lions retain free agents.

So at least in 2021, Goff will probably look like he did in 2020 not 2018.

He's still a very talented QB of course.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast