Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Webslinger View Post
    This was a pure salary dump. The cardinals absolutely gave up nothing of value. At the same time, Zips also projects Arrenado to be just an average to below average player over the next 5 years rendering his contract to be a disaster.
    The one thing that works for the Cardinals is Arenado is still a stellar defensive 3rd baseman. +15 DRS in 400 innings last year is insane. He's still a 2-3 WAR 3rd baseman just with his defense alone although that will start showing depreciating results soon. I don't know how well his offense will translate. I read he has a career .848 OPS at Busch Stadium. I mean that's a significant drop off from his Coors Field numbers.

The storyline I want to see is how his offensive numbers translate being in an entirely different park for half the season. His home/road splits definitely lead me to believe he MAY be a product of Coords. But he should bring leadership and excellent defense to the Cardinals

Even though the park certainly helped his home numbers, I don't think he's a product of Coors. It's not as simple as just looking at the home/away splits either. Coors seems to change the way players approach hitting and it is tough to separate that until they've stopped playing half their games in Colorado.

Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    he played half his games outside of Coors all those years he hit .300, he'll be fine

Hadn't realized until I took a look at his career stats that the Rockies used to have a minor league team called the Casper Ghosts...not every city could pull something like that off
    His numbers outside Coors have been declining the last few seasons. He'll be fine but may not be the superstar they expect.

Colorado is paying all of Arenado's 2021 35 million dollar salary and then the new year added at the end in 2027 for 15 million is also going to be paid by the rockies (assuming he doesn't opt out). STL pays for the 6 years in the middle.

The trade keeps getting better for STL considering their goal was to cut payroll in 2021 and now their roster is better while also having accomplished the goal of a lower 2021 payroll. I wonder if they'll go for another free agent now (other than Waino and Yadi) or call it good. My guess is they call it good

I dunno how you can ever build a winning team in Colorado. it's just a mess there.

Quote Originally Posted by Adster View Post
    I dunno how you can ever build a winning team in Colorado. it's just a mess there.
    I made a thread about that a few years ago. Until they move into a smaller stadium that is less affected by the thin air, its going to be hard to put together a good ballclub. Its great that their offense plays so well at home but so does the competition. Not to mention, inflated hitter stats even with ballpark adjustments probably don't tell the full story. The pitching is always going to suffer there as well unless they just become some anomalistic entity of strictly ground ball pitchers and high strikeout guys.

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    I made a thread about that a few years ago. Until they move into a smaller stadium that is less affected by the thin air, its going to be hard to put together a good ballclub. Its great that their offense plays so well at home but so does the competition. Not to mention, inflated hitter stats even with ballpark adjustments probably don't tell the full story. The pitching is always going to suffer there as well unless they just become some anomalistic entity of strictly ground ball pitchers and high strikeout guys.
    Kinda like they need to be playing in a domed building that's always closed and has the environment properly manipulated to counteract the effects of the thin air (if needed).

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    Kinda like they need to be playing in a domed building that's always closed and has the environment properly manipulated to counteract the effects of the thin air (if needed).
    Yeah even a retractable roof might help as well. Preferably domed but I think the dimensions of the ballpark are a big factor in why offense is prevalent as well. They need something more consistent with other major league parks that is enclosed.

Manfred should have pulled a Stern and vetoed the trade. Cardinals got him for 2 bags of hot cheetos. Rockies would have probably asked for Lux, May, Ruiz, Buehler for Arenado but end up getting peanuts for him. But even with that trade Cardinals are still not a title contender IMO. Only threat to my Dodgers in the NL are the Braves and Madres.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12