Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 86 of 97 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,290 of 1451

Democrats and Gerrymandering

https://twitter.com/lynnsweet/status...389787648?s=20

Only republicans do this right? Iím sure weíll have a bunch of dems outraged at this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Canít wait to see all the lefties defending gerrymandering. Donít let me down

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

This all comes back the same argument of voter suppression and voter rights. If Democrats are gerrymandering districts its only to protect or re-establish their footing in a certain area much like Republicans are doing or have done as well. None of it is right but this wouldn't happen if people just left voter rights alone and let things play out democratically.

Imagine all of this nonsense continuing on because of false voter fraud allegations.
    Last edited by metswon69; 10-16-2021 at 03:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    Canít wait to see all the lefties defending gerrymandering. Donít let me down

I literally posted this in another thread. I don't like the tactic at all. Not one bit. I support federal legislation to ban the practice. I am hoping that the Manchin bill to ban the practice outright...

...and here comes the but...

There are absolutely no signs of Republicans stopping the practice. We are seeing almost all the population growth from states like Texas come from people who are brown or black and yet what did their state do? They gerrymandered their districts to almost universally increase the representation of white citizens. They in fact made sure to put two popular POC politicians in one district to force them to compete in the same primary.

Long story short, fight fire with fire! Fight to bar the practice but take full advantage of what Republicans won't make illegal in the short term.
    Let's get embedded tweets working again!

https://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sh...5#post33780085

Quote Originally Posted by Brewersfan255 View Post
    https://twitter.com/lynnsweet/status...389787648?s=20

Only republicans do this right? Iím sure weíll have a bunch of dems outraged at this?
    Those districts are ridiculous. We need to end gerrymandering, legislatures shouldnít have the ability to draw districts.

Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    I literally posted this in another thread. I don't like the tactic at all. Not one bit. I support federal legislation to ban the practice. I am hoping that the Manchin bill to ban the practice outright...

...and here comes the but...

There are absolutely no signs of Republicans stopping the practice. We are seeing almost all the population growth from states like Texas come from people who are brown or black and yet what did their state do? They gerrymandered their districts to almost universally increase the representation of white citizens. They in fact made sure to put two popular POC politicians in one district to force them to compete in the same primary.

Long story short, fight fire with fire! Fight to bar the practice but take full advantage of what Republicans won't make illegal in the short term.
    In other words you think itís okay because the republicans are doing it. Lame

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Those districts are ridiculous. We need to end gerrymandering, legislatures shouldnít have the ability to draw districts.
    Who should re-draw districts when elimination or addition of districts is required by census data?

Quote Originally Posted by catman View Post
    Who should re-draw districts when elimination or addition of districts is required by census data?
    An independent commission. Or redraft the law to either lock districts in place or leave it up to a nonpartisan computer algorithm that creates equally sized districts by population regardless of other data points (such as political affiliation). Or award each party a set number of representatives based on the proportion of the electorate (I.e. if a state voted 57% Republican and 43% Democrat the state would dish out 6 representatives to Republicans and 4 to Democrats).

Thereís definitely a way to do this without being so partisan or unfair.

That sounds like you are in favor of gerrymandering. What would stop the commission, when eliminating a congressional seat, from simply placing 2 representatives from the same party in a district so that party would lose one of the seats regardless of population maps?
    I agree that having districts that go around areas with high population density should be discouraged.

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    I would love to see Manchinís bill get some traction. There are parts I donít like about it but it would be far preferable to the current system. We really need to get rid of these decertification efforts and audits on audits and other abuses that Republicans are lining up in states that they know they will lose.

That sounds like you are in favor of gerrymandering. What would stop the commission, when eliminating a congressional seat, from simply placing 2 representatives from the same party in a district so that party would lose one of the seats regardless of population maps?
    I agree that having districts that go around areas with high population density should be discouraged.
    Sounds like you have no idea what Iím talking about. Whatís to stop the commission from doing as you say? The fact their are no -partisan? The fact that you could make that expressly against the rules?

I donít know what you mean by your last sentence but the idea of the algorithm would be it was determine districts by equal populations, so a district could be 300 square miles and another 3 sq miles so long as they each have equal populations.

If they are 60-40 Democratic or Republican, the majority will win out and they will design the districts the way they want -- to the advantage of the party they represent.
    I have seen some great district distributions for large population states, but neither party would like them. They frequently pit 2 incumbents against each other in either primary or general elections and there are a few open seats.
    My point is to have a district that rings a large city (lets say Houston Texas) and have the city split up into other districts.

If they are 60-40 Democratic or Republican, the majority will win out and they will design the districts the way they want -- to the advantage of the party they represent.
    I have seen some great district distributions for large population states, but neither party would like them. They frequently pit 2 incumbents against each other in either primary or general elections and there are a few open seats.
    My point is to have a district that rings a large city (lets say Houston Texas) and have the city split up into other districts.
    Thatís what happens now. A non-partisan commission wouldnít change their makeup based on the vote, thereíd always be an equal amount of Dís and Rís on the commissionÖ

Or in the other idea I suggested, if the voting was 60-40 Democrat-Republican, the number of Representatives would be locked in at 6 to 4, so the side that got 60% couldnít then draw districts to where they get an 8-2 representative advantage.

A non-partisan commission would be a good idea. I misunderstood what you wrote. I apologize for that.

A non-partisan commission would be a good idea. I misunderstood what you wrote. I apologize for that.
    Plenty of states do it and it works. I think they they should be required to use mathematical formulas that require the minimum surface area to avoid districts being so gerrymandered.

Page 86 of 97 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896 ... LastLast