Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Around the League 2021

New year new thread, this is for all non-packers related players/coaches news.

Goff plus 2 1sts and a 3rd for stafford? Nuts!

that would be a trade I would make in Madden, I would then flip Goff for 2 more 1st round picks and flip 3 of those for the #1 overall and take Trevor Lawrence (in Madden of course)

Ahh you ****ers beat me to it lol! Great haul for the Lions. Goff is a bridge QB. If they arenít responsible for his guaranteed money, they will trade or cut him. Theyíre not going to win anyway for a few years. Take the pics and the mediocre QB that could get you a good comp pic. Like the coaching they hired so far too. Not bad at all. Stafford is going to make the Rams a much more dangerous team offensively. We play them next year I believe. 49ers now healthy and the Rams upgrading hopefully makes the boys more on the button to right the ship.
    Last edited by JayZee1981; 01-31-2021 at 12:56 AM.

They are on the hook for quite a bit of money from Goff. To an extent, I think this is similar to the brown brick osweiler trade a few years back. Lions probably got more because they were willing willing take in Goff's deal.

i love the boldness of it and it might not work out for the Rams at all. the Lions have not been exactly honest (Colts too) with injury reports the last couple of years. Stafford could be in worse shape he is advertised as. i also love the fact that the second tier QB's getting first tier money is creating havoc in the league. totally self induced.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    They are on the hook for quite a bit of money from Goff. To an extent, I think this is similar to the brown brick osweiler trade a few years back. Lions probably got more because they were willing willing take in Goff's deal.
    Theyíre actually saving 13 million with the QB switches. 2022 if they keep him, heíll be a 25 million cap hit. They donít, 15 million, so I donít see him being there beyond this upcoming season hence be just a bridge QB. They got decent draft pick collateral to go the draft route for a future QB now. This was a very good deal for the Lions.

This is a deal that could blow up in the face of both teams. Stafford is no guarantee to excel or stay healthy. Stafford is an upgrade over Goff, but he has never been consistently great. It may be one of his better, if not best supporting cast he's had here. On paper, it in the short term may work well for the Rams, but there are some long term issues that may come about. I'm not questioning Stafford is an upgrade, but was he that much of an upgrade over Goff you would give up 2 1st, your starting QB, and a 3rd for? Frankly, anything short of the Rams winning the next Super Bowl this move is a bit of a failure.

The Rams strategy here is still a bit confusing they'll now go presumably 7 years without a 1st round pick. They are waging on aging big names and an aging OL to take them to the finish line. They are limiting their ability to build depth. Good on them for dumping Goff's salary, but this was a Super Bowl or bust trade. If they don't hoist the Lombardi Trophy next season this deal was a failure because not only did you not get significantly further, but now you have no 1st rounders and one guaranteed year left of Stafford.

Detroit may have gotten a massive haul, but they need to hit on these picks and history still suggests they often find a way to whiff. Goff holds them over to get them to their next guy. On paper, Detroit can revamp their franchise with a move like this. On paper a shrewd move, but again it's Detroit, so it's hard to say they come away winners. They got far more value than anyone would have thought they could have. Goff is fairly moot as they can cut him before 2023 for a low cap hit. How they draft with those 3 picks will really decide who wins.

But for both teams could be a move that works out for neither as they hope.

Think about this. The Rams used 6 draft picks to move up in the draft to select Goff, and gave away 3 more to get rid of him. 🤦🏻*♂️ All the while paying him. 9 draft picks. Thatís insane.

This is a dumb move for LA imo. You made a mistake paying Goff, now you made another big mistake losing 3 high picks to get rid of him. Is stafford an upgrade? Eh, probably, but Iíve never thought that highly of stafford. Puts up big volume numbers but Iíve never seen him as a crunch time guy that can carry a franchise. I really have no idea what kind of expectations LA could possibly have here that this doesnít wind up as a monumental failure. Hereís no way that Matt stafford was the missing ingredient to get them a sb trophy.

I think Stafford is underrated by quite a bit. He's never had anything resembling a decent supporting cast. With that defense, they will be dangerous. Plus picks can be overrated. I thinkntheyve pivoted too hard lately on trading picks, but if you're getting really good players, it's worth it. The issue is that picks can provide decent value for relatively cheap. I think that's where the rams miss out. And they miss a chance at getting a really good young player. But if those picks land in the 20s, the odds of landing anyone of Stafford caliber is fairly slim.

Look at our own history. We've drafted a bunch in the 20s for the last decade or so. And our results have been mixed at best. The rams could very easily be picking in that range. Look back at past drafts from pick 20-32 or so. Sure there's some TJ Watts in there, but there's also plenty of guys who aren't even starters anymore or mediocre starters at best. So if we use 2015 and 2016 as examples, since it's probably late enough to judge those drafts, the 26 guys taken from 20-32 in those 2 drafts, there's been 2 pro bowlers and probably 3 other guys I'd consider high level starters. There's a few more starters but more than half are rotational guys at best or out of the league at worst.
    Last edited by crewfan13; 02-01-2021 at 08:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bigfishguy85 View Post
    This is a dumb move for LA imo. You made a mistake paying Goff, now you made another big mistake losing 3 high picks to get rid of him. Is stafford an upgrade? Eh, probably, but Iíve never thought that highly of stafford. Puts up big volume numbers but Iíve never seen him as a crunch time guy that can carry a franchise. I really have no idea what kind of expectations LA could possibly have here that this doesnít wind up as a monumental failure. Hereís no way that Matt stafford was the missing ingredient to get them a sb trophy.
    I agree the rams made some dumb moves involving Goff. But donít sleep on Stafford. Guy is a stud.

Agreed that Stafford is super underrated. He's also never had a good coach. And now that he has a real coach who is one of the best offensive minds in the league he could explode.

Quote Originally Posted by ugottabjoshinme View Post
    Agreed that Stafford is super underrated. He's also never had a good coach. And now that he has a real coach who is one of the best offensive minds in the league he could explode.
    I don't disagree with this by any means. However, is it possible the media has hyped up mcvay more than he deserves? I constantly hear him talked about ad such a great young coach. Maybe Goff just stinks and he is a great coach, or maybe he had a really good run where Gurley played out of his mind that took them to a super bowl, where he got absolutely waxed by the Patriots gameplan, which is a gameplan that has basically been successfully replicated against the Rams offense ever since.

Stafford is more talented than Goff for sure. But I so sometimes question if mcvay gets a bit too much credit for how much of a genius he is. That rams team made the super bowl on a bad call and was pretty talented too.

There is no question that Stafford makes them better, but Stafford isn't a lock to take them over the top. For me that's the key. The amount they've given up means they better win a Super Bowl or this deal is a failure. Regardless of who those picks would have or will be, they've essentially given 9 draft picks for the QB spot. They've now gone 7 years w/o a first-round pick. If you don't win it all then all this was moot. All the chips for the Rams are on the table.

As for Stafford, I agree he is a solid QB, but I'm not labeling him elite either. I would argue he's had sufficient supporting cast in the past, well not during the Matt Patricia era. His cast wasn't terrible during the Schwartz era. He had weapons during the Jim Caldwell era he's had a team to work with. No, it may not be to the level he may see in LA, but he hasn't had a bare cupboard either. He had Megatron to throw to his first 5 seasons and over the past 10 years not all of the defenses have ranked poorly. Megatron alone was better than any offensive talent the Rams have.

I agree picks can be overrated, but they are really putting a lot of pressure on their starters to stay healthy. The move comes down to them putting all their chips in on McVay making Stafford elite again. Stafford ranges from above average to very very good, but never elite QB. Since the 2011 season, he's had one season over 30 TD's. He's been consistent over 20. He only has 5 seasons with a passer rating over 90. Let's be honest here the biggest thing that Stafford adds to the Rams is the deep ball. Goff was pretty bad at throwing the deep ball. I can't sit here and say that all of Goff's success was McVay though. The move will forever not get a grade below a "C" because they go out from the Goff contract, but for it to go any higher they have to win it all.

If you look past 2011, one could make the case there is not a huge gap between Goff's numbers and Stafford's. Anyone with eyes can see they're not equal players. They're not, there are clear areas where the Rams upgrade here, but how big is the question. The move to me suggests they're obviously looking at this move thinking Stafford is to McVay as Rodgers is Lafleur. I don't see it. They've put their chips in on a Stafford/McVay combo. Stafford always been very good, but never dominant. He's even had a solid offensive mind to play for in Jim Caldwell who may not be Sean McVay in people's minds, but he's no bum either. McVay is often far too talked up IMO. He's a good coach but really hyped up as well. I think plenty of coaches have shown similar genius. His buddies Lafleur and Shannan have both been just as impressive at times. I'm just not sure how much further McVay can take Stafford than Caldwell did. Is McVay really going to make a 33-year-old QB into an elite QB? He certainly could, but this was a huge risk. I fully expect his numbers to potentially jump, but at the end of the day, this was an all or nothing move. Yes, they upgraded, yes, they will be better, there is no question there, but if they don't win it all the move is a failure as they've given up 7 1st round picks to build their roster, and 9 total picks to the QB position.
    Last edited by IRNMN; 02-02-2021 at 11:53 AM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast