Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: Offseason 2021

They can still do an extension for Davante that would open up some money also, which has been rumored for awhile now.

What do you guys think about a MVS extension? right now according to over the cap he counts for 2.183 mill against the cap at the moment and its the final year of his rookie deal, you would think an extension would give some relief while also keeping him under contract for a few more years.

Quote Originally Posted by PackerBum9786 View Post
    They can still do an extension for Davante that would open up some money also, which has been rumored for awhile now.

What do you guys think about a MVS extension? right now according to over the cap he counts for 2.183 mill against the cap at the moment and its the final year of his rookie deal, you would think an extension would give some relief while also keeping him under contract for a few more years.
    I'm curious what a Davante extension looks like, he's going to likely want top dollar. I'm in no way arguing against it, but at the same time I'm wondering how they limit some of the risk of the deal. He's 28, will be 29 late next season. He hasn't been consistently healthy, nothing major for him just a handful of small injures, but he's only played a full 16 twice in his career, not a major issue, but it is something to consider. I would love to see him here his whole career, but they can't make the same mistake the Saints did with Michael Thomas. If they bout him out next year for example it's a $22.7 mil dead cap hit, the year after $13.8 mil. I would almost argue they should consider model the Amari Cooper deal and not try to backload the contract.

I wouldn't be against an MVS extension, but I would almost want to wait to see he looks again in the season before doing anything with MVS. If it's their plan to extend him I don't think he would be too hard to bring back, but I would wait to see a 2021 sample size. It may cost us a little bit more, but I would like to see how he takes the next step.
    Last edited by IRNMN; 03-22-2021 at 07:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IRNMN View Post
    Reports today came out they are still looking to do a restructure with Rodgers for those of you wondering if the possibility is still being pursued. However, interesting take below.
    Converting base to signing bonus makes next year's contract unmanageable. They would surely have to extend him or get rid of him at that point. His cap hit next year would be around 45 million.

Quote Originally Posted by ugottabjoshinme View Post
    Converting base to signing bonus makes next year's contract unmanageable. They would surely have to extend him or get rid of him at that point. His cap hit next year would be around 45 million.
    I would agree. I think it's most certainly an extension or some contract alteration. The cap issues that would come from most restructures would be crazy. Even if they wanted to trade him it would be a nightmare of the cap. An extension makes his deal eventually more appealing via trade but also ensures they have him locked in if Love is a bust. Extending Rodgers makes an Adams extension a greater reality it would be pretty difficult to execute without working something out with Rodgers. Overall, with Rodgers, it really seems like they are playing it year to year with the matter. It seems like they're weighing several options, but I agree Kicking the money down the road does little value for the team as the Sportrac source highlighted if it was just a restructure there would really be nothing to negotiate.

The Packers bring Kevin King back on a prove-it deal.

Green Bay CB agrees to 1-yr, $6 mil deal
    I know some people will hate this move, but overall, I think a pretty risk-free deal. They're not paying him all that much, the move signals they're likely still looking to draft or sign someone else. They still once other moves are done will have money to shop for other areas. The move signals a second chance more than a commitment to him.

King needs to improve no doubt about it, but I would also argue frankly, I don't think King is as bad as people have chalked him up to be. Overall, I would say he's an average player who has burst of potential but looks worse than he is because of the timing of his errors. Bringing him back seems to low-key indicate they want to ensure Pettine was or was not a big part of the problem. However, the move seems to indicate they believe in part Pettine was. Obviously, I would say not always, but there were times where Pettine didn't do King or Sullivan in the right spot, other times still on them. I'll be interested to see how they work out the rest of the defensive secondary. The contract figures don't seem to signal commitment, but a willingness to prove himself against competition. Both King and Jackson sink or swim situations this year.

Bigger news would be the move also signals a cap savings move is very close.
    Last edited by IRNMN; 03-23-2021 at 11:13 AM.

I'm ok with king signing. I bet it's incentive heavy too. But last year's for Jackson, king, sullivan. Still have to draft cb but at least we still a decent cb room and not forcing a rookie to start at least right away

What a horseshit move.... hate it... F that. We did not get better this offseason. So frustrating

I don't hate the King signing, but would much rather have had Kyle Fuller for 3M more. I also thought Richard Sherman made a lot of sense. Will be interesting to see what he signs for.

Quote Originally Posted by ugottabjoshinme View Post
    I don't hate the King signing, but would much rather have had Kyle Fuller for 3M more. I also thought Richard Sherman made a lot of sense. Will be interesting to see what he signs for.
    I would actually be on the opposite end of that, but I would concede it's a matter of opinion. For me, though I would rather have King for 3 million cheaper. If you look at where Fuller is now in his career he would only represent a slight upgrade potentially. If we knew we would get the 2018 or prior Fuller then no question I would agree. I was a fan of getting Fuller, but you're paying the guy 50% more, and I don't at Fuller's current state he's 50% more of a player. I would argue the is no way at this point to label either anything more than an average player. Keeping King for me doesn't resolve any chance of them getting another solid player or two where is 9.5 mil may have hindered that. If it was a 9.5 ballpark for a guy like Sherman I would have been all in, but I think Sherman could still net anywhere between 11-14 mil depending on the team and deal length. If Sherman signs for anything less the team got a steal. I wouldn't be shocked to see another veteran corner still be in play so who knows maybe they can still bring in Sherman, Hayward, or someone else.

The biggest thing about the move is that once another cost-cutting move is done most likely with either Rodgers or extending Davante which seems to be the going speculation, but who knows, they're still capable of making a move and there is a chance more players become available as the off-season progresses that or some of the names will still be lingering on the market and value competing for a ring on a one year stint vs. getting paid a little bit more for a potentially losing squad. The market is still moving slow and the slower it moves the more I would argue it favors the Packers in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by IRNMN View Post
    I would actually be on the opposite end of that, but I would concede it's a matter of opinion. For me, though I would rather have King for 3 million cheaper. If you look at where Fuller is now in his career he would only represent a slight upgrade potentially. If we knew we would get the 2018 or prior Fuller then no question I would agree. I was a fan of getting Fuller, but you're paying the guy 50% more, and I don't at Fuller's current state he's 50% more of a player. I would argue the is no way at this point to label either anything more than an average player. Keeping King for me doesn't resolve any chance of them getting another solid player or two where is 9.5 mil may have hindered that. If it was a 9.5 ballpark for a guy like Sherman I would have been all in, but I think Sherman could still net anywhere between 11-14 mil depending on the team and deal length. If Sherman signs for anything less the team got a steal. I wouldn't be shocked to see another veteran corner still be in play so who knows maybe they can still bring in Sherman, Hayward, or someone else.

The biggest thing about the move is that once another cost-cutting move is done most likely with either Rodgers or extending Davante which seems to be the going speculation, but who knows, they're still capable of making a move and there is a chance more players become available as the off-season progresses that or some of the names will still be lingering on the market and value competing for a ring on a one year stint vs. getting paid a little bit more for a potentially losing squad. The market is still moving slow and the slower it moves the more I would argue it favors the Packers in the long run.
    Very good take. Agreed 100% Finally someone that has a rational thought behind it without going off the deep end and losing their mind without giving a complete thought behind their reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by petrey10 View Post
    What a horseshit move.... hate it... F that. We did not get better this offseason. So frustrating
    i am in this group. King has never played 16 games. when he was on a prove it year last year(final year in his contract) he played his normal routine, getting beat, missing games with soft tissue injuries with no INT's. i now question the management in Green Bay. Fuller has played every game so far. the idea of getting a $3 million discount compared to Fuller utterly fails to compare that to date King plays slightly more than 10 games a year. if Green Bay's management thinks we have the talent to win with last years players they need some mass firings. last year this team got numerous breaks playing other teams, could not beat the good teams and played flat several games. jesus christ im pissed!

@TomSilverstein
    ·
    5h
    The #Packers gained $1.34M in cap space by turning $1.675M of K Mason Crosby's salary into a signing bonus and adding three voidable years, according to a source. It allowed them to spread the bonus out over five years.

In another cap saving move, the #Packers reduced S Adrian Amos' base salary by $3.91M, converting that money into a signing bonus. Between the two moves, the #Packers are roughly $8M under the salary, which is how they were able to sign CB Kevin King.
    Tom Silverstein

I really wouldn't be shocked if they dangle Jordan Love for trade bait during the draft. Sounds like a long shot but with Rodgers’s contract and extension being a hot topic, if I were them, I’d seriously consider it to draft up in the draft and maybe take a Parsons or a Surtain. I’d be for it.

Quote Originally Posted by JayZee1981 View Post
    I really wouldn't be shocked if they dangle Jordan Love for trade bait during the draft. Sounds like a long shot but with Rodgers’s contract and extension being a hot topic, if I were them, I’d seriously consider it to draft up in the draft and maybe take a Parsons or a Surtain. I’d be for it.
    probably not going to happen, according to Over The Cap, if you trade Love you are looking at $4,924,620 dead money and you would lose $2,110,195 in cap space this year. 2022 or 2023 would be the more likely year of him getting trade if they are keeping Rodgers Long term.

**** Kevin king. What a joke. This organization clearly has no real intention of trying to win a SB.

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast