Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Offseason 2021

I would argue too that Dafney and also John Lovett early in the season may actually free Deguara for a more versatile role. Though originally drafted to play the TE/h-back spot. I wonder if they move him around a bit more. Sternberger is a big of a weird case because he's been a healthy scratch a few times. The pressure is going to be on him to perform. But at the same time, we see a perfect example of how it takes patience in developing a TE with Tonyan.

I think they've been preparing for life without Lewis when they added Isaac Nauta I really think he was a hopeful stash to get groomed into the role. Nauta is a guy who could step into Lewis's role. Most takes on the guy is a Nauta is an ace blocker, his ability to dictate at the LOS is tremendous. Nauta's physical presence extends to the receiving game as well, where he shows the ability to bully and knock around defenders on his route stems. His value comes as a blocker and checks down option in the passing game. They would need Nauta as the blocker role.

I'm curious what the opinions on Devin Funchess are on whether to keep him or cut him? I don't think there is much chance he makes the team, and would argue cut him, but would ask when do we cut him? He brings much of an upgrade to the WR group, in fact, Lazard brings just about everything he does, but more reliable. His cap hit's not extensive, and cutting him doesn't bring major cap savings, but could be a potential vet minimum type guy or money to pay draft picks. At this point, I'm not sure he beats out EQ and certainly isn't higher on the depth than Lazard or MVS.

I think there is a good case to keep him, at least, until the draft, but I curious what everyone's thought was. I think there could even be a case to keep him up to camp with there being no cost in holding onto Funchess and getting a chance to see what they have during training camp. The only benefit now to cutting him would get the savings before the start of the new league year so his deal doesn't limit our ability to sign another player. I think the chances of him being on the opening day roster are slim.

The second question would be cut or restructure Preston? With the cap now at 180 minimum, this is now a debate rather than a sure thing IMO. If the cap ends up closer to $185 mil the debate becomes more interesting. I think Demovsky's take was pretty good if we add Watt, cut, but if we don't lean restructure. But wondering other thoughts on that.
    Last edited by IRNMN; 02-19-2021 at 02:12 PM.

Kirksey and Wagner cut. Shave another 10 mil off the Green Bay Packers National debt

Nice, saw this coming. Who's next.

Tim Boyle is a RFA, now I don't figure they are going to put a high RFA tag on him but, it is still a decision to make on do they tag him or do they let him walk and let Love back up

Quote Originally Posted by PackerBum9786 View Post
    Tim Boyle is a RFA, now I don't figure they are going to put a high RFA tag on him but, it is still a decision to make on do they tag him or do they let him walk and let Love back up
    You gotta let Love be the backup right?

Quote Originally Posted by IRNMN View Post
    I'm curious what the opinions on Devin Funchess are on whether to keep him or cut him? I don't think there is much chance he makes the team, and would argue cut him, but would ask when do we cut him? He brings much of an upgrade to the WR group, in fact, Lazard brings just about everything he does, but more reliable. His cap hit's not extensive, and cutting him doesn't bring major cap savings, but could be a potential vet minimum type guy or money to pay draft picks. At this point, I'm not sure he beats out EQ and certainly isn't higher on the depth than Lazard or MVS.

I think there is a good case to keep him, at least, until the draft, but I curious what everyone's thought was. I think there could even be a case to keep him up to camp with there being no cost in holding onto Funchess and getting a chance to see what they have during training camp. The only benefit now to cutting him would get the savings before the start of the new league year so his deal doesn't limit our ability to sign another player. I think the chances of him being on the opening day roster are slim.

The second question would be cut or restructure Preston? With the cap now at 180 minimum, this is now a debate rather than a sure thing IMO. If the cap ends up closer to $185 mil the debate becomes more interesting. I think Demovsky's take was pretty good if we add Watt, cut, but if we don't lean restructure. But wondering other thoughts on that.
    I disagree on Preston. He was truly awful last year. Regardless of the cap, I don't think it was a question of whether he gets cut or not. If we designate him as a June 1st cut, we could actually get under the cap with just cutting him. We'd still need to do more, because he'd only get us about $2 mill under the cap, which isn't enough to sign draft picks even, but we would be under cap. I just don't see any way we can keep Preston though. He's alway had some up and down years, but he had more offsides than sacks last year. He got destroyed in the run game. You need 3 pass rushers for sure, but Gary and Z are clearly the top 2. I just can't see how we keep P even at a restuected deal.

I strongly doubt funchess makes the team. That being said, the cap savings isn't huge and it's the same whether we cut him today or in camp. I wouldn't be shocked either way on him. I could see us bringing him to camp to see what he has, but I could also see us just cutting ties right away. He hasn't played for nearly 2 years now. Hard to see how he will be decent.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    I disagree on Preston. He was truly awful last year. Regardless of the cap, I don't think it was a question of whether he gets cut or not. If we designate him as a June 1st cut, we could actually get under the cap with just cutting him. We'd still need to do more, because he'd only get us about $2 mill under the cap, which isn't enough to sign draft picks even, but we would be under cap. I just don't see any way we can keep Preston though. He's alway had some up and down years, but he had more offsides than sacks last year. He got destroyed in the run game. You need 3 pass rushers for sure, but Gary and Z are clearly the top 2. I just can't see how we keep P even at a restuected deal.

I strongly doubt funchess makes the team. That being said, the cap savings isn't huge and it's the same whether we cut him today or in camp. I wouldn't be shocked either way on him. I could see us bringing him to camp to see what he has, but I could also see us just cutting ties right away. He hasn't played for nearly 2 years now. Hard to see how he will be decent.
    The more I look at it I've actually shifted my take on I was focusing on the 21' number for Preston, but after seeing the 2022 savings there should be no reason not to cut him. Cutting him would clearly allow them to shift money to next season and beyond.

I think with Funchess the best case scenario may be he gets to camp looks like he can still play. Likely not having a spot on the roster we can flip him for a conditional draft pick (likely don't), if no suitors then cut him.

According to*Rob Demovsky of ESPN.com, the Packers will almost certainly restructure quarterback*Aaron Rodgers‘ contract in an effort to create additional cap room. The 37-year-old signal-caller is due a $14.7MM base salary in 2021, along with a $6.8MM roster bonus that will come due in March. Green Bay could convert some of that base salary into a signing bonus, a common maneuver that the club already executed with left tackle*David Bakhtiari.
    The move would put them a little over $3 million in free cap. Would also potentially signal a commitment to Rodgers and won now while he is here.

With Lowry likely still restructured or cut, a restructure or cut of Preston, and some time before the season Davante gets an extension. A lot is opening up.
    Last edited by IRNMN; 02-21-2021 at 04:47 PM.

I saw the Dolphins are likely cutting Matt Breida. He could be an interesting change of pace option if we let our RB's walk. Only 25, outside of his one season with the Dolphins he's look pretty solid. He's coming off a down year, but he would be far more familiar with our scheme and have a nice use in this system. He could be a really nice complement to Dillon and wouldn't count against the comp pick count. Certainly worth a look if they're moving on.

Quote Originally Posted by IRNMN View Post
    I saw the Dolphins are likely cutting Matt Breida. He could be an interesting change of pace option if we let our RB's walk. Only 25, outside of his one season with the Dolphins he's look pretty solid. He's coming off a down year, but he would be far more familiar with our scheme and have a nice use in this system. He could be a really nice complement to Dillon and wouldn't count against the comp pick count. Certainly worth a look if they're moving on.
    His injury history is a bit concerning, but he would be a solid vet minimum guy. He feels like a solid after draft type of guy if it falls in a way where we don't draft one, then you sign him.

Quote Originally Posted by petrey10 View Post
    You gotta let Love be the backup right?
    I don't know that is what my question is. do they feel comfortable enough in their development so far of Love to let him be the back up or do they trust Boyle more and Love needs more time?

Quote Originally Posted by PackerBum9786 View Post
    I don't know that is what my question is. do they feel comfortable enough in their development so far of Love to let him be the back up or do they trust Boyle more and Love needs more time?
    You can't compound mistakes, so if love isn't ready, you have to bring Boyle back, but man that wouldn't be a great sign love isn't ready. None of us really know anything about qb development anyways, but not seeing him at all last year just makes this rough. For all we know they could think he's ready to start or could think he'll be out of the league soon, we really don't have a clue. Everyone was rightfully quiet on him all year.

The only thing we know is that Boyle stayed ahead of him last year, but we have no clue what that gap is. Hopefully it was close enough that we can move on from Boyle and save the cash.

Love not being ready this past year, with COVID and no real offseason, means nothing really. I’d hope he’d be ready to be a competent backup this year. Honestly, wasting money on a backup seems dumb to me. We’re a Qb driven team, without Rodgers we’re totally screwed. What good does having a slightly better backup do us?

Reports are packers want to pay Adams making him highest paid wr in nfl.... boy that’s great and all but what’s this all mean for the future of this team.

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast