Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Offseason 2021

Offseason 2021

instead of using the NFCC Game thread, here is where we can talk about all the offseason stuff.

The Packers fired special teams coordinator Shawn Mennenga. Sounds like Pettine was working on a one year deal, so his contract expired. Hopefully that makes it pretty easy to move on from him.

A few nuggets if info I've seen out there.

According to Demovsky, there is a “strong chance” that LaFleur will promote internally to fill the special team's coordinator role for next season with Maurice Drayton — Mennenga’s No. 2 — expected to be the top in-house candidate. Drayton was another holdover from the McCarthy era and has spent the past five years as an assistant special teams coach, including two seasons with the Indianapolis Colts (2016-17).
    As Zach Kruse of Packers Wire pointed out, Brayden Coombs is a name to keep your eyes on moving forward. He was fired by the Lions last month, despite Detroit’s special teams unit ranking third in Gosselin’s rankings, and Green Bay was interested in him prior to hiring Mennenga in 2019.
    Sounds like they have a few candidates already in mind for the ST Coordinator gig. Sound's like they are leaning towards Drayton though.

Corey Linsley thinks his time in Green Bay will be coming to an end. With a possible shrinking cap and many difficult free agency decisions ahead for the Packers, there very well may be a new center snapping the ball to Aaron Rodgers next season.
    Sounds like the decision to move on from Linsley has all but officially been made. Not a major surprise for anyone. Really with money how it is and 3 potential in-house replacements there was little need to bring him back.

No official decisions have been announced, but expect the Packers and Pettine to simply agree to “mutually part ways” and Pettine would save face from truly being fired.
    Probably the best way to go about it. I'm curious who they would bring in if Pettine is not retained. A lot of interesting names out there.

Another piece I saw, I missed the article when posted, but saw this as well.

The negotiations that allowed the 2020 season to proceed included a commitment that the 2021 salary cap will be no lower than $175 million per team. The upcoming negotiations (and it’s negotiated every year) regarding the 2021 salary cap could result in a number significantly higher than $175 million.

Per a league source, the possibility that stadiums will be full for the 2021 season could prompt the league to not tie the hands of teams by dropping the salary cap by more than $23 million per team, from $198.2 million. Although the 2020 season will indeed result in lower revenue than usual, the potential of a return to something normal or close to it plus the coming TV deals may result in the league keeping the cap in the range of $195 million.

I don't get promoting from within for the ST coordinator role. Our ST has been awful forever. Its time for fresh blood. I do think players play a part in how bad our ST group has been lately but I have not witnessed anything from anyone on our ST to think there's good coaching there. Our return units stink and there appear to be no holes anyways. Scott has not improved. Our coverage units are bad. Crosby is the only bright spot and he predates anyone on staff.

Sounds like Drayton officially got the job. Below is his bio.

He worked as the assistant special teams coach for each of the past three seasons (Green Bay in 2018 and the Indianapolis Colts in 2016-17). In 2016, he assisted P Pat McAfee in earning his second career Pro Bowl selection after leading the league in punting average (49.3) and ranking No. 3 in net punting average (42.7). After McAfee retired, Drayton helped P Rigoberto Sanchez finish No. 4 in the NFL in net punting average (42.6) in 2017 and earn a spot on the Pro Football Writers Association All-Rookie team. Drayton was the assistant head coach/defensive coordinator/cornerbacks coach at The Citadel (2014-15), where he played defensive back (1994-98). It was his second stint at his alma mater, having previously worked as a graduate assistant/secondary in 1999 and then coached tight ends/offensive tackles in 2000, wide receivers in 2001, outside linebackers in 2002 and secondary/special teams from 2003-05. He was the secondary coach at Southern Mississippi in 2012, the assistant head coach/special teams/wide receivers coach at Coastal Carolina from 2010-11 and coached special teams/defensive backs at South Carolina State in 2008-09. Drayton spent 2007 as an assistant coach at Goose Creek (S.C.) High School, was the defensive coordinator for the Seinajoki (Finland) Crocodiles of the European Football League in 2006 and was an assistant coach with the Charleston Swamp Foxes (Arena 2) from 2000-02.
    On paper and the past two years haven't given much indication, but maybe it's one of those situations where they think it was players not responding to the voice not so much the scheme. So they're leaning on a change of voice here. If he can get them to a middle-of-the-road ST unit and no longer a liability, I'm all for it. It may be hard to know if the coaching change actually helps, they can do a lot by drafting some ST guys and a legitimate returner. Maybe even bring in some competition for Scott, it worked both times Mason was in a rut.

As most of us hoped Pettite’s contract will not be renewed and he won’t be back. Thank God. Say you the replacement? Suggestions

rumors are that MLF is looking outside the organization but, the thought is Jerry Gray could get the nod.

Jerry Gray is my choice. He’s done wonders with Alexander, Amos and Savage. Also has experience as a DC and did a great job in Buffalo.

Gray would be an internal hire without being an internal hire as he's been around the block with other clubs.

Being a major contender and some of the talent on the roster they're going to basically get whoever they want. Sure there will ample interest.
    Last edited by IRNMN; 01-30-2021 at 01:53 AM.

Weird and very hard to do but I’d like a Lafluer type higher. Someone young and someone who can “fit in” with the guys like MLF has. Pettine just didn’t feel like a good fit with the current staff.

Idk who that would be. No clue on young D minds out there. But Pettine was a hangover from the McCarthy era that I just think didn’t help us much.

We need fresh new out of the box thinker who can use what we got to hopefully bring some consistency to the defense.

I actually don't hate going the other direction. Not sure he's looking for a coordinator role, but I'd consider Marvin Lewis in the short term. He'd be a steadying presence and at his age, it would also allow us to potentially name someone like Grey as an assistant HC and basically make him the next DC I'm waiting.

Jim Leonard seems like the splashy and potentially innovative hire.

That actually might be Gray he's worked with Mike Pettine, Mike Zimmer, Gregg Williams, Dan Quinn and the Legion of boom, and has DC experience.

Other internal option Mike Smith. Really unless you're getting a Wade Phillips or Leonard it may be hard to argue the best options are not already internally.

Not that we needed affirmation Rodgers is going no where. Seeing the huge price LA paid for Stafford, reports are they inquired first about Rodgers to be told he's not available.

Update: Packers deny Rams made contact.
    Last edited by IRNMN; 01-31-2021 at 11:02 PM.

I have no doubt the rams reached out. Not surprised the Packers want to squash any rumors so aaron doesn't get mad. But if the rams even thought there was a 0.01% chance Rodgers would get traded, they'd be fools to not reach out before making a huge deal for a qb.

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast