Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Results 91 to 103 of 103

Thread: Offseason 2021

  1. #91
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    iowa
    Posts
    9,148
    Quote Originally Posted by petrey10 View Post
    Reports are packers want to pay Adams making him highest paid wr in nfl.... boy that’s great and all but what’s this all mean for the future of this team.
    most likely what it will do is backload the contract and make it easy to cut if need be down the line and will probably open more money up this year.

  2. #92
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    iowa
    Posts
    9,148
    According to Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald, when Jones hits the market the Miami Dolphins will be one of the teams pursuing him.

    The report says the interest is mutual with Jones with the Dolphins among the teams he’d consider signing with this offseason
    https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...s-aaron-jones/

  3. #93
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    12,579
    Quote Originally Posted by PackerBum9786 View Post
    Semi unrelated, but this is why tampering 9n sports is so dumb. Dolphins and Jones aren't allowed to have contact, yet it's public knowledge that Miami is interested and he would consider Miami. Don't know why they don't just stop the charade and let teams and players start talking immediately after the super bowl. I understand waiting until the league year to actually put own to paper, but the pretend we aren't talking to players stuff is dumb.

  4. #94
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Seoul, South Korea
    Posts
    7,856
    I'm sure they do something to address it, but if they sign Jones it limits their ability to fix their OL. If Miami is his destination then Jones would be going from one of the statistically better OL to one of the worst. At the same time, I don't doubt the report either. I don't think unless Jones lands in a few select spots he's going to produce at the same level. Some reports have him getting close to $15 mil and if that's the case let him walk and it sounds like a team-friendly, but well-paying deal was offered and he passed.

    RE: Franchise Tag
    At the same time though they haven't used the franchise tag since Ryan Pickett. I'm beginning to wonder if they tag him. I've been a bit skeptical of doing so, and I know it was mentioned a few post ago, but there continues to be a lot of reports seem to indicate they are very much considering using the tag on Jones and the reports don't seem to be going away of the possibility. I think this is going to be an interesting story to watch. The cap hit for Jones would be a low rate, and it would be $8 mil. The tag is a major risk.

    Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network suggests that because this year’s franchise tag value for running backs is so low ($8MM), the Packers may be willing to carry that cost on their books if it means keeping Jones in the fold for at least one more year.
    On the same note, I'm not breaking the bank to bring him back either. I think better money could be spent trusting AJ Dillon and draft picks and uses the spare money to add other weapons either at receiver, OL, or on defense.
    Last edited by IRNMN; Yesterday at 03:17 PM.

  5. #95
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Seoul, South Korea
    Posts
    7,856
    Not much of a shock, but sounds mostly official today:

    According to Bill Huber of Sports Illustrated, the Packers and All-Pro Corey Linsley haven’t had any contact since the end of the season, driving home the expectation that Linsley – a starter at center for the Packers over the last seven seasons – will move on during free agency.
    I think overall still in a good spot on the OL Bak-Jenkins-Patrick/Hanson-Runyan/Patrick/Stepaniak-Turner likely will see some guys added in the draft. I think unless they really like an OL guy we hold firm on the general trend on drafting OL and develop. Perhaps add a cheap depth vet especially maybe if you're unsure of if Bak is going to be ready in week 1.

  6. #96
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    12,579
    Quote Originally Posted by IRNMN View Post
    I'm sure they do something to address it, but if they sign Jones it limits their ability to fix their OL. If Miami is his destination then Jones would be going from one of the statistically better OL to one of the worst. At the same time, I don't doubt the report either. I don't think unless Jones lands in a few select spots he's going to produce at the same level. Some reports have him getting close to $15 mil and if that's the case let him walk and it sounds like a team-friendly, but well-paying deal was offered and he passed.

    RE: Franchise Tag
    At the same time though they haven't used the franchise tag since Ryan Pickett. I'm beginning to wonder if they tag him. I've been a bit skeptical of doing so, and I know it was mentioned a few post ago, but there continues to be a lot of reports seem to indicate they are very much considering using the tag on Jones and the reports don't seem to be going away of the possibility. I think this is going to be an interesting story to watch. The cap hit for Jones would be a low rate, and it would be $8 mil. The tag is a major risk.



    On the same note, I'm not breaking the bank to bring him back either. I think better money could be spent trusting AJ Dillon and draft picks and uses the spare money to add other weapons either at receiver, OL, or on defense.
    I said from the beginning drafting Dillon that early only makes sense if you let Jones walk. It sounds like we've put some offers in front of Jones, but I agree if he's looking to maximize his earnings, we shouldn't be the ones to do that. I'll never blame a guy, especially a RB, from chasing cash, but 2nd RB contracts have a super low hit rate.

    I talked to a buddy about this too, but I'd be fine spending a 2nd or 3rd round pick at RB every 3 or so years and keep the position cheap. And in the in-between years, I'd take a RB somewhere in the 4th or later just about every year in hopes of hitting a Jones.

    I used to be of the camp that RBs aren't that important. I've shifted that a bit that RBs are important, but it's possibly the easiest position to transition to and they fall off the fastest. So id rather keep the position cheap and try to fill it with a steady cycle of rookie contract guys than pay one.

  7. #97
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Seoul, South Korea
    Posts
    7,856
    Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    I said from the beginning drafting Dillon that early only makes sense if you let Jones walk. It sounds like we've put some offers in front of Jones, but I agree if he's looking to maximize his earnings, we shouldn't be the ones to do that. I'll never blame a guy, especially a RB, from chasing cash, but 2nd RB contracts have a super low hit rate.

    I talked to a buddy about this too, but I'd be fine spending a 2nd or 3rd round pick at RB every 3 or so years and keep the position cheap. And in the in-between years, I'd take a RB somewhere in the 4th or later just about every year in hopes of hitting a Jones.

    I used to be of the camp that RBs aren't that important. I've shifted that a bit that RBs are important, but it's possibly the easiest position to transition to and they fall off the fastest. So id rather keep the position cheap and try to fill it with a steady cycle of rookie contract guys than pay one.
    I think overall too we can get good production from Dillon as a runner. Dillon can be explosive, but I've noticed he's more power initially and when he hits the second gear can burn people with his speed. Given the OL talent, I wouldn't be shocked to see Dillon match the rushing production from Jones. No way of saying what kind of receiver he will be, but given the number of h-backs we have and the high selection of Deguara last year you would think a lot of the receiving production can be made there, but I think we could make that production up with WR/TE's as well. We could go along way by adding a true slot. I'm really interested in them looking at guys like Michael Carter, Jemar Jefferson, Khalil Herbert type guys. I think any of those three-plus Dillon could be an interesting backfield. Maybe even consider a gadget player. One thing I will be curious to see is if Dillon can become that "closer" player we relied on Jones to be.

  8. #98
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Seoul, South Korea
    Posts
    7,856
    On the Watt chase, we continue to be a contender. Given the fact, there are still ways to create money on this roster and it seems they are fairly content in letting some higher-priced vets walk IE Linsley and Jones. It still remains theoretically possible. It's one of those it's possible until he signs elsewhere scenarios.

    Veteran NFL reporter John Clayton believes the Green Bay Packers are one of the favorites to sign free agent defensive lineman J.J. Watt.

    Clayton ruled out the Pittsburgh Steelers as a realistic landing spot and identified the Packers, Tennessee Titans and Buffalo Bills as the favorites to get Watt, with the Las Vegas Raiders as another potential option.
    Even if he doesn't sign with us this has to be a pretty compelling location for cap casualty vets who are trying to get a ring and may be willing to sign for a lower price to have that chance. It should be a really interesting off-season. Because if I'm not mistaken all the vets that are cut candidates we wouldn't be obligated to cut right away and could see how the off-season begins to play out.

  9. #99
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    12,579
    I saw Jurrell Casey was let go today as well. He's coming off an injury and isn't Watt, but that's the type of guy who may be forced to take a fairly small deal to prove he can still play. Obviously Watt would be a huge get, but grabbing some Casey types could make a huge difference.

    Saw a few folks on Twitter indicate Kyler Fackerall may get let go by NYG. That's another guy that makes sense if he comes on a small deal. And those are the moves that make sense to me. Let Gary take over most of P's snaps but swap Preston out for Kyler and save $6.5 mill or so. Not a sexy move but it's decent insurance and frees up cash.

  10. #100
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Seoul, South Korea
    Posts
    7,856
    He would be a nice addition to the DL a quality player who can get after the QB. When healthy a safe bet for 45 tackles, about 4-5 sacks, and double-digit QB hits. Pretty sure tackler as well. Very worst case he is excellent veteran depth. If he can stay healthy Casey would be a great addition.

    I'm neutral on considering Fackrell returning I would almost lean toward adding via the draft. Edge rush is a spot I think they need to continue to add and develop bodies there. Fackrell certainly could be a serviceable stopgap and if for one year I wouldn't hate the dealt. I'm interested to see where in the development of guys like Garvin and Ramsey, I don't think they are going to be starred by any stretch of the imagination, but Ramsey could develop into just as good as player Fackrell was and I think Garvin has the potential to develop into a serviceable starter/package rusher IE both could be solid depth. Adding Fackrell and see where everyone stands at camp as well. Pretty low-risk move.

  11. #101
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    951
    We talked about restructures on Rodgers, how about if he wants to win Super Bowls, he makes Tom Brady money. Tom's average salary over 21 years is $12,549,609. Now you wanna talk keeping your guys and getting good free agents, holy crap, no wonder why he won so many Super bowls.

  12. #102
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    12,579
    Quote Originally Posted by Pcs Papa View Post
    We talked about restructures on Rodgers, how about if he wants to win Super Bowls, he makes Tom Brady money. Tom's average salary over 21 years is $12,549,609. Now you wanna talk keeping your guys and getting good free agents, holy crap, no wonder why he won so many Super bowls.
    Yea, it's something that gets talked about but not nearly enough. Brady gave up a ton of cash. I wouldnt expect other guys to do that, nor should they. But it sure helps when you're an NFL star and your spouse has a net worth 2.5 times more than yours is.

  13. #103
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    12,579
    Quote Originally Posted by IRNMN View Post
    He would be a nice addition to the DL a quality player who can get after the QB. When healthy a safe bet for 45 tackles, about 4-5 sacks, and double-digit QB hits. Pretty sure tackler as well. Very worst case he is excellent veteran depth. If he can stay healthy Casey would be a great addition.

    I'm neutral on considering Fackrell returning I would almost lean toward adding via the draft. Edge rush is a spot I think they need to continue to add and develop bodies there. Fackrell certainly could be a serviceable stopgap and if for one year I wouldn't hate the dealt. I'm interested to see where in the development of guys like Garvin and Ramsey, I don't think they are going to be starred by any stretch of the imagination, but Ramsey could develop into just as good as player Fackrell was and I think Garvin has the potential to develop into a serviceable starter/package rusher IE both could be solid depth. Adding Fackrell and see where everyone stands at camp as well. Pretty low-risk move.

    I wouldn't write off Garvin or a draft pick either, but I'd be pretty nervous going into camp with Garvin, Ramsey and a mid round pick behind Gary and Smith. Weve actually been somewhat healthy lately, but it's those types of signings that can save a season. If you could guarantee me Smith and Gary each play at least 14 games next year, I'd be fine rolling Garvin, Ramsey and a pick out there. But if Fackerall or a different vet can be had for around $2 mill or so, I'd much prefer that guy to be your 3rd just in case of injury. That being said, our defensive strategy could look very different for all we know though too.

    Also, Ive been saying it for years but if we do stay with a similar system to what we currently run, I'd love to truly draft a speed guy. Gary is fast, but isn't really a speed rusher. Smith is great but also not a speed guy. Adding a speed guy off the edge could be a great compliment to what we have, especially since we wouldmt need him to play a lot of run downs.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •