Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Detroit lions finalizing deal to hire Anthony Lynn as offensive coordinator

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2021/...ve-coordinator

Just minutes after the team officially announced that Aaron Glenn will be the next defensive coordinator, reports hit Twitter that the Detroit Lions have settled on their next offensive coordinator as well.

As first reported by The Athleticís Michael Lombardi, the Lions are finalizing a deal to hire former Los Angeles Chargers head coach Anthony Lynn as the teamís next offensive coordinator.

Lynn served as the Chargersí head coach for the past four seasons, leading the team to a 33-31 record and a 1-1 record in the postseason.

Prior to his time with the Chargers heís been in the NFL coaching ranks since 2000. Heís served as a running backs coach for the Cowboys, Browns, Jets and Bills. He also served as the Billsí offensive coordinator back in 2016.

Itís worth noting that like head coach Dan Campbell, Lynn comes from the Bill Parcells coaching tree. With a both a coaching and playing background at running back, it will be interesting to see if he brings a run-first attitude to Detroit.

https://www.mlive.com/lions/2021/01/...ordinator.html

ALLEN PARK -- The Detroit Lions will reportedly hire former Chargers coach Anthony Lynn as their offensive coordinator per multiple reports.

ESPNís Adam Schefter reports Lynn had other options but wanted to work with new Lions coach Dan Campbell and defensive coordinator Aaron Glenn. The Lions made Glennís hiring official over the weekend, bringing Campbellís staff into focus. Campbell and Glenn each played in Dallas while Lynn was the Cowboys running backs coach, bringing everything full circle for the trio.

This news is likely to be overshadowed by the breaking reports that Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford has requested a trade, though. Tom Pelissero of the NFL Network was the first to report Staffordís trade request, saying the Lions will start exploring deals in the coming weeks. For more on the Stafford news, click here.

Related: Detroit Lions reportedly agree to trade Matthew Stafford in mutual parting of ways

Lynnís reported hiring as offensive coordinator remains an impressive get for a first-year coach, especially for an offense potentially starting from scratch at the gameís most premium position. The Chargers had their issues, but Lynnís play-calling was never at the top of those lists. After four seasons in Los Angeles, he was fired, leading the Chargers to a 33-31 record, not to mention going 1-1 in the postseason. Thatís one more playoff win than the Lions have enjoyed in nearly 30 years. Lynn replaces Darrell Bevell, the former Lions interim coach and offensive coordinator, who will likely take over Urban Meyerís offense in Jacksonville.

Lynn was the offensive coordinator in Buffalo for one season before landing in LA, coaching running backs for the Jets, Browns, Cowboys, Bills and Jaguars from 2003-2015. Lynn also held assistant head coach duties while in New York and Buffalo. He also was a six-year running back, playing for the Broncos and 49ers in the 1990s.

Chargers quarterback Justin Herbert was fantastic in his rookie season operating under Lynnís lead. Herbert threw for 4,336 yards with 31 touchdowns and only 10 interceptions. The quarterback broke the NFLís rookie passing records for yards, touchdowns and completions. In terms of a recent track record in charge of a young quarterback, it doesnít get much better than Lynn and Chargers quarterback coach Pep Hamiltonís.

The Chargers went 7-9 in 2020, ranking in the top 10 in passing and 18th on the ground. Austin Ekeler developed into one of the more versatile running backs in the league under Lynn, something to keep in note when thinking of Lions running back DíAndre Swift. The second-round rookie showed flashes when on the field and is an early breakout candidate for Year 2 in Detroit. Ekeler is one year removed from catching 93 passes for 993 yards, so Detroitís new offensive coordinator knows how to use his running backs.

Column: New Lions coach Dan Campbell gets it, which is as good a start as any

Glennís hiring to run the defense was announced by the team right before the Stafford news broke. The former Saints defensive backs coach reportedly chose the Lions over Chicago and Jacksonville to follow Campbell from New Orleans. Glenn arrived in New Orleans the same season Campbell did in 2016, and the two played together while in Dallas back in 2005. Heís much more than just a familiar face, though, helping lead one of the best pass defenses in the league. The Saints ranked third in terms of stopping the pass per DVOA, a metric used to track efficiency.

Detroit was also expected to hire Giff Smith as defensive line coach, but the Detroit Free Press reports that deal is no more.
    Last edited by Lionsfanfromsac; 01-23-2021 at 10:00 PM.
    [img] [/img]
    ^Thanks for the memories #9^

click here to join the Lions Forum
    SE7EN time OTT Winner#1,#6,#10,#12, #14, #24 & #27
    Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    LFFS is the master at going from goofball to boss

I really hope they don't bring a run first attitude to Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by LionsFan..LOL View Post
    Although his offense last year with the Chargers passed quite a bit and Herbert had a great season. Herbert threw for 4,336 yards . He also threw 31 TDs.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

2016 PSD LIONS FORUM COMEBACK POSTER OF THE YEAR

Favorite Teams
    Detroit Red Wings
    Detroit Lions Welcome to Detroit Brad Holmes and Welcome Back DCam aka The Dude. Thanks for the Memories Stafford.
    Detroit Tigers Welcome to Detroit AJ Hinch!
    North Carolina Tarheels Mens Basketball
    Florida State Seminoles Welcome to Tallahassee Mike Norvell!

I heard he didnít want Herbert but rather Tyrod Taylor.... if thatís true.... then Iím a bit worried
    [img] [/img]

Quote Originally Posted by Lionsfanfromsac View Post
    I heard he didnít want Herbert but rather Tyrod Taylor.... if thatís true.... then Iím a bit worried
    I'm not worried, he shouldn't be part of the draft equation.
    2017 DRAFT GAME CHAMPION SUPREME!

This isn't Dan C's philosophy

Said if we are getting yards we will run it 10 straight times or pass it 10 straight times it doesn't matter

also saying we will find matchups to put our best players vs their worst players

Quote Originally Posted by rocket View Post
    This isn't Dan C's philosophy

Said if we are getting yards we will run it 10 straight times or pass it 10 straight times it doesn't matter

also saying we will find matchups to put our best players vs their worst players
    I do like the idea of using Swift in the vein of Kamara/Ekeler.

Not sure he's as good as either of those guys, but if we use him like that it'll probably be pretty successful.

Quote Originally Posted by lizardking13 View Post
    Not sure he's as good as either of those guys, but if we use him like that it'll probably be pretty successful.
    its hard to say but the big play ability is there he averaged more yards per carry than Chubb and Sony Michel so the playmaking is there. I think Swift is going to a pretty good back if he can stay healthy.
    2017 DRAFT GAME CHAMPION SUPREME!

i loved him saying we'll put Swift in the slot vs a Will LB

must transparency we've ever got from a coach

Quote Originally Posted by lizardking13 View Post
    Swift is his own back he's dynamic

Hurdling 2 players in one play is something else

My understanding was that he didn't want to start Herbert that early. Without any offseason workouts plus no preseason games he wanted him to learn behind Tyrod and then bring in after their bye week. Since Tyrod got a punctured lung due from the team doctor giving him a pain injection for crack ribs right before week 2 game. If that never happen Tyrod would have been the QB at least up until the bye week.

Favorite Teams
    Detroit Red Wings
    Detroit Lions Welcome to Detroit Brad Holmes and Welcome Back DCam aka The Dude. Thanks for the Memories Stafford.

Quote Originally Posted by vader817 View Post
    My understanding was that he didn't want to start Herbert that early. Without any offseason workouts plus no preseason games he wanted him to learn behind Tyrod and then bring in after their bye week. Since Tyrod got a punctured lung due from the team doctor giving him a pain injection for crack ribs right before week 2 game. If that never happen Tyrod would have been the QB at least up until the bye week.
    Thatís crazy to think about... Charger fans should send the team doctor a thank you card.
    [img] [/img]

Can you guys find anything that makes this official? Itís not on the team website and I canít find anything online. Just curious.
    [img] [/img]

Can you guys find anything that makes this official? Itís not on the team website and I canít find anything online. Just curious.
    I can't find anything either.

Favorite Teams
    Detroit Red Wings

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast