Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Mitchell Robinson

Rumors are that the Knicks considered extending Mitchell Robinson over the summer, and would have if they landed another big money FA, but once they struck out they decided to keep the books clean for another FA run in 2021. I believe the rumor was something around 16M per year.

Under Thibs Mitch is transforming before our very eyes, rarely getting into consistent foul trouble, anchoring a legitimate top 5 defense. And he clearly still has so much untapped potential.

How much are you willing to pay Mitchell Robinson? Given his agent maneuvering, I think he is gearing up to get PAID. I believe he is an RFA. Do we give him a Bam Adebayo level deal? 20M per? Do we let him test FA or just lock him up? What are your thoughts on the best way to handle Mitch and his contract.

My thoughts are, we have very clean books, we should pay the man. He's young and will be hopefully Thibs young defensive star for a long time. He can be our Noah in that regard. Make defense the identity of this team and that all starts with Big Mitch. I wouldn't let this devolve into a KP situation.

Pay the man. Mitch is turning into the Rudy Gobert-lite that we always wanted him to be.

I think we def will pay him as he is showing he can play big minutes without getting into foul trouble

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Much improved. No reason not to keep him around (unless the asking price gets ridiculous)

always loved mitch since the day we drafted him, really thought the Lakers were going to take him in the late first.

that said one would hope the 16m is not correct, it's still a business and he is due 1.9m next year, so you offer him around 12-13m which is about right for what he brings right now.

He's great, and I'm probably one of his biggest fans, but he has some glaring weaknesses as well, his BB IQ is not strong, he has weak hands, doesn't even look at the basket, terrible passer unless he's flipping the ball to someone, and has yet to shot that is not under rim. Now is not the time to overpay when you control him for the rest of this year and all of next.

His agent would be a fool not to take an extra 10-11m next season, because if he asks to much you simply hold out and he risks injury or not getting that kind of money and only gets paid less than 2m next year.

Mitch has taken peanuts I highly doubt he turns down 12m making him 10m more just for next season. it would take almost 3 full season just to break even not taking the12m next year.

Cross that bridge when its time. Now just don't get hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by still a fan View Post
    always loved mitch since the day we drafted him, really thought the Lakers were going to take him in the late first.

that said one would hope the 16m is not correct, it's still a business and he is due 1.9m next year, so you offer him around 12-13m which is about right for what he brings right now.

He's great, and I'm probably one of his biggest fans, but he has some glaring weaknesses as well, his BB IQ is not strong, he has weak hands, doesn't even look at the basket, terrible passer unless he's flipping the ball to someone, and has yet to shot that is not under rim. Now is not the time to overpay when you control him for the rest of this year and all of next.

His agent would be a fool not to take an extra 10-11m next season, because if he asks to much you simply hold out and he risks injury or not getting that kind of money and only gets paid less than 2m next year.

Mitch has taken peanuts I highly doubt he turns down 12m making him 10m more just for next season. it would take almost 3 full season just to break even not taking the12m next year.

Teams spend dumb money and Mitch has seen it he wants to get paid why do you think he's switching agents faster then Dolan swaps his coaches and GM's.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

FWIW, this looks like the reported offer:

Per SNY's Ian Begley, the Knicks gave "internal consideration" to signing Robinson to a long-term contract in the range of "four years, $53 million":
    I would think his price has gone up rather significantly and he might be a 20M player now at least. Am I crazy for thinking that? Look at some of the contracts that were handed out this past offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by D-Leethal View Post

I would think his price has gone up rather significantly and he might be a 20M player now at least. Am I crazy for thinking that? Look at some of the contracts that were handed out this past offseason.
    20 per is high IMO. I think 10-15 per is fair for both sides. Considering heís still extremely limited offensively, and hasnít shown much growth

Gobert has pretty much all the same flaws you mentioned and dude just got 200M.

I also think you are underclubbing the sensitive nature of his situation. He's fired a bunch of agents, there is plenty of noise about his unhappiness with his reps for the contract he is currently locked up on. He sees his teammates that can't even get off the bench making 4-5x as much as him. I think he's going to want to be compensated for the steal of a contract he's been on.

I think we should give him a GENEROUS extension to have him avoid RFA and to avoid a KP situation.

FWIW, this was posted by some dude affiliated with Knicks Film School.

@krispursiainen
    I'm hearing that there isn't much confidence within Mitchell Robinson's camp that he'll sign an extension. Someone familiar with the situation informed me that this might be his last year with the Knicks as things stand.

Hopefully the two sides are able to work something out...

My read is that any chatter about him being unhappy and/or not wanting to sign an extension is posturing for a payday. But either way, I'll reiterate I don't think we should risk another KP situation. Pay the man.

Quote Originally Posted by D-Leethal View Post

Now from a business stand point, you own him for 1.9m, he has risks of getting hurt and never seeing another dime. You think the Knicks FO won't tell his agent that and Mitch that. We most definitely have the upper hand over the competition who cannot even talk to him to after next season is completed.

In your example it would take 2 years for Mitch to make up the money on what a 3 year deal, how stupid would he be, well his agent who gets a % of that, you think his new agents are going to want to wait another year and them to risk injury and then get nothing?

Mitch has weaknesses, he's not close to worth 20m, i'll just agree to disagree, that number Begley had was just about what I said, his value hasn't increased that much in 16 games tbh.......his defensive stats from last ear are way down have you noticed? He is still can't even look at the basket.

Sabonis got 17m to start, Mitch is not close to that talent. I'll stick at the 13m range and the Pacers waited on Sabonis, Mitch still has that one more year at 1.9m........that is so valuable for the team.

Now from a business stand point, you own him for 1.9m, he has risks of getting hurt and never seeing another dime. You think the Knicks FO won't tell his agent that and Mitch that. We most definitely have the upper hand over the competition who cannot even talk to him to after next season is completed.

In your example it would take 2 years for Mitch to make up the money on what a 3 year deal, how stupid would he be, well his agent who gets a % of that, you think his new agents are going to want to wait another year and them to risk injury and then get nothing?

Mitch has weaknesses, he's not close to worth 20m, i'll just agree to disagree, that number Begley had was just about what I said, his value hasn't increased that much in 16 games tbh.......his defensive stats from last ear are way down have you noticed? He is still can't even look at the basket.

Sabonis got 17m to start, Mitch is not close to that talent. I'll stick at the 13m range and the Pacers waited on Sabonis, Mitch still has that one more year at 1.9m........that is so valuable for the team.
    I don't think defensive stats like blocks matter nearly as much as the team defense when it comes to an anchor at C. Are his advanced defensive stats down? Mitch has clearly grown a ton on the defensive end, he's just not flying all over the place anymore which is a good thing. He's poised and is playing with a very high IQ on that end. And the Knicks are a top defense. That's gonna drive his price up as it should more than blocks.

Sabonis signed that contract while playing a much lesser role, putting up much lesser stats, than he is now. Not really a great comparison. He was a 25MPG player when he signed that deal. He would get maxed now.

Offer him an extension midway through the season. 4/55. Maybe up it a bit. If he passes, he was never trying to extend anyway, wind up paying regardless, just let it play out

I would start at 4/80 and see what happens. I think you lowball him too much and the whole situation could go sideways. I recall everyone here including Stilla and myself saying we had KP by the balls because he would never sign the QO and we had all the leverage. This sounds all too familiar.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast