Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    How many teams (and which teams specifically) are willing to pay Dak $41M/per right now. If the Cowboys just let him walk and he hits free agency, whoís paying him that much this off season?
    Disregarding back-of-the-contract years that are only chaff to increase the average, nobody will pay that because no QB gets paid that.

But if Dak hits free agency, he will get what the market bears, which the Cowboys seem to be unwilling to pay him.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamba42 View Post
    I think that Mr.B and Mariner have it right: apply a tag that allows you to match and let Dak go out there and see what he is worth.
    That ship has sailed because even the non-exclusive franchise tag in the 2nd year a player is tagged counts as 120% the previous year's salary (same money-wise as a 2nd exclusive tag), so if I'm Dak I'll sign that immediately. $37.7 million in a year when the cap shrinks, then become a free agent when the cap increases again? Yes, sir!

I guess reading more on the non-exclusive tag, Dak could still just sign the 1 year deal with Dallas at $37M instead of a long term with with another team. Effectively still putting Dallas in a tough position. So, that idea isn't as great as I thought.

Washington did it with Cousins but he just signed the tag deal.
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    Not only did his defense get dismantled so did his OL. Thatís the problem heís having. Any elite QB would have had trouble winning with the team Wilson had last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Funny how injuries matter for some.

Quote Originally Posted by QB_Eagles View Post
    Disregarding back-of-the-contract years that are only chaff to increase the average, nobody will pay that because no QB gets paid that.

But if Dak hits free agency, he will get what the market bears, which the Cowboys seem to be unwilling to pay him.
    Without knowing exactly what Dak is asking for you have no idea if the cowboys are willing to pay market value.

That ship has sailed because even the non-exclusive franchise tag in the 2nd year a player is tagged counts as 120% the previous year's salary (same money-wise as a 2nd exclusive tag), so if I'm Dak I'll sign that immediately. $37.7 million in a year when the cap shrinks, then become a free agent when the cap increases again? Yes, sir!
    Itís funny cause a lot of people are saying he shouldnít sign the tag right away so he canít be traded. The chances of the cowboys rescinding the tag are slim.

If Dak signs a 3 year deal at 41 million that is exactly what he will get payed. Sure there might be a signing bonus and the first year might have a lower cap number or a smaller base salary but make no mistake he will pocket 123 million in that scenario in the 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by mariner4life View Post
    Itís funny cause a lot of people are saying he shouldnít sign the tag right away so he canít be traded. The chances of the cowboys rescinding the tag are slim.
    Rescinding is irrelevant. As soon as the tag is offered, that's $37.7 million fully guaranteed in a year when the cap shrinks. You'd be an idiot to decline that even if you might end up getting traded.

Without knowing exactly what Dak is asking for you have no idea if the cowboys are willing to pay market value.
    They aren't offering the market rate given the contract proposals they leaked.

Highest leaked offer was what -- 5 years, $35 million average, $110 million guaranteed?

In free agency, Dak can probably get 3 years, $110+ million fully guaranteed, i.e. the Cousins deal adjusted for inflation.

If Dak signs a 3 year deal at 41 million that is exactly what he will get payed. Sure there might be a signing bonus and the first year might have a lower cap number or a smaller base salary but make no mistake he will pocket 123 million in that scenario in the 3 years.
    Depends on what the guarantees are. Like I said using Mahomes' contract as reference is kinda silly because there are barely any guarantees left from 2023 onward, and the average for the actually guaranteed years is like $31.5 million. 2023 has a huge cap hit useful for re-negotiation, but if Mahomes suffers a career-ending injury, he isn't seeing any of the remaining $390 million.
    Last edited by QB_Eagles; 03-02-2021 at 04:30 PM.

I didnít say decline the tag. I said thereís no hurry to sign it. In fact itís probably more strategic to wait a bit.

I didnít say decline the tag. I said thereís no hurry to sign it. In fact itís probably more strategic to wait a bit.
    Why?

Why?
    You canít be traded if your not signed. It also puts some added pressure to get the deal done by July with the threat of a holdout. ( unlikely in this case) Plus you can skip some of the offseason stuff and basically come back when he wants.

You canít be traded if your not signed. It also puts some added pressure to get the deal done by July with the threat of a holdout. ( unlikely in this case) Plus you can skip some of the offseason stuff and basically come back when he wants.
    Dak's agent seems pretty smart so I doubt he would advise such a move; it'll only invite the Cowboys to rescind the tag after all the other teams figured out their QB positions and the market has dried up.

Dak's agent seems pretty smart so I doubt he would advise such a move; it'll only invite the Cowboys to rescind the tag after all the other teams figured out their QB positions and the market has dried up.
    I guess his agent isnít so smart then cause he waited till late June to sign it last year.

I guess his agent isnít so smart then cause he waited till late June to sign it last year.
    That was the exclusive tag though, so he couldnít negotiate with other teams. Right?

That was the exclusive tag though, so he couldnít negotiate with other teams. Right?
    Correct

Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast