Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Who do you want leading off and why?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Springer

6 50.00%
  • Biggio

6 50.00%
  • Bichette

0 0%
  • Other

0 0%
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Who Leads Off?

Biggio's stats as either lead-off or starting an inning, not so impressive. As #8 or #9th, deadly and can use his speed to steal bases for the top of the order. He's also good with RISP so I go back to my 9th or 7th spot.

[IMG]
    host image online free[/IMG]
    Last edited by Chaotic98; 01-25-2021 at 05:00 PM.

Why not bat him 3rd if he was posting a near 900 ops in that stats that were posted earlier

Quote Originally Posted by Raps18-19 Champ View Post
    Why not bat him 3rd if he was posting a near 900 ops in that stats that were posted earlier
    Because Biggio isn't as good a lead-off hitter as we think and stats depict.

If I am reading correctly, does that mean when he leads off the game or starts the inning, he does bad but if he is hitting forst in the lineup, his OPS is 823?

Quote Originally Posted by Raps18-19 Champ View Post
    If I am reading correctly, does that mean when he leads off the game or starts the inning, he does bad but if he is hitting forst in the lineup, his OPS is 823?
    Correct. As long as he doesn't lead off the game or an inning he has a great OPS.

In that case I am fine with him batting #1. He will still be in a position to be on base behind the oower hitters while getting more at bats.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic98 View Post
    Because Biggio isn't as good a lead-off hitter as we think and stats depict.
    His numbers leading off games are pretty bad. It's just that he's amongst names like Tim Anderson, Mike Trout and Jose Abreu in runs. I want a guy who scores that many runs batting a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Facts can be hypothetical.

So you want to take up to 162 first inning PA's in front of our 2 best hitters and punt them? His numbers are good while batting first because he did so well the rest of the PA's when he didnt have to lead off. The one thing a manager can decide early on is the order in the first inning to try and score a run and you want to choose the guy that gets on base less than 27% of the time when he leads off the game? Not put him in a position to be the most successful?

I think I'd rather hit Biggio third than first, but for the team to have the best chance of scoring early :

Springer
    Biggio
    Bichette

work better than:

Biggio
    Springer
    Bichette

Springer actually gets worse as you drop him down the lineup. So I don't really want to hit him 3rd either.

Now, whether or not Biggio is the best choice to hit 2nd is a whole other argument. His .853 OPS in the 2 hole is nice, and he does do things well that helps help score runs like draw walks and run the base well. But could they do even better? They dont bunt as a team, and Biggio doesn't steal that many bases for that to really matter very much. What if they went with a top 7 of:

Springer
    Bichette
    Tellez
    Hernandez
    Vlad
    Gurriel
    Biggio

Can always start the season that way and adjust as the season goes on. It dors seem kinda trivial that we shouldnt bat him #1 because he doesnt get gets to start a game. You put him there because more often than not, hes someone who will work the count and get on base for a larger sample size.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic98 View Post
    Correct. As long as he doesn't lead off the game or an inning he has a great OPS.
    This makes sense. Until he shows he can smash it, pitchers wonít be afraid to go at him without any RIsP.

Quote Originally Posted by bartron_44 View Post
    So you want to take up to 162 first inning PA's in front of our 2 best hitters and punt them? His numbers are good while batting first because he did so well the rest of the PA's when he didnt have to lead off. The one thing a manager can decide early on is the order in the first inning to try and score a run and you want to choose the guy that gets on base less than 27% of the time when he leads off the game? Not put him in a position to be the most successful?

I think I'd rather hit Biggio third than first, but for the team to have the best chance of scoring early :

Springer
    Biggio
    Bichette

work better than:

Biggio
    Springer
    Bichette

Springer actually gets worse as you drop him down the lineup. So I don't really want to hit him 3rd either.

Now, whether or not Biggio is the best choice to hit 2nd is a whole other argument. His .853 OPS in the 2 hole is nice, and he does do things well that helps help score runs like draw walks and run the base well. But could they do even better? They dont bunt as a team, and Biggio doesn't steal that many bases for that to really matter very much. What if they went with a top 7 of:

Springer
    Bichette
    Tellez
    Hernandez
    Vlad
    Gurriel
    Biggio
    Itís still shocking to me that we arenít talking about vlad hitting #3 and being a beast. Like it makes sense, but it sucks.

This makes sense. Until he shows he can smash it, pitchers wonít be afraid to go at him without any RIsP.
    Therefore, Springer should bat first cause he can smash it.

Itís still shocking to me that we arenít talking about vlad hitting #3 and being a beast. Like it makes sense, but it sucks.
    Because he hasn't earned it yet, however sometime during the season he may well be there or be hitting 4th.

Do teams shift on biggio when he is up with a runner on 1st? If not, maybe 2
    Hole would work for him

I was thinking similarly. All this talk about who leads off, what about the rest of the order? I guess a lot of that does depend on who leads off. But for 3-4-5 is it Vlad, LG, Teo? Or some order of that? Or does Bo or Springer hit 3rd? Can you slide Rowdy in at #5?

I honestly think we're going to see the Joe Madden approach with many different lineups depending on who's hot, who's resting and who's pitching.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast