Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





View Poll Results: Who do you want leading off and why?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Springer

    6 50.00%
  • Biggio

    6 50.00%
  • Bichette

    0 0%
  • Other

    0 0%
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 132

Thread: Who Leads Off?

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Rogers Centre
    Posts
    25,049
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    But why is a 9th hitter not expected/required to get on base? For me thatís the main thing they should be trying to do. Especially if you are starting the lineup with the boppers.

    I agree that he doesnít deserve to lose ABís though. Thatís my only reservation about the theory. If we had a speedster who gets OB but hits with a noodle then that is obviously the perfect 9hitter.
    It's not that they're not required to. It's more to do with that spot being reserved for one of, if not the worst hitter in the lineup which is either Grichuk or whoever catches. The philosophy being thrown around by some for Springer leading off is that you want your best hitters getting the most ABs. I use that same philosophy for the 9 spot. I want my worst hitter getting the least ABs.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Facts can be hypothetical.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    12,946
    Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    It's not that they're not required to. It's more to do with that spot being reserved for one of, if not the worst hitter in the lineup which is either Grichuk or whoever catches. The philosophy being thrown around by some for Springer leading off is that you want your best hitters getting the most ABs. I use that same philosophy for the 9 spot. I want my worst hitter getting the least ABs.
    Yeah which makes sense over the course of a full season. I get where youíre coming from. I just really hate our best hitters coming up with 2 outs already, when they could have biggio OB 40% of the time. I think you get where Iím coming from too.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    6,573
    Iím gonna lose my **** if I see it suggested again that biggio bat 7 8 or 9.

    Obp is undervalued in ops.

    23 pct k rate is refenced but what would it be with robo umps?

    Id put biggio as player-manager right now and fire chuckles
    Beeston: "we should be able to support a $140-$150 million payroll and that's the direction that we're headed."
    1.27.11

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    12,946
    Quote Originally Posted by wamco View Post
    Iím gonna lose my **** if I see it suggested again that biggio bat 7 8 or 9.

    Obp is undervalued in ops.

    23 pct k rate is refenced but what would it be with robo umps?

    Id put biggio as player-manager right now and fire chuckles
    Gonna lose it if ppl keep suggesting putting our best OBP guy before our best RBI guys?

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    2,815
    Start a new thread and discuss how one of the best eyes to come this way needs to bat at the bottom of the order.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    12,946
    Quote Originally Posted by hanton View Post
    Start a new thread and discuss how one of the best eyes to come this way needs to bat at the bottom of the order.
    This directed at me?

    The point is to get biggio before the big bats, while appeasing springers preference to lead off.
    As I said in one of these threads - I think springer will ultimately bat 2nd - after biggio.

    When I proposed the idea I was clear that this was 2k theory crafting, and have since said that it wonít work IRL and explains the reasons why.

    Meh.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    58,130
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic98 View Post
    He also has a 23% K rate.

    The question is if you have him higher who do you take ABs from keeping in mind between 1-5 that's on ave 70 PA which can be 7HRs for our mashers.

    AL Ave PA:
    1st - 762
    2nd - 743
    3rd - 725
    4th - 709
    5th - 693
    6th - 675
    7th - 657
    8th - 638
    9th - 618

    Again this isn't a bad problem from an organizational depth standpoint, it will be for those who lose some PAs. If all goes according to past trends and future progressions, we might end up with a top 3 MLB offense. Not sure we can go too wrong on the batting order, just goes by preferences.
    I already listed my batting order. Given half the team isnt proven compared to Biggio (despite the others having higher ceiling), i dont have a problem prefering biggio over others.
    Last edited by Raps18-19 Champ; 01-22-2021 at 06:08 PM.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Rogers Centre
    Posts
    25,049
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Yeah which makes sense over the course of a full season. I get where youíre coming from. I just really hate our best hitters coming up with 2 outs already, when they could have biggio OB 40% of the time. I think you get where Iím coming from too.
    Well that's the thing. If Springer is coming up after Biggio and Bichette then I don't expect there to be 2 outs. In all honesty though, I'm starting to warm up to the idea of Springer batting 2nd. He could match JD's production if he hits there.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Facts can be hypothetical.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    2,815
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    This directed at me?

    The point is to get biggio before the big bats, while appeasing springers preference to lead off.
    As I said in one of these threads - I think springer will ultimately bat 2nd - after biggio.

    When I proposed the idea I was clear that this was 2k theory crafting, and have since said that it wonít work IRL and explains the reasons why.

    Meh.
    Not really following the details but anyone wanting him to bat 9th/7th or anywhere around there needs to give their head a shake. Look at the chart below, good company

    Biggio is near the top of the league in Pitches per Plate Appearance, next best is Teo and Vlady. I want Biggio 1,2, or 3. Preferably 2 now that we have Springer.

    Springer
    Bioggio
    Bo
    Teo
    Vlady
    LGJ
    ....


  10. #40
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    2,815
    ...and I believe the above order is what Montoyo will deploy, modified slightly for days off/lefty/righty splits ....etc

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Rogers Centre
    Posts
    25,049
    Quote Originally Posted by hanton View Post
    Not really following the details but anyone wanting him to bat 9th/7th or anywhere around there needs to give their head a shake. Look at the chart below, good company

    Biggio is near the top of the league in Pitches per Plate Appearance, next best is Teo and Vlady. I want Biggio 1,2, or 3. Preferably 2 now that we have Springer.

    Springer
    Bioggio
    Bo
    Teo
    Vlady
    LGJ
    ....

    I'd also like to point out how the majority of the hitters on this list are power hitters. It's pretty impressive to see a guy that hits maybe half the amount of HRs as most of the guys on this list be able to command a strike zone in the same manner.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Facts can be hypothetical.

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Rogers Centre
    Posts
    25,049
    Quote Originally Posted by hanton View Post
    ...and I believe the above order is what Montoyo will deploy, modified slightly for days off/lefty/righty splits ....etc
    Until Vladdy proves himself I think you need to hit Gurriel in the 5 spot. For me personally he's exactly what I want out of a 5 hitter. Decent power stroke and the ability to hit it anywhere on the field.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Facts can be hypothetical.

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    2,815
    Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    Until Vladdy proves himself I think you need to hit Gurriel in the 5 spot. For me personally he's exactly what I want out of a 5 hitter. Decent power stroke and the ability to hit it anywhere on the field.
    Well I posted what I believe the order will be, will just wait until the season begins, it's a good problem to have though.

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Rogers Centre
    Posts
    25,049
    Quote Originally Posted by hanton View Post
    Well I posted what I believe the order will be, will just wait until the season begins, it's a good problem to have though.
    Absolutely. There's going to be a lot of them with the lineup this year lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Facts can be hypothetical.

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    6,573
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Gonna lose it if ppl keep suggesting putting our best OBP guy before our best RBI guys?
    - what do you think bill james would say?

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •