Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Who do you want leading off and why?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Springer

6 50.00%
  • Biggio

6 50.00%
  • Bichette

0 0%
  • Other

0 0%
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Who Leads Off?

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic98 View Post
    As I keep thinking about it, I'd try Grich 7, Jansen 8, Biggio 9. Biggio can act as a leadoff hitter in later innings, and allows Grich to keep his swing for the fences approach. What I hope is to wake up Jansen's bat by putting him in the 8th spot and not a 9th hitter's mentality of they don't expect me to hit. If that fails, Biggio 7, Grich 8th and Jansen 9th to recoup the PAs
    I dig the thought behind this.

I think I would have a tough time batting biggio 7th though. If that happens itís probably because biggio is struggling with OBP or because the rest of the lineup is crazy hot.

Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    I dig the thought behind this.

I think I would have a tough time batting biggio 7th though. If that happens itís probably because biggio is struggling with OBP or because the rest of the lineup is crazy hot.
    With the hitters we've got if they continue how they left off (Teo, Grich, Tellez, LGJ) and what they are capable (Springer, Bo, Vladdy) Biggio might be our 8th best hitter, which isn't a bad thing for us.

If this was 2K I would be putting biggio in the 9 spot ahead of Bo with springer batting 2nd. Unfortunately real life players donít see the huge value of batting 9th before the big boys. They want an extra AB.
    Less opportunities for the guy who was 4th in the AL in runs scored to score runs though. I hate the idea of giving Biggio the least amount of ABs on the team when heís already proven how lethal he is on the base paths. Not just with stealing bases but with grabbing an extra bag when someone hits a gapper. I donít understand the logic behind that.

Grichuk is also good on the base paths but he lacks the ability to get on base. A hitter like him would be much better suited for 9.

There no reason biggio is 9th lol.

Hes a top order guy as of this moment. Springer should be second but Im not complaining if he goes 1st. Biggio is our smartest hitter so him in front of a guy who will drive in runs will be good

Quote Originally Posted by Raps18-19 Champ View Post

Hes a top order guy as of this moment. Springer should be second but Im not complaining if he goes 1st. Biggio is our smartest hitter so him in front of a guy who will drive in runs will be good
    Biggio can't hit for .ave but he can draw a walk. He also strikes out way too much for his slugging %. If Jansen could get more hits, he'd be Biggio, we don't equate Jansen as a leadoff hitter because he walks at a high rate.

Springer should be first. Imagine 10-20 lead off HRs to help set the game tone and help relax our pitching.

Biggio can't hit for .ave but he can draw a walk. He also strikes out way too much for his slugging %. If Jansen could get more hits, he'd be Biggio, we don't equate Jansen as a leadoff hitter because he walks at a high rate.

Springer should be first. Imagine 10-20 lead off HRs to help set the game tone and help relax our pitching.
    Iím sorry but no, Jansen would not be Biggio with more hits. Youíre leaving out his speed and his ability to pick his spots on the base paths. Biggio is amazing at running the bases. Itís why you never see him get thrown out whether it be a stolen base or him advancing on a hit.

And imagine those homeruns with Biggio on base in front of him 37% of the time. But again, I really don't care who leads off. So many options.

If he can get on base for Springer, work the count, and run the basepath, then its fine if he doesnt always hit for average.

With the hitters we've got if they continue how they left off (Teo, Grich, Tellez, LGJ) and what they are capable (Springer, Bo, Vladdy) Biggio might be our 8th best hitter, which isn't a bad thing for us.
    Just really want that OBP before the RBI machines. Putting biggio 7th means he has grich and Jansen trying to cash him in. It just pains me to think about lol.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    Less opportunities for the guy who was 4th in the AL in runs scored to score runs though. I hate the idea of giving Biggio the least amount of ABs on the team when heís already proven how lethal he is on the base paths. Not just with stealing bases but with grabbing an extra bag when someone hits a gapper. I donít understand the logic behind that.

Grichuk is also good on the base paths but he lacks the ability to get on base. A hitter like him would be much better suited for 9.
    But why is a 9th hitter not expected/required to get on base? For me thatís the main thing they should be trying to do. Especially if you are starting the lineup with the boppers.

I agree that he doesnít deserve to lose ABís though. Thatís my only reservation about the theory. If we had a speedster who gets OB but hits with a noodle then that is obviously the perfect 9hitter.

Yeah. Hence 9th. Give the extra ABís to the HR mashers.

Again though - this theory is 2k hypothetical facts. Playing 1 game in a vacuum.
    IRL over the course of a season those extra ABís add up, and a players feelings are actual things that effect performance.

Maybe it makes sense in the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_noodles View Post
    And imagine those homeruns with Biggio on base in front of him 37% of the time. But again, I really don't care who leads off. So many options.
    Iíd bet we see springer that 2nd at the end of the day.

Yeah. Hence 9th. Give the extra ABís to the HR mashers.

Again though - this theory is 2k hypothetical facts. Playing 1 game in a vacuum.
    IRL over the course of a season those extra ABís add up, and a players feelings are actual things that effect performance.

Maybe it makes sense in the playoffs.
    You have to balance with OBP, working the count and consistency too.

We can have "HR mashers" who have issues staying consistent over 162 games (ie Teo), or guys who cant stay healthy like Gurriel and struggle to get on base like Grich.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    Iím sorry but no, Jansen would not be Biggio with more hits. Youíre leaving out his speed and his ability to pick his spots on the base paths. Biggio is amazing at running the bases. Itís why you never see him get thrown out whether it be a stolen base or him advancing on a hit.
    I meant with a bat, not feet or glove.

If he can get on base for Springer, work the count, and run the basepath, then its fine if he doesnt always hit for average.
    He also has a 23% K rate.

The question is if you have him higher who do you take ABs from keeping in mind between 1-5 that's on ave 70 PA which can be 7HRs for our mashers.

AL Ave PA:
    1st - 762
    2nd - 743
    3rd - 725
    4th - 709
    5th - 693
    6th - 675
    7th - 657
    8th - 638
    9th - 618

Again this isn't a bad problem from an organizational depth standpoint, it will be for those who lose some PAs. If all goes according to past trends and future progressions, we might end up with a top 3 MLB offense. Not sure we can go too wrong on the batting order, just goes by preferences.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast