Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: How would you use Nate Pearson?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep him as a starter

3 75.00%
  • Transfer him to BP if he struggles in 2021

1 25.00%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nate Pearson

Nate Pearson

Nate Pearson is going to get another shot at the rotation next year. If he struggles, do you give him the Osuna treatment and just fast track him to closer?

If we're being real, he has the makings of a shut down reliever all set and ready to go. I get that it was a SSS but he looked like a completely different pitcher out of the pen. On the year he threw his 4 seamer 50.6% Slider 36.1% Change 6.8% Curve 6.5%. As a starter his FB was around 95 mph but as a reliever he was lighting up the gun at 100 mph. Oh and teams run on him. He gave up a SB in 3/4 starts.

I'm all for giving him 2021 to be a starter but if he continues to struggle then I want to see him in the pen by 2022. What abut you guys?
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Facts can be hypothetical.

Nah you play him as a starter for at least 3 years. If he has injury issues or struggles as a starter then you move him to the pen.

A big NO.

Nope

To the nay sayers. What if this team is a title contender in 2022?

Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    To the nay sayers. What if this team is a title contender in 2022?
    Depends how 2021 and the beginning of 2022 go for him.
    In that scenario I could see him finishing the season in the BP if hes been struggling as a starter.

We wouldn't know if we are title contenders until midway through the season most likely. If he struggles and we are legit contenders then you move him to the pen for that post season. If he's doing well then keep him in the rotation.

Depends how 2021 and the beginning of 2022 go for him.
    In that scenario I could see him finishing the season in the BP if hes been struggling as a starter.
    I'm not expecting him to suddenly take off next year. If he's around a 4 ERA and actually developing a 3rd pitch then I'd still try him for 2022. If we see more of the same then there's no need to try though. Hitters just sit on a 95 mph fastball when he's a starter.

Maybe we should give elite prospects more than a single year to determine their long-term fate.

Quote Originally Posted by pebloemer View Post
    Maybe we should give elite prospects more than a single year to determine their long-term fate.
    Exactly. It actually goes for any prospect but especially for your top prospects. Organizations spend quite a bit of resources (time, money and effort) to develop players, some need more time than others.

I remember when we got Thornton, many pegged him as a reliever from the outset but I posted about this and said he needed to start with a move to the pen only if starting doesn't work out. Doesn't look good now but he was close to breaking out as a starter.

Quote Originally Posted by pebloemer View Post
    Team need > prospect

I'm operating under the assumption we're WS contenders in 2022.

Is that for hypothetical purposes or you actually think this team has a realistic shot at WS contenders by that time?

That might skew the results since most probably don't think we are surefire WS contenders so they'll focus on developing the prospects

Quote Originally Posted by Raps18-19 Champ View Post
    Is that for hypothetical purposes or you actually think this team has a realistic shot at WS contenders by that time?

That might skew the results since most probably don't think we are surefire WS contenders so they'll focus on developing the prospects
    I think they'll be WS contenders by 2022. Atkins added an ace last off-season and we're coming off a post-season berth. Do people actually think he's going to sit on his hands now that he's actually adding actual big name pieces and not washed up vets? There's not enough positions on the field for our overloaded farm to fill.

I think there's probably still a lot of flaws to say we are WS contenders. I think they'd be a good playoff lock in 2022 though with WS upside (mainly based on how young guys develop/maintain).

Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    Team need > prospect

I'm operating under the assumption we're WS contenders in 2022.
    There is a lot of time between now and then, that is a big assumption to make. Especially when the premise is "Nate Pearson is struggling as a starter." What does our assumptive world series contending rotation look like in 2022 then?

It certainly can happen, but I don't know what your obsession is with evaluating hypothetical situations in the future. We have a foundation for plenty to go right. It is excited, I definitely see and feel that. A lot can also go wrong. Being positioned well doesn't guarantee future success. Prospects can regress, injuries happen, investments can get squandered, clubhouse issues can creep up, owners can crack down on budget, etc etc.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast